NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 117 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

Brees and Ben have won 3 playoff games this decade.

Matt Ryan 4.

Rivers 2. 5 in his career.

Eli 4 this decade.

Let’s nit lose focuse today though, it should be all Jets all the time.

Evan & Joe at 10 will be Dog after the 04 ALCS epic...

Foles 4 all as an underdog.

I like the underdogs in the first three games and in NO/Philly I think the line looks about right. I really like the Colts with 5.5 and think they win outright. Their OL is excellent and should control the line of scrimmage while their D is underrated.

I don't get the Dallas line. LAR are wildly overrated, have a lousy run defense and Zeke should run all over them. I'm all over that seven tho my only fear is that Dak and the Clapper muck it up. I'd also suspect there will be as many Dallas fans as LA fans so HFA is no big deal.

There is a commonality with these two games. Both favorites peaked a while ago.

I couldn’t take an Iggs/Boys NFC championship game.

Mostly because the odds a division rival sweeps three in one year are 0.0

(Unless it was the Patsies vs an AFC East tomoato can)

I like the underdogs in the first three games and in NO/Philly I think the line looks about right. I really like the Colts with 5.5 and think they win outright. Their OL is excellent and should control the line of scrimmage while their D is underrated.

I don't get the Dallas line. LAR are wildly overrated, have a lousy run defense and Zeke should run all over them. I'm all over that seven tho my only fear is that Dak and the Clapper muck it up. I'd also suspect there will be as many Dallas fans as LA fans so HFA is no big deal.

There is a commonality with these two games. Both favorites peaked a while ago.

Overrated a month+ ago maybe. It seems like everyone has jumped off the Rams wagon and likes Dallas there but the line aint budging. I don't think I want any part of that game. [I think if the Bears have won and looked good they'd be the biggest square dog in history this week, kinda sad they didn't].
I agree on the other 3. The AFC home teams aren't even better but big edge their opponents were also on the road in week 17 so that's 3 straight.

Holy Chit as we speculated Adam Gaze to the NYJ.
I wonder if Kaiser did buy www.fireadamgaze.com

Par for the course that an AFC East team retreads another failed HC.

But this in no way has made it easy for NE to dominate that clown show of a division.

The Ginger Clapper would own the NFC East if the Iggs, Jints and Skins were so adept at picking HCs.

Par for the course that an AFC East team retreads another failed HC.

But this in no way has made it easy for NE to dominate that clown show of a division.

The Ginger Clapper would own the NFC East if the Iggs, Jints and Skins were so adept at picking HCs.
The Ginger Clapper has been the most successful regular season HC in the NFC East the last 5 years.
He has the most division titles. His team just chokes in the playoffs.
Since the last Giants SB in 2012 The Giants, Cowboys Redskins have 1 more playoff wins than the Jets, Dolphins, Bills have.
The NFC East hasn’t exactly been the 1980s/early 90s for a while.

The Ginger Clapper has been the most successful regular season HC in the NFC East the last 5 years.
Since the last Giants SB in 2012 The Giants, Cowboys Redskins have 1 more playoff wins than the Jets, Dolphins, Bills have.

Two things I learned from your post:

1.) The Iggs are no longer in the NFC East.
2.) The Patsy dynasty started in 2012.

Good stuff.

Edit - the Ginger Clapper is also the longest tenured coach in the NFC East. Going slightly better than .500 over 9 years is better than any Dolphins, Bills or Jets coach in the same time period.

But sure, Andy Reid and Tom Coughlin were long tenured NFC East coaches who can't hold a candle to coaching behemoths like Dick Jauron, Joe Philbin and Todd Bowles.

Last edited:
Brees and Ben have played at pro bowl levels the last 5 years.
Ryan has won an MVP and been a top 10 QB.
Rivers has played at a pro bowl level this year and these past 5 years.
Since 2013 Eli has been a middle of the road to bottom half of the league QB.

Sorry but all those guys you have cited have played at higher level since Eli won his 2nd SB.

I just looked at the careers of Eli, Ben, Rivers it is so laughable how you defend Eli.
NFL Quarterback Win/Loss Records | The Football Database

I give Eli has two SBs those are huge but his seasons are just not ever top of the league. Not one time.
Eli is Joe Flacco with 5 more years playing and more importantly a 2nd SB.
Just admit all you care about is regular season won/loss record and we can put this to bed.

Two things I learned from your post:

1.) The Iggs are no longer in the NFC East.
2.) The Patsy dynasty started in 2012.

Good stuff.

Edit - the Ginger Clapper is also the longest tenured coach in the NFC East. Going slightly better than .500 over 9 years is better than any Dolphins, Bills or Jets coach in the same time period.

But sure, Andy Reid and Tom Coughlin were long tenured NFC East coaches who can't hold a candle to coaching behemoths like Dick Jauron, Joe Philbin and Todd Bowles.
I left New England and Philadelphia out on purpose as you are a Eagles fan.
Tom Coughlin went 102-90 as the NYG coach. The giants have been feast or famine. Which if I were a Giants fan I got no problem with as long as they win titles which is exactly what they have done.

Patriots have the best record in the NFL since Brady was the QB in 2002 against the other conference.
The fact the AFC East been medicore has nothing to do with the fact the Patriots would win the division or not.
Their dominance has hurt the other division teams.
If the Patriots were in the NFC East they would own the Cowboys and Redskins probably split with the Giants/Eagles and then win 8 or 9 of the other 10 games like they have done.

Just admit all you care about is regular season won/loss record and we can put this to bed.
I care about how good you play in the regular season and how your team does.
It’s a combo. Eli has the 2 rings which is all you should really care about because they are his legacy. However the guy hasn’t been a top tier QB in the regular season.

This is the most offensive thing someone has ever posted about me on this website.

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan.
Oh I honestly don’t know. I thought you were an Eagles fan I apologize then.
My point stands though the Brady/Belichick Patriots would dominate any division the last 20 years. The years they won their last 4 SBs wouldn’t have been affected by an division they were in.
The first one was a fluke team strength wise.
The Jets/Dolphins/Bills would have won some division titles with 8-10 wins in multiple years these last 20 years if the Patriots were in another division but they are just blocked.

The NFC East was the golden standard when it was
Parcells-Giants
Landry/Johnson-Cowboys
Gibbs-Redskins
Ryan-Eagles

That is a long time ago. Salary cap leveled the playing field in 1993.

Oh I honestly don’t know. I thought you were an Eagles fan I apologize then.
My point stands though the Brady/Belichick Patriots would dominate any division the last 20 years. The years they won their last 4 SBs wouldn’t have been affected by an division they were in.
The first one was a fluke team strength wise.
The Jets/Dolphins/Bills would have won some division titles with 8-10 wins in multiple years these last 20 years if the Patriots were in another division but they are just blocked.

The NFC East was the golden standard when it was
Parcells-Giants
Landry/Johnson-Cowboys
Gibbs-Redskins
Ryan-Eagles

That is a long time ago. Salary cap leveled the playing field in 1993.

You're nuts.

Compare the head coaches since Belichick took over the Pats in 2000:

Boys - Campo, Parcells, Phillips, Garrett
Jints - Fassel, Couhglin, McAdoo, Shurmur (2 coaches went to SB)
Iggs - Reid, Kelly, Pederson (2 coaches went to SB)
Skins - Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan, Gruden (No SBs)

Dolphins - Wannstache/Bates, Saban, Cameron, Sparano, Philbin, Gase,
Jets - Groh, Edwards, Mangenious, Ryan, Bowles, Gase
Bills - Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Ryan, McDermott

At least NFC East teams hired a few retread SB winning or HOF coaches. NE feasted on coordinator du jour's or hacks who never became HC again for nearly all of Belichick's tenure. Clown show of a division.

I left out interim coaches.

Edit - every NFC East team (Skins included) has won at least 2 division titles since 2000. AFC East tiles since 2000 are Miami - 2, NYJ - 1, Bills - 0, Pats - the rest.

Last edited:
Overrated a month+ ago maybe. It seems like everyone has jumped off the Rams wagon and likes Dallas there but the line aint budging. I don't think I want any part of that game. [I think if the Bears have won and looked good they'd be the biggest square dog in history this week, kinda sad they didn't].
I agree on the other 3. The AFC home teams aren't even better but big edge their opponents were also on the road in week 17 so that's 3 straight.

Overrated by the betting community. LA has been burning $$$ all year long yet bettors keep throwing that money out the window. Bettors certainly haven't jumped off the bandwagon. They're a good bully when they play a bad team but when they play the better teams they get exposed.

Aaron Donald is amazing but the rest of their D is mediocre. Not sold on Goff either and he really misses Cupp.

You're nuts.

Compare the head coaches since Belichick took over the Pats in 2000:

Boys - Campo, Parcells, Phillips, Garrett
Jints - Fassel, Couhglin, McAdoo, Shurmur (2 coaches went to SB)
Iggs - Reid, Kelly, Pederson (2 coaches went to SB)
Skins - Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan, Gruden (No SBs)

Dolphins - Wannstache/Bates, Saban, Cameron, Sparano, Philbin, Gase,
Jets - Groh, Edwards, Mangenious, Ryan, Bowles, Gase
Bills - Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Ryan, McDermott

At least NFC East teams hired a few retread SB winning or HOF coaches. NE feasted on coordinator du jour's or hacks who never became HC again for nearly all of Belichick's tenure. Clown show of a division.

I left out interim coaches.

Edit - every NFC East team (Skins included) has won at least 2 division titles since 2000. AFC East tiles since 2000 are Miami - 2, NYJ - 1, Bills - 0, Pats - the rest.
Nobody else wins divisions because NE winning 11-13 games every year.
That is a big factor.
If New England were in another division they win 11-12 games instead of 12-13 in a typical year but they aren’t missing a beat.
The Patriots have only swept 6 games from their division one time when they went 16-0 in 2007.
Their division rivals typically take one game or two eveey year.
That is 6 of 16 games. The Patriots go 7-3 to 9-1 in those other 10 teams every year.
That hurts the division rivals.
8-8/9-7 has won divisions a lot the last 20 years. Thus the other AFC East teams aren’t catching a break. They need 10 wins to just get a wildcard.

Nobody else wins divisions because NE winning 11-13 games every year.
That is a big factor.
If New England were in another division they win 11-12 games instead of 12-13 in a typical year but they aren’t missing a beat.
The Patriots have only swept 6 games from their division one time when they went 16-0 in 2007.
Their division rivals typically take one game or two eveey year.
That is 6 of 16 games. The Patriots go 7-3 to 9-1 in those other 10 teams every year.
That hurts the division rivals.
8-8/9-7 has won divisions a lot the last 20 years. Thus the other AFC East teams aren’t catching a break. They need 10 wins to just get a wildcard.

Not difficult to win 11-12 games a year when your division "rivals" guarantee you no fewer than 4 victories. NE has finished 5-1 more frequently than 4-2; they haven't lost 3 division games since 2002 realignment.

They're also the only AFC East team that has a division record above .500 since realignment. Meanwhile the NFC East has only 1 team (Skins) with a division record below .500 since realignment.

And I'm not going through year by year to determine how many of the Patsies 1-2 division losses occurred in the last week of the regular season after they clinched a playoff seed (like Marrone's last win in Buffalo).

Not difficult to win 11-12 games a year when your division "rivals" guarantee you no fewer than 4 victories. NE has finished 5-1 more frequently than 4-2; they haven't lost 3 division games since 2002 realignment.

They're also the only AFC East team that has a division record above .500 since realignment. Meanwhile the NFC East has only 1 team (Skins) with a division record below .500 since realignment.

And I'm not going through year by year to determine how many of the Patsies 1-2 division losses occurred in the last week of the regular season after they clinched a playoff seed (like Marrone's last win in Buffalo).
You are ignoring the fact they beat everyone.
Brady’s record vs NFL divisions
AFC East 81-21
AFC North 25-6
AFC South 26-7
AFC West 22-12(Denver is the main reason for this)
NFC East 13-3
NFC South 12-4
NFC North 17-3
NFC West 10-5(Brady tore his ACL the year they played this division)

You think the AFC East is why New England is dominant when it’s the fact Brady taking less than market rate and Belichick being the best coach in a salary cap league is a cheat code.

They would win other non AFCE divisions at worst 8 of 10 times instead of 10 of 10 times.
They aren’t a fluke.

AFC East 81-21
AFC North 25-6
AFC South 26-7
NFC East 13-3
NFC South 12-4
NFC North 17-3

You think the AFC East is why New England is dominant when it’s the fact Brady taking less than market rate and Belichick being the best coach in a salary cap league is a cheat code.

They would win other non AFCE divisions at worst 8 of 10 times instead of 10 of 10 times.
They aren’t a fluke.
Brady likes soft balls

AFC East 81-21
AFC North 25-6
AFC South 26-7
NFC East 13-3
NFC South 12-4
NFC North 17-3

They aren’t a fluke.

They'd regularly go 2-4 in the NFC Beast though. I mean Aikman or Collinsworth do all their games so they must be good.

They'd regularly go 2-4 in the NFC Beast though. I mean Aikman or Collinsworth do all their games so they must be good.
Huh?
Outside of the SB the Patriots under Brady are
3-1 against Philadelphia
3-1 against New York Giants
3-1 against Washington
4-0 against Dallas
Where is 2-4 from? I mean SBs the Giants are 2-0 and Philadelphia is 1-1.

I caught the sarcasm after I read it a second time. Well done I am the moron.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he chokes in the playoffs he won two home games and gene Steretore took a game from him and I hate Garrett.

Huh?
Outside of the SB the Patriots under Brady are
3-1 against Philadelphia
3-1 against New York Giants
3-1 against Washington
4-0 against Dallas
Where is 2-4 from? I mean SBs the Giants are 2-0 and Philadelphia is 1-1.

I caught the sarcasm after I read it a second time. Well done I am the moron.
1 Giant win for them was v Kerry’s Collins, at Home, In the year the Giants ended up with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Another Giant win for them was when OBJ celebrated too early and Butler knocked a TD right out of his hands for an incomplete pass (TD in 2018) and THEN, Brady was throwing an INT in DRC’s bread basket, but rookie Landon Collins ‘intercepted’ the interception and when he fell to the ground, untouched mind you...it bounced out.

Brady then drove the 25 or so yards for game winning field goal.

But the main point is, the NFC BEast, competes and tries, the AFC LEast, does not.

Last edited:
So Super Bowl winning head coach Gary Kubiak with 87 career wins is coming back as a coordinator. I’ve never seen a successful HC come back as a coordinator ever.
I think it's going to be simple, he either can call plays, and has the timing or he doesn't. Like Alsacs said, his battle is between wanting to coach, and his health keeping him from doing the HC gig.

That said, I do have a little concern, with piecemealing the coaching staff together. Getting along/chemistry wise. Fangio said in the interview, he wanted Kubiak to be OC, when Elway brought the idea to him. It was said, Elway let Fangio make the decision, if he didn't want Kubiak, he could hire his own OC.

I think it's going to be simple, he either can call plays, and has the timing or he doesn't. Like Alsacs said, his battle is between wanting to coach, and his health keeping him from doing the HC gig.

That said, I do have a little concern, with piecemealing the coaching staff together. Getting along/chemistry wise. Fangio said in the interview, he wanted Kubiak to be OC, when Elway brought the idea to him. It was said, Elway let Fangio make the decision, if he didn't want Kubiak, he could hire his own OC.

What was your view on firing Joseph and would you draft a QB in the first couple of rounds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom