Next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

Be careful what you wish for. There is a > 0% probability that Battle, Brissett, Chukwu, and Dolezaj all leave. We replace them with a bunch of freshmen and are back exactly where we are this season.

Dolezaj is the Euro Durant so I can see why he would leave . Brissett is the canadian Paul George.

OK cool I bet we don't make the Elite 8 next year. Care to wager ?

thats not really a legit bet. Betting any team to not get to the elite 8 is going to be a heavy favorite

OK cool I bet we don't make the Elite 8 next year. Care to wager ?

You must live a miserable life to bet against your team to make an elite 8, but since you put it out there I’ll bet 100. Mark it down.

You must live a miserable life to bet against your team to make an elite 8, but since you put it out there I’ll bet 100. Mark it down.

You're the one so happy Battle isn't as good as we thought. Booked.

I think you two guys just made a ridiculous bet. Some of our best teams didn't make the elite 8. Some of our very average teams did. Wouldn't regular season wins make a lot more sense?

IMO next year is JB's last/best shot with Carey and Bazely. If OB and TB leave, as has been hinted at, and Frank and Chewy are starting, that spells trouble because neither are very good.

We'll likely be coming off two straight NIT's.

We'll have the oldest D1 coach whose zone only mindset doesn't work in today's game with players leaving early for the NBA. It requires time to learn.

We play an ugly slow paced game now, one that's not attractive to recruits and really hard to watch.

I hope we have enough depth next year for JB to make one more run. I don't see it. I also think recruiting will become that much harder. Fingers crossed for next year.

IMO next year is JB's last/best shot with Carey and Bazely. If OB and TB leave, as has been hinted at, and Frank and Chewy are starting, that spells trouble because neither are very good.

We'll likely be coming off two straight NIT's.

We'll have the oldest D1 coach whose zone only mindset doesn't work in today's game with players leaving early for the NBA. It requires time to learn.

We play an ugly slow paced game now, one that's not attractive to recruits and really hard to watch.

I hope we have enough depth next year for JB to make one more run. I don't see it.i also think recruiting will become that much harder. Fingers crossed for next year.

We have gone to two final fours in the last 5 years. The zone stills works. It needs talent and that has been in short supply for a number of reasons. That won't be true next year. And OB is going nowhere. Nowhere. And back to the zone, I see more teams playing zone now than I have ever seen playing it.

I think you two guys just made a ridiculous bet. Some of our best teams didn't make the elite 8. Some of our very average teams did. Wouldn't regular season wins make a lot more sense?

Whatever uncle skurey wants to bet I will take. It’s better than his H0T Takes.

We have gone to two final fours in the last 5 years. The zone stills works. It needs talent and that has been in short supply for a number of reasons. That won't be true next year. And OB is going nowhere. Nowhere. And back to the zone, I see more teams playing zone now than I have ever seen playing it.

Unfortunately talent doesn't stay very long here, and will be harder to recruit with an old inflexible coach, and two NIT's. Yes there are other reasons. But I think recruiting for the zone is hurting this program, and I know I'm not alone.

Very possible that Battle is fed up w/ JB and just wants to get to the league, or G-League and start making money w/o JB all over him, same goes for Brissett. Chukwu can be a grad transfer, eligible immediately. I'm sure he'd have 50+ coaches calling him. Dolezaj could go back to Europe. Do we really think he came here for the education? Is he going to stay 4 years? Probably not. This season has been a disaster, why not go home to Europe and make $100k in a lower league.
The way Marek was barking at JB tonight, no chance I see him coming back next year. None.

It's not going to be as good as we hope

Not only is it possible (or likely) that the individual players won't be as good as expected, but does anyone really think that Syracuse will suddenly run offensive sets that move the other defense around? That we'll get back to transition scoring? Heck, is it expected that among these talented recruits a true point guard is going to emerge?

The way Marek was barking at JB tonight, no chance I see him coming back next year. None.

During one of those second-half timeouts, the kid did have a look of "What are you dropping ABCDE__-bombs at me for? I traveled 6,000 miles to help you out, it's not my fault I'm playing fatigued for a team that runs an uglier offense than my Mickey Mouse club team in Europe."

Mike’s handle was much more competent. Silent G looked like an off-guard trying to run the point. Frank looks like Todd Burgan trying to the point.
Silent G had how many years under his belt before he had the ball in his hands nearly as much as Frank?

You're the one so happy Battle isn't as good as we thought. Booked.

No. I knew he wasn’t as good as Melo, but I thought he would be better. I just think your H0T Takes are annoying.

doc-holliday-cup-spin-tombstone-o_orig.gif

Silent G had how many years under his belt before he had the ball in his hands nearly as much as Frank?

His senior year, but don’t bother with Francopizza. Guy never answers when he’s called out.

And I don't think Gbinije ever got to a decent level with his dribble, it's just easy to romanticize the good ol' days of two years ago. The guy could get to the rim off the dribble and find an open jump shooter, and sometimes bring the ball up against pressure (but not really initiate offense in those games). That was it.

Frank's not a natural, and I don't think he'll improve by leaps and bounds at this stage, but he's made some incremental improvements. I've noticed that he's picking up his dribble (yeah, basic stuff, I know) a lot less when his first drive option is cut off. Baby steps. He's not going to be a good college point guard, but he's probably going to continue to get better.

Where would any of them go? The way they look on the court they should be spending as much time on their studies as possible cuz they’re gonna need real ppl jobs.

Not that I agree with him lol but this is what worries me.

Chukwu will be 23 at season's end. He will also have his degree.

Brissett will be 21 (!) at the beginning of next season

Dolezaj is such a wild card because who knows what he wants to do

Battle could leave to the NBA/GL but who knows.

Why is next year going to be so much better? Yes, we'll have a stud in Bazley and more depth, but the offensive system will absolutely have to do a 180. We have to hope Carey can play PG and play it well. We need better outside shooting, especially since it seems that's what this current system will rely on. We need better interior play and have to hope Sidibe is healthy, improved and ready to play big minutes.

There is likely to be some more roster turnover this spring, so we aren't even sure what the team will look like. But right now, I find it hard to believe we'll be a top 10-15 team unless we see major changes and improvements.

OB is 19 right now, 20 in June.

PC does turn 23 in a few months.

Marek is a few months older than OB, 20 in April.

HW turns 20 next month.

Tyus turned 20 in the fall

Frank is 21 in April.

Bourama turned 20 in November.

Moyer turns 21 in June.

Hughes will be 20 next month.

We may be young in terms of college experience this year, but this is not a young team, age-wise. A lot of these guys may not have much more "growing" to do.

Brissett is not going anywhere. I don't care about the age thing. He has a legit shot to be a top 10 pick...next year. Everyone else? Battle is by far most likely to leave, followed by Marek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom