NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 118 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

1 Giant win for them was v Kerry’s Collins, at Home, In the year the Giants ended up with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Another Giant win for them was when OBJ celebrated too early and Butler knocked a TD right out of his hands for an incomplete pass (TD in 2018) and THEN, Brady was throwing an INT in DRC’s bread basket, but rookie Landon Collins ‘intercepted’ the interception and when he fell to the ground, untouched mind you...it bounced out.

Brady then drove the 25 or so yards for game winning field goal.

But the main point is, the NFC BEast, competes and tries, the AFC LEast, does not.

The difference is not that they don’t compete and try its that the AFCE teams have not been able to get the QB position right. Dolphins and Bills haven’t been able to replace Marino and Kelly and the Jets - Namath.

Boys had Romo, Eagles had McNabb and the Wentz/Foles, Skins have had Cousins/Smith.

That’s the difference.

What was your view on firing Joseph and would you draft a QB in the first couple of rounds?
I stuck up for Vance after the conclusion of last season, because a terrible qb situation and 1 year to succeed isn't right imo. That said, he had another bad qb season, but it was his bad in game decision making, clock management, over and over that I didn't like, that justified the firing. No way do I want an Andy Reid situation here.

Yes, I'm in the group of taking a qb almost always, when looking for your next franchise qb. There's nothing more important in sports imo. I was wanting to sign Keenum, AND take a qb at 5. I also realize I was in the minority here in Denver with that opinion. I do have to say, we should definitely bring in another qb for this season whichever means that is. The only reason I might not use our 10th pick this season, is what's coming up in the qb class for 2020.

Last edited:
The difference is not that they don’t compete and try its that the AFCE teams have not been able to get the QB position right. Dolphins and Bills haven’t been able to replace Marino and Kelly and the Jets - Namath.

Boys had Romo, Eagles had McNabb and the Wentz/Foles, Skins have had Cousins/Smith.

That’s the difference.

But doesn't that prove the point that the Bills, Phins and Jets weren't competing and trying?

There are many examples of teams who didn't have world beaters at QB to make or win a SB. Mediocre QB play and a dominating defense/effective run game can do wonders.

2002 - Bucs w/ Brad Johnson vs. Raiders w/ Rich Gannon
2005 - Seahawks w/ Matt Hasselbeck
2006 - Bears w/ Rex Grossman, Brian Griese and Kyle Orton
2007 - NY Jints w/ She-li
2008 - Cardinals w/ Matt Leinart & an 80 year old Kurt Warner
2011 - NY Jints w/ She-li
2012 - 49ers w/ Kraepernick
2015 - Broncos w/ Paraplegic Peyton
2018 - Dak & the Boys ;)

Outside of the Bills signing Drew Bledsoe, and NYJ signing 90 year old Brett Favre, did any other AFC Least team actually try to bring in a QB with a successful track record?!

Recycling talents like Chad Pennington and Ryan Fitzpatrick around the division doesn't actually scream, "We're Trying!!"

It's more like knowingly passing on herpes.

But doesn't that prove the point that the Bills, Phins and Jets weren't competing and trying?

There are many examples of teams who didn't have world beaters at QB to make or win a SB. Mediocre QB play and a dominating defense/effective run game can do wonders.

2018 - Dak & the Boys ;)

Outside of the Bills signing Drew Bledsoe, and NYJ signing 90 year old Brett Favre, did any other AFC Least team actually try to bring in a QB with a successful track record?!

Recycling talents like Chad Pennington and Ryan Fitzpatrick around the division doesn't actually scream, "We're Trying!!"

It's more passing on herpes.
AFC East teams have been spending first round picks on QBs and then they turn out and suck.
Buffalo have taken JP Losman(1st round)Trent Edwards(3rd round), EJ Manuel(1st round) Josh Allen(1st round)in the draft

NY Jets have taken Chad Pennington(1st round) Mark Sanchez(1st round) Kellen Clemons(2nd round) Geno Smith(2nd round) Christian Hackenburg(2nd round) Sam Darnold (1st round)

Dolphins have taken John Beck(2nd round) Pat White(2nd round) Ryan Tannehill(1st round)

The AFC East teams are trying they just have missed on QBs till last draft.
The AFC East teams also has the best record against teams from other divisions.
The 3 other teams have the 1000 lb guerilla in their way where 9-7 barely gets you in.
The Dolphins/Bills/Jets have had years if they weren’t in the Pats division they would have won the division.

AFC East teams have been spending first round picks on QBs and then they turn out and suck.
Buffalo have taken JP Losman(1st round)Trent Edwards(3rd round), EJ Manuel(1st round) Josh Allen(1st round)in the draft

NY Jets have taken Chad Pennington(1st round) Mark Sanchez(1st round) Kellen Clemons(2nd round) Geno Smith(2nd round) Christian Hackenburg(2nd round) Sam Darnold (1st round)

Dolphins have taken John Beck(2nd round) Pat White(2nd round) Ryan Tannehill(1st round)

The AFC East teams are trying they just have missed on QBs till last draft.
The 3 other teams have the 1000 lb guerilla in their way where 9-7 barely gets you in.
The Dolphins/Bills/Jets have had years if they weren’t in the Pats division they would have won the division.

And who are the folks making these decisions? The crappy HCs? GMs??

The Dolphins thought Chad Pennington was a sound alternative after he flamed out with the Jets.
The Jets thought Fitzpatrick was a great idea after he left Buffalo.

And Sean Payton found Romo as an undrafted FA. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying good coaches find good players. Dallas went through its own QB wilderness of Quincy Carter, Vinny INT, Drew Henson, Drew Bledsoe etc.

Jerry Jones finally realized he sucked at trying to find a QB and paid a professional (Parcells) to do it for him.

And who are the folks making these decisions? The crappy HCs? GMs??

The Dolphins thought Chad Pennington was a sound alternative after he flamed out with the Jets.
The Jets thought Fitzpatrick was a great idea after he left Buffalo.

And Sean Payton found Romo as an undrafted FA. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying good coaches find good players. Dallas went through its own QB wilderness of Quincy Carter, Vinny INT, Drew Henson, Drew Bledsoe etc.

Jerry Jones finally realized he sucked at trying to find a QB and paid a professional (Parcells) to do it for him.
Point is, teams try, this isn't exact science. The draft is a 50/50 proposition. That's my point of going after qb's at all costs. We've all watched franchise's go decades without finding a qb. It's not because all the gm's of those teams are idiots.

Point is, teams try, this isn't exact science. The draft is a 50/50 proposition. That's my point of going after qb's at all costs. We've all watched franchise's go decades without finding a qb. It's not because all the gm's of those teams are idiots.

The draft isn't the only way to find a QB. Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo had to be the biggest FA signing of a QB in that division.

Aren't you a Broncos fan? Elway took one look at Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow and said get the flock outta here.

Signed Peyton and went to two SBs. It ain't rocket science when an organization hires intelligent, experienced football people.

The draft isn't the only way to find a QB. Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo had to be the biggest FA signing of a QB in that division.

Aren't you a Broncos fan? Elway took one look at Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow and said get the flock outta here.

Signed Peyton and went to two SBs. It ain't rocket science when an organization hires intelligent, experienced football people.
Bledsoe was traded by Belichick to Buffalo for a first round pick because Belichick knew he wasn’t a top half QB.
Nick Saban left the Miami Dolphins for Alabama because he picked Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees.

Kubiak will NOT be OC after all. smh Disagreed on staffing and offensive philosophy.

edit; Kubiak and Elway supposedly got into an argument over Kubiak wanting Dennison and Brian Pariani, Lol. I'm with Elway 100% on this one, no questions asked. Also over offensive philosophy going forward.

Last edited:

Yes I am a Bronco's fan. So how come Elway looked like a genius with those maneuvers, but has failed since? It's because it isn't even a quarter as easy as you make it out to be. It's hit and miss and there's no sure things, besides getting a HOF qb in free agency, a unicorn.

Bledsoe was traded by Belichick to Buffalo for a first round pick because Belichick knew he wasn’t a top half QB.
Nick Saban left the Miami Dolphins for Alabama because he picked Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees.

You sure it was Saban trading for Culpeper, not drafting Ronnie Brown with the overall #2 pick, that drove him out of Miami?

How do you explain the other idiotic QB decisions by the hot coordinator du jours promoted to HC of other AFC East teams?

Yes I am a Bronco's fan. So how come Elway looked like a genius with those maneuvers, but has failed since? It's because it isn't even a quarter as easy as you make it out to be. It's hit and miss and there's no sure things, besides getting a HOF qb in free agency, a unicorn.

I don't know, maybe because he's used 7th round picks on 2 of the 4 QB he's drafted? Or the Broncos have more pressing needs at different positions?

He busted on his 1st and 2nd round QB picks in Lynch and Osweiler (who was signed by that AFC East juggernaut Miami). It's not like he drafted EJ Manuel, JP Losman and Trent "Capt. Checkdown" Edwards.

I'm not saying it's easy to find a great QB; it's significantly easier when an organization has competent football minds making those decisions.

Regardless, a team can still be an upper echelon team with a mediocre QB and sound defense/running game. None of the other AFC East teams have been able to do this.

This is false. Cowboys, Jints and Iggs all have better records against non-division opponents than the Dolphins, Jets and Bills. Only the sorry ace Skins have performed worse.

I don't know, maybe because he's used 7th round picks on 2 of the 4 QB he's drafted? Or the Broncos have more pressing needs at different positions?

He busted on his 1st and 2nd round QB picks in Lynch and Osweiler (who was signed by that AFC East juggernaut Miami). It's not like he drafted EJ Manuel, JP Losman and Trent "Capt. Checkdown" Edwards.

I'm not saying it's easy to find a great QB; it's significantly easier when an organization has competent football minds making those decisions.

Regardless, a team can still be an upper echelon team with a mediocre QB and sound defense/running game. None of the other AFC East teams have been able to do this.
No matter what, they don't play here anymore, they weren't good enough. It should say a lot that his 7th rounder in Siemian beat out both consistently. If all you needed was a mediocre qb and sound defense, the league would see way more parity.

Last edited:
Dolphins hiring Patriots DC Brian Flores.

I am going to guess Greg Schiano will be his replacement.

2018 - Dak & the Boys ;)

It's more like knowingly passing on herpes.

The Bills have now used 3 first round picks on QB’s since 04.

To say these teams aren’t trying to win is stupid - to be frank. And I’m not even sure what the point is... the Patriots wouldn’t be good, as good, or have had home field advantage as much if they were in another division? None of those things would be true.

Last edited:
The Bills have now used 3 first round picks on QB’s since 04.

To say these teams aren’t trying to win is stupid - to be frank. And I’m not even sure what the point is... the Patriots wouldn’t be good, as good, or have had home field advantage as much if they were in another division? None of those things would be true.

The collective futility of the Bills, Jets and Dolphins since 2002 could easily be seen as not trying. Every division has had a bottom feeder or two; or even a rotating cellar dweller but the AFC East has taken it to a new level.

The point I’m making is yes, the Patriots would certainly have had fewer HFA In the playoffs had just one of the three clowns in their division risen up to compete more than 3 times in 16 years.

I don’t get how this is considered such a controversial position. Again, I’m not saying the Pats suck or would suck in another division. I’m saying their success would probably not be at the same level if they were in a different division.

It’s far easier to dominate the NFL if you’re guaranteed 4-6 divisional wins every year.

The collective futility of the Bills, Jets and Dolphins since 2002 could easily be seen as not trying. Every division has had a bottom feeder or two; or even a rotating cellar dweller but the AFC East has taken it to a new level.

The point I’m making is yes, the Patriots would certainly have had fewer HFA In the playoffs had just one of the three clowns in their division risen up to compete more than 3 times in 16 years.

I don’t get how this is considered such a controversial position. Again, I’m not saying the Pats suck or would suck in another division. I’m saying their success would probably not be at the same level if they were in a different division.

It’s far easier to dominate the NFL if you’re guaranteed 4-6 divisional wins every year.

Alsacs made a post that proves your point wrong. Pats have a better winning percentage against the NFCE than they do the AFCE over the time period you’re whining about.

Game over.

Go Rams.

The division winner is going to win 4-5 division games each year.
Which is what NE does.
The AFC East all haven’t been hot garbage every year they are stuck because they can’t win their division because of the Patriots.
Again the Patriots have hurt the other 3 teams chances.
Those 2009 and 2010 Jets teams couldn’t play a single home playoff game because they weren’t as good as the Patriots. Both of those Jets teams got to the AFC title game.

Alsacs made a post that proves your point wrong. Pats have a better winning percentage against the NFCE than they do the AFCE over the time period you’re whining about.

Game over.

Go Rams.

Yes, because playing teams once every 4 years is proof the Pats would dominate that division annually over 16 years.

I get it. You’re a Bills fan with PTSD from beating NE 3 times in 16 years (once when they played their practice squad to rest starters).

Yes, because playing teams once every 4 years is proof the Pats would dominate that division annually over 16 years.

I get it. You’re a Bills fan with PTSD from beating NE 3 times in 16 years (once when they played their practice squad to rest starters).

If Belichick had to play NFCE teams two time a year you don’t think he’d pay extra attention to those teams? I don’t think people from afar understand what drives guys like B & B.

It’s too bad the Pats and Boys weren’t in the same division over the Romo years. Losing to the Pats 2 times a year would have kept them outta the playoffs and saved the rest of the country from having to watch them bumble all over themselves and choke in the playoffs.

Must have been embarrassing for you.

I really don’t get how you don’t understand the Patriots have beaten everyone in the regular season consistently these last 20 years.
Denver at Mile High and Miami at Miami are the only spots Brady is under .500.

They would have won pretty much any division these past years.
You don’t get how the Jets/Bills/Dolphins tailor their rosters to play New England. All these teams have had good DL play to play NE.

Next year we will see the NFC East vs. AFC East in the regular season.

The division winner is going to win 4-5 division games each year.
Which is what NE does.
The AFC East all haven’t been hot garbage every year they are stuck because they can’t win their division because of the Patriots.
Again the Patriots have hurt the other 3 teams chances.
Those 2009 and 2010 Jets teams couldn’t play a single home playoff game because they weren’t as good as the Patriots. Both of those Jets teams got to the AFC title game.

NE has won 5 or more AFC East games 9 times since 2002.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom