NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

Like I said, he could be an outlier like Humphries and Beasley that ends up being better in the NFL than he was in college, but his production didn't even really drop off much this year. He went from 600 yards to roughly 550 and his PFF grade dropped slightly. He's just never been a productive or highly rated guy.

The last two years, he put up 7 catches and 41 yards against Alabama combined in his two games against them after being a thorn in their side his freshman and sophomore year.

Probably says more about Saban than it does about Renfrow. His stats make sense though, Higgins and Ross both went over 900, Rodgers had another 55 for 575. Combine those with Etienne getting 200+ touches and half their games being over at half time. No underneath/slot type is going to pile up numbers in that situation. Think everyone just sees the traits that he has that translate pretty easily. The ability to generate separation underneath and have sure hands. 5 years ago he goes undrafted, now he feels a very specific niche.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.39.46 PM.png

I'm surprised there isn't more conversation about this. Do you agree with the new rule?

Frankly, i don't understand it. Over the past decade(?), officials allowed more and more 'handfighting' between receivers and DBs. So much so that, at this point, on every contested pass reception, there is some manner of push-off or holding on one side, the other, or both. How the heck do you now make that a reviewable call? Refs will have to go under the hood more often, to make subjective decisions on which player touched more forcibly? With a greater effect on the play? Who touched last?

Coaches will have to use replay more often, and decide whether it's worth it to waste a replay flag on an 8 yard catch/incompletion, because that might just continue a drive... I thought fans wanted fewer stoppages for replay and more 'empirical' rulings, not more subjectivity.

I'm surprised there isn't more conversation about this. Do you agree with the new rule?

Frankly, i don't understand it. Over the past decade(?), officials allowed more and more 'handfighting' between receivers and DBs. So much so that, at this point, on every contested pass reception, there is some manner of push-off or holding on one side, the other, or both. How the heck do you now make that a reviewable call? Refs will have to go under the hood more often, to make subjective decisions on which player touched more forcibly? With a greater effect on the play? Who touched last?

Coaches will have to use replay more often, and decide whether it's worth it to waste a replay flag on an 8 yard catch/incompletion, because that might just continue a drive... I thought fans wanted fewer stoppages for replay and more 'empirical' rulings, not more subjectivity.

In theory, I like the rule, but practically, I think it's going to be a disaster.

I bet if you dissect every Hail Mary thrown last year, there's PI on probably 95% of them.

In theory, I like the rule, but practically, I think it's going to be a disaster.

I bet if you dissect every Hail Mary thrown last year, there's PI on probably 95% of them.

This is a great point about Hail Mary heaves.

Can you imagine a challenge resulting in PI in the end zone on the last play of a game? I assume this would put the ball at the 2 yard line and give the offense one un-timed down as the final play.

In other words, the NFL just made it exponentially easier to decide outcomes.

Such a dumb rule change. Human error is part of the damn game. Make the rules less subjective for easier enforcement, don't add the ability to second guess the official in real time and potentially ratflock the game.

T
This is a great point about Hail Mary heaves.

Can you imagine a challenge resulting in PI in the end zone on the last play of a game? I assume this would put the ball at the 2 yard line and give the offense one un-timed down as the final play.

In other words, the NFL just made it exponentially easier to decide outcomes.

Such a dumb rule change. Human error is part of the damn game. Make the rules less subjective for easier enforcement, don't add the ability to second guess the official in real time and potentially ratflock the game.
There can’t be a challenge on a hail marry as they occur under two minutes

There can’t be a challenge on a hail marry as they occur under two minutes

From the article MSOrange posted:

“The replay booth, in conjunction with the league's officiating office in New York, will initiate those challenges in the final two minutes of each half. Coaches will still be limited to two challenges per game, with a third awarded if they are successful on the first two.”

Hail Marys will certainly be eligible for review.

The leaked Jets new uniforms aren’t good.
Yuck with them adding black. Green helmet back.

D3O19RRWsAAhRBw.jpg

The leaked Jets new uniforms aren’t good.
Yuck with them adding black. Green helmet back.

D3O19RRWsAAhRBw.jpg

The black ones look stupid, but I like the others.

The green helmet is similar to their old 80s-90s helmet which is a good thing IMO. I never liked their white helmet look.

Same with the Bills and Rams. Those white helmets were/are so dull looking.

Bills and Jets should’ve just stuck with their 80s/90s look IMO. For that matter, I wish my Giants would go back to that era too though I do like the current ones well enough too.

The black ones look stupid, but I like the others.

The green helmet is similar to their old 80s-90s helmet which is a good thing IMO. I never liked their white helmet look.

Same with the Bills and Rams. Those white helmets were/are so dull looking.

Bills and Jets should’ve just stuck with their 80s/90s look IMO. For that matter, I wish my Giants would go back to that era too though I do like the current ones well enough too.

I love the white Bills helmets, but I agree regarding the Jets new helmets. Black jersey looks weird with the green helmets, but the other two jerseys look very good IMO.

Jets mustve got a discount price on the FM Hornets jerseys from 2009

Strong evidence suggests Browns at Jets is the early game on the season opening Monday Night football doubleheader.

I have heard the Cowboys or Giants are the 2 finalists for the season opening SNF at New England.

Strong evidence suggests Browns at Jets is the early game on the season opening Monday Night football doubleheader.

I have heard the Cowboys or Giants are the 2 finalists for the season opening SNF at New England.

Hopefully Dallas.

Usually the Giants seem to play Dallas in SNF week 1.

I’m over night football games. Too late.

Give me 1:00 Sunday afternoon every time.

With Raiders sucking last year and Gruden being old news I doubt they will play in that 10PM first MNF game, which is fine by me.

Hopefully Dallas.

Usually the Giants seem to play Dallas in SNF week 1.

I’m over night football games. Too late.

Give me 1:00 Sunday afternoon every time.

I hate the 1s.

Bad for tailgating, bad for getting anything accomplished.

A 430 means I can watch an entire 1 game in the parking lot...or in the early fall for away games, get my leaf raking on early afternoon. Plus now, I can catch the boy play his Pop Warner games, of which half are maddeningly on Sundays.

The whole Key is to be inside at 3pm for the greatest hour in sports history each week on the RedZone...then be ready for a Blue Kick at 430.

Russell Wilson contract is interesting. He was really good last year but not sure he consistently screams highest paid QB in the league. But could they get anyone better I guess is the question.

Somebody on the radio said this is the Patriots schedule.
I don’t believe it though.
1. PIT 8:20pm NBC
2. @BUF 1:00pm CBS
3. @PHI 4:25pm CBS
4. HOU 1:00pm CBS
5. NYJ 8:20pm FOX/NFLN
6. @WSH 1:00pm CBS
7. BYE
8. CLE 8:20pm NBC
9. @MIA 1:00pm CBS
10. DAL 4:25pm FOX
11. @NYJ 1:00pm CBS