Next year | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

Honestly, this doesn’t seem like a great collection of guys. Hate to lump them all together, but the lack of effort and control these “kids” show is beyond pathetic. We weren’t good the past couple of years, but at least they tried.
There was alot of lack of effort the past few years
"Team players" are a rare find in today's collegiate world. For all
those who think the portal and NIL are positive to the college
game, all I can say is you're welcome to your opinion.

Pitino hit the nail on the head with his assessment. We're at an
unmanageable and unrealistic point right now. We're talking
about paid professionals who have no contractual obligation
to their employer (university). Just think how the NBA would
function with one year contracts and players moving at will
year to year. Not my idea of a great way to run a business or
create fan support.
The schools, the NCAA and the players have no idea how they’re cratering fan support across college sports but they are.

I really don’t know what to think about next year. Lack of development from Bell and Taylor is a huge disappointment.
JJ is a worse defender than Girard or Buddy. And not as good of a scorer as either.
Freemen and Moore are talented but both are really thin and will be freshman. Hard to rely on that.
Centers stink. It’s as simple as that.
My most controversial take. Maliq is a nice player but where do you play him. Not big enough to pay center and he cant shoot enough to play the four. On a good team he is your third big man.
Can’t count on Westry. Kid has been hurt for two years. Anything you get from him should be considered a bonus.
Unless they can get at least two, hopefully three good transfers i don’t see a tournament team next year.
maliq is the best kid on the team. He can shoot, he just doesnt enough. he is a perfect four for us. R we watching the same guy. He has 2x the basketball iq that anyone on team has. He does all the dirty work. I am so confused right now if u cant see that.

I agree wholeheartedly. Did Cope say or do something idont know about.
There's been a lot of comments about Cope leaving early or Cope leaving after the season, and, quite frankly, I'm completely at a loss about it. I think he got chippy for 2 seconds at Wake Forest and it's getting blown out of proportion. He's a very positive person, fits his roll well for Red's system, and should be retained for next year.

Cuffe is terrible.
cuffe ain't getting enuf minutes to fully evaluate . the few he gets are either mop up or no mas.
i believe he should be spelling starling and judah first half every game. bring him in to pressure backcourt get steals and rest your starters . BTW 32 % deep don't suck. buddy shot 34% as a senior.

maliq is the best kid on the team. He can shoot, he just doesnt enough. he is a perfect four for us. R we watching the same guy. He has 2x the basketball iq that anyone on team has. He does all the dirty work. I am so confused right now if u cant see that.
I don’t disagree with anything you said except that he is the perfect four for us. If that’s the case then why didn’t he start over Taylor or Bell when McLeod was healthy? Not my decision, just the guys who get paid millions to make them.
He is a good player. He is very smart, works hard, and is selfless, but he is flawed. Not big enough to play the five and I haven’t seen enough on offense to think he can play the 4 next to a traditional 5. Put him next to a JP Estrella type and that changes.
The problem is not Maliq, the problem is he can’t be the second best player on your team if you want to finish in the top of the league. That’s on the other players and coaches not him.

Last edited:
He shoots 27% from 3 and has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.
And frankly, I'm done with guys who spurned Cuse previously, but haven't exactly covered themselves in glory elsewhere.

Dean has been beating the TJ Power drum for a while now, but I don't know how he would fit in the starting rotation to keep everyone happy.

And frankly, I'm done with guys who spurned Cuse previously, but haven't exactly covered themselves in glory elsewhere.

Dean has been beating the TJ Power drum for a while now, but I don't know how he would fit in the starting rotation to keep everyone happy.
I think he would play the 3. That wouldn’t be a terrible pickup. I was mad we didn’t recruit him in the first place out of high school.

I don’t disagree with anything you said except that he is the perfect four for us. If that’s the case then why didn’t he start over Taylor or Bell when McLeod was healthy? Not my decision, just the guys who get paid millions to make them.
He is a good player. He is very smart works hard and is selfless, but he is flawed. Not big enough to play the five and I haven’t seen enough on offense to think he can play the 4 next to a traditional 5. Put him next to a JP Estrella type and that changes.
The problem is not Maliq, the problem is he can’t be the second best player on your team if you want to finish in the top of the league. That’s on the other players and coaches not him.
I love Maliq and would take him first if drafting guys on our team. That said, I agree that his offense is unproven beyond rolls and put backs. He is great but he can't be your best guy and have your team competing in the upper echelon. Red needs to bring in some players who can assist him.

cuffe ain't getting enuf minutes to fully evaluate . the few he gets are either mop up or no mas.
i believe he should be spelling starling and judah first half every game. bring him in to pressure backcourt get steals and rest your starters . BTW 32 % deep don't suck. buddy shot 34% as a senior.
Doesn't pass the eye test for me.

Too small, not good enough handle, and not a knock down shooter (Buddy not exactly a great comparison).

(Buddy not exactly a great comparison).
true enuf . cuffe actually comes off the bench. something buddy never had to worry about. (most mpg acc).

If year two is full of double-digit losses to peer programs, he could be let-go.
I hope red understood he was inheriting a fan base that has lived through a decade of disenchantment. It may be year 1 for him but he will not get the longer leash that other first timers might otherwise have, especially since he reflects a continuation of the JB era.

I would hope the expectation is to make the NCAA in year 2 or pack your bags. We’re not talking a high seed, just make the cut.

Year 3+ should be top 4 in conference just like JW stipulated.

true enuf . cuffe actually comes off the bench. something buddy never had to worry about. (most mpg acc).
Sure, Buddy got minutes. He was also asked to do a lot and be our leading scorer. Completely different players, roles, defensive game plans, etc.

Sure, Buddy got minutes. He was also asked to do a lot and be our leading scorer. Completely different players, roles, defensive game plans, etc.
and different last names. some here would say recruiting over was an issue.

I think Autry's biggest challenge this summer is going to be talent evaluation and salesmanship. We had an 8-2 stretch that seemed to indicate we were heading in the right direction, and now the wheels have fallen off.

Part of that is attributable to him taking chances on so many guys coming off injuries through the portal. He can't do that this year. But if we only win a game or two the rest of the season, how hard is his task going to be to get good players to come here?

I think Autry's biggest challenge this summer is going to be talent evaluation and salesmanship. We had an 8-2 stretch that seemed to indicate we were heading in the right direction, and now the wheels have fallen off.

Part of that is attributable to him taking chances on so many guys coming off injuries through the portal. He can't do that this year. But if we only win a game or two the rest of the season, how hard is his task going to be to get good players to come here?
Outside of FSU all of our issues have come on the road. Considering we have 5 home games left I certainly think we win more than 1 or 2. Louisville, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech are the games we should win. At Louisville, at Georgia Tech and at NC State are doable too.

I don't have much hope for Clemson or UNC.

Outside of FSU all of our issues have come on the road. Considering we have 5 home games left I certainly think we win more than 1 or 2. Louisville, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech are the games we should win. At Louisville, at Georgia Tech and at NC State are doable too.

I don't have much hope for Clemson or UNC.

Yes, that makes sense, but we should have beaten BC on the road and Florida State at home. So, I'm not counting on anything at this point. Remember the very beginning of the season, when many people wondered if we would win more than 10 games? We're kind of back in that spot.

Yes, that makes sense, but we should have beaten BC on the road and Florida State at home. So, I'm not counting on anything at this point. Remember the very beginning of the season, when many people wondered if we would win more than 10 games? We're kind of back in that spot.
Why are we back at that spot? Because Benny who did little all season is not here?

We were blown out against FSU and came back and blew out NC State. We were blown out against UNC and came back and beat Pitt on the road. We were blown out against UVA and won 5 in a row. Benny didn't really provide much all season. I don't think anything changes. We will probably go 5-4 or 4-5 down the stretch and finish with 18-20 wins.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of comments about Cope leaving early or Cope leaving after the season, and, quite frankly, I'm completely at a loss about it. I think he got chippy for 2 seconds at Wake Forest and it's getting blown out of proportion. He's a very positive person, fits his roll well for Red's system, and should be retained for next year.
yeah i totally agree. Kid cheers his ass off for his teammates when he isnt playing. I love him. He has to refine his play sometimes but he is an amazing passer who always looks to help his teammates first and then himself. Truly hope he stays.

He is a good player. He is very smart, works hard, and is selfless, but he is flawed. Not big enough to play the five and I haven’t seen enough on offense to think he can play the 4 next to a traditional 5. Put him next to a JP Estrella type and that changes.
ok i see the difference we have is u havent seen him show the offense and i think he can. Makes sense.

Dirty work guys shouldn’t be your best player, they should be a 4th - 7th best guy.

yeah i totally agree. Kid cheers his ass off for his teammates when he isnt playing. I love him. He has to refine his play sometimes but he is an amazing passer who always looks to help his teammates first and then himself. Truly hope he stays.

Yeah, i dunno but hope he stays too.

He jacked a 3 and Red immediately took him out.

Red probably told him he doesn't want him jacking 3's.

Benny also jacked a few ill-advised 3-point clangers.

Anyways, big cultural statement from Red this week.

Players better do what he tells them to do, not what they feel like doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom