Next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

OB is 19 right now, 20 in June.

PC does turn 23 in a few months.

Marek is a few months older than OB, 20 in April.

HW turns 20 next month.

Tyus turned 20 in the fall

Frank is 21 in April.

Bourama turned 20 in November.

Moyer turns 21 in June.

Hughes will be 20 next month.

We may be young in terms of college experience this year, but this is not a young team, age-wise. A lot of these guys may not have much more "growing" to do.

You're right on OB. I read it wrong so thank you.

That's my fear though as why some guys may leave who you wouldn't expect. Ain't gettin' any younger

And back to the zone, I see more teams playing zone now than I have ever seen playing it.
The offense is so bad we have to take a break from the man vs zone rituals... but seriously, nobody has a gripe with the zone as a tool in the toolbox. I think the priority list of things to fix are probably in this order:

1a. the halfcourt offense - we need some basic competency. a natural point guard would solve some of it but players without the ball still have no clue what to do.
1b. the tempo - JB has given up on the fast break
2. zone exclusivity (even some occasional full court pressure like Pitino used to do would be fine for many I suspect)

OAFs.
Orphan Annie Fans . "tomorrow,tomorrow, we luv you tomorrow...always a day away !"

We have gone to two final fours in the last 5 years. The zone stills works. It needs talent and that has been in short supply for a number of reasons. That won't be true next year. And OB is going nowhere. Nowhere. And back to the zone, I see more teams playing zone now than I have ever seen playing it.

SU's zone and other zones are two different things. No one plays zone like us. And OUR zone does require some time to learn in order to play it well. We actually had enough talent last year but had guys with little experience in the SU system. Combine that with recruits that refuse to even consider Syracuse because of the all zone stance, and an old coach IMO it is a problem.

SU's zone and other zones are two different things. No one plays zone like us. And OUR zone does require some time to learn in order to play it well. We actually had enough talent last year but had guys with little experience in the SU system. Combine that with recruits that refuse to even consider Syracuse because of the all zone stance, and IMO it is a problem.
And you know of all of these recruits that refuse to go to Syracuse because of the zone?? I call B.S. on that. Does it happen? Sure. But it is rare.

OAFs.
Orphan Annie Fans . "tomorrow,tomorrow, we luv you tomorrow...always a day away !"
Yeah, because we have never been any good. And there is no reason to feel good about a team that will have a top 10 kid in Bazley combined with players with experience returning.

And you know of all of these recruits that refuse to go to Syracuse because of the zone?? I call B.S. on that. Does it happen? Sure. But it is rare.

I can't even count the number of times people have posted on these message boards that players aren't interested in us so we don't pursue them. I guess there's no way to quantify it but I suspect it's higher than we think. The Syracuse brand of basketball is now ugly and boring.

I can't even count the number of times people have posted on these message boards that players aren't interested in us so we don't pursue them. I guess there's no way to quantify it but I suspect it's higher than we think. The Syracuse brand of basketball is now ugly and boring.
???? With very few exceptions, that is true of every program. I would bet weather is a lot more of a factor than zone ever was. The city surrounding the school is another. Not exactly a happening place.

???? With very few exceptions, that is true of every program. I would bet weather is a lot more of a factor than zone ever was. The city surrounding the school is another. Not exactly a happening place.

That's fair. But combine the city/weather and having the oldest D1 coach who plays only zone and it is IMO a BIG problem. The city and the weather have also never prevented us from recruiting in the past. So IMO it has more to do with the age of our coach and his refusal to stop playing zone exclusively. We can't change the weather or the city, but we can change tactics.

Last edited:
That's fair. But combine the city/weather and having the oldest D1 coach who plays only zone and it is IMO a BIG problem. The city and the weather have also never prevented us from recruiting in the past. So IMO it has more to do with the age of our coach and his refusal to stop playing zone exclusively. We can't change the weather or the city, but we can change tactics.
The zone has never stopped us from getting players either. You shifted the goal posts. The age of the coach is or at least will be, a very big issue for us coming up.

During one of those second-half timeouts, the kid did have a look of "What are you dropping ABCDE__-bombs at me for? I traveled 6,000 miles to help you out, it's not my fault I'm playing fatigued for a team that runs an uglier offense than my Mickey Mouse club team in Europe."
Yeah I saw that - he gives that face to Frank too. It doesn't look like anyone is having fun on the team and the reactions to JB"s "coaching" tips from the kids is always interesting. Marek is not the only one who gives that face. Wins are fun but basketball is fun and should be fun for those playing and we don't look like we are having any. Not an insider or Nostradamus but I don't think Tyus is the only guy not back next year - either by choice or by push.

The zone has never stopped us from getting players either. You shifted the goal posts. The age of the coach is or at least will be, a very big issue for us coming up.

Note: I don’t really mind the all zone. Do I wish we switched defenses more and were less predictable? Sure. But, the all zone DOES stop us from getting players. Certain players eliminate us immediately because of it. Some publicly denounce it. Then you have to decide who to agressively pursue/visit once it is confirmed after putting the feelers out that they would be all right with playing all zone.

I didn't shift goal posts...the age of our coach was in my original post as a big factor. The zone IMO has prevented us from landing players. People (even we'll respected posters on this page) comment routinely that some recruits just don't want to play zone so we are eliminated before we have a chance to recruit them. How many we recruits we lose isn't quantifiable so neither of us can prove our stances. Anyhow, this was my original post:

IMO next year is JB's last/best shot with Carey and Bazely. If OB and TB leave, as has been hinted at, and Frank and Chewy are starting, that spells trouble because neither are very good.

We'll likely be coming off two straight NIT's.

We'll have the oldest D1 coach whose zone only mindset doesn't work in today's game with players leaving early for the NBA. It requires time to learn.

We play an ugly slow paced game now, one that's not attractive to recruits and really hard to watch.

I hope we have enough depth next year for JB to make one more run. I don't see it. I also think recruiting will become that much harder. Fingers crossed for next year.

Carey posted on his Snapchat that he was offered to play in for LaVar Ball in Lithuania. You've got to be kidding with this crap.

Carey posted on his Snapchat that he was offered to play in for LaVar Ball in Lithuania. You've got to be kidding with this crap.

Please tell me this is a joke

What about the zone coupled with a snail's tempo and an offensive system that is best described as stagnant?

Playing the zone is fine, but when the players are forced to play at such a slow pace without pushing the pace or attacking on offense, I think it can be very hard to sell to kids.

... The age of the coach is or at least will be, a very big issue for us coming up.
Father time is undefeated.

There are reasons why no basketball coach has won an NCAA tournament game beyond the age of 72. When next season starts, Boeheim will be the oldest coach in D1 history, so I hope he continues to break records.

Can Carey get out of his signed letter of intent?
If he doesn't want to play college basketball, he doesn't have to.

I'd be shocked if any kid signed up to play in this any time soon, unless they don't qualify academically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom