Next to Boeheim, K knows the Syracuse zone best | Syracusefan.com

Next to Boeheim, K knows the Syracuse zone best

Let that sink in for a minute.
Boy they kept running the play where their big would catch the pass inside the foul line and immediately kick it back to the guy at the top of the three point line for sn open look. I bet they made 5 three pointers from that spot.

Boy they kept running the play where their big would catch the pass inside the foul line and immediately kick it back to the guy at the top of the three point line for sn open look. I bet they made 5 three pointers from that spot.
we'll see that play again.

Seemed to me our guards needed to stop collapsing on the guy at the foul line and stay on the Duke guards out at the 3 pt line.
The guys at the foul line were not shooting from there at all.

I think Jamie Dixon knows the Syracuse zone better than Coach K. They relied on the 3-pointer and made 15. They didn't shred the zone by any means. When Plumlee and Jefferson were getting the ball at the free throw line, they were only looking to pass and posed no shooting risk. Hood was the only one I can remember shooting from there. That's who should have been getting the ball there all game.

I think Jamie Dixon knows the Syracuse zone better than Coach K.
Disagree. Jamie Dixon did not bring Jim Boeheim on to his staff to coach the world's best basketball team. K did.

Disagree. Jamie Dixon did not bring Jim Boeheim on to his staff to coach the world's best basketball team. K did.

I see what your saying in that regard, but clearly Dixon knows how to attack the Syracuse zone. Duke relied heavily on the 3, which is rarely the best way to attacking zone. It worked with their exorbitant amount made though. Also, just because he knows how JB plays the zone, doesn't mean he knows how to play against it best. Hell, when teams zone us, it doesn't look like we know what's going on. And those are generally mediocre zones.

Coach K knows the zone better than anyone who has not actually played against it previously. Boeheim knowing K's secrets to coaching isn't quite as advantageous as his is a more conventional style.

85SUAlum said:
Seemed to me our guards needed to stop collapsing on the guy at the foul line and stay on the Duke guards out at the 3 pt line.

I was saying the same thing. The next time we play, the guards should change it up and just let the driver go and retreat to the shooter. Maybe change it up every now and then so it isn't predicable.

I was saying the same thing. The next time we play, the guards should change it up and just let the driver go and retreat to the shooter. Maybe change it up every now and then so it isn't predicable.
I don't mind giving up the occasional open 3 off a pass from the post, but the guards should not help on a driver. Our bigs do a good job protecting the rim. They don't need help from the guards vs. penetration.

I think Jamie Dixon knows the Syracuse zone better than Coach K. They relied on the 3-pointer and made 15. They didn't shred the zone by any means. When Plumlee and Jefferson were getting the ball at the free throw line, they were only looking to pass and posed no shooting risk. Hood was the only one I can remember shooting from there. That's who should have been getting the ball there all game.
Parker was starting to do some damage there, but then he fouled out. I think we see a lot more of him getting the ball at that spot in Cameron.

Parker was starting to do some damage there, but then he fouled out. I think we see a lot more of him getting the ball at that spot in Cameron.
True. Hopefully our bigs are ready.

I don't mind giving up the occasional open 3 off a pass from the post, but the guards should not help on a driver. Our bigs do a good job protecting the rim. They don't need help from the guards vs. penetration.
Flip side is... maybe the guards helping out was part of what kept our bigs out of foul trouble.

I thought our zone D was terrible tonight. Sure Duke has the players to exploit it or else it wouldn't matter, however we gave them way too many open looks. Our guards (particularly TE) would follow the driver down even though the drive had no intention of doing anything other than kick it out. The good news is there is plenty of video for coach to highlight to the kids the mistakes they were making.

so not only were they getting wide open look after wide open look..when they missed, we were horrid at getting the ball. It was as if we thought that once they missed, the job was done.

Our offensive efficiency tonight is the only reason we were victorious.

Marsh01 said:

Miami last week hit at least 3 threes off the same play.

It's easy to beat anyone, no matter the defense, when you have five guys who can shoot 40% from three.

The Duke-Kryshefski (?) offensive onslaught is the perfect contrast to the Syracuse-Boeheim zone. If basketball was football with a defensive and offensive unit, their team would be unstoppable.

If basketball was football with a defensive and offensive unit, their team would be unstoppable.
That's why K brought JB on for USA Basketball.

I was just thinking that if we would just stop very play that ever scored against us we could be undefeated and maybe ranked number 1. So why don't we learn from our mistakes and shut other teams out. This team just doesn't get it.

Then I was thinking that I'm finally settling down from the game and should maybe just go to bed.

zzzzzz #1 zzzzzz #1 #1 #1 #1…...

Exactly. The guards MUST be more disciplined than they were tonight.

Marsh01 said:

We've been falling for that play over and over again lately. The problem tonight was we met a team with the shooters to take advantage of it. Fortunately, it did not cost us the game but it has to be an area of emphasis for improvement on de.

I'd put Calhoun and Wright in the same league as Dixon for past zone shreddings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom