Niagara Postgame | Syracusefan.com

Niagara Postgame

Scott11

Starter
Very disappointing effort against a lousy team.
-really disappointed with what we saw from Judah. Repeatedly played lazy defense and let guys get by him. Seems to have learned nothing about not committing stupid fouls 50 feet away from the basket. A couple of very selfish plays, including that ridiculous spinarama, when all we needed to do was take care of the ball. Speaking of which he had two terrible turnovers down the stretch.
-Quadir did some nice things in the first half but his defense likewise was dreadful in the second half. Also did not take care of the ball with the lead.
-it was pretty clear that Bell was only concerned about scoring and he took some terrible shots. Generally our shot selection was awful for much of the game. If we had been patient and gone to the basket, we win this game by 25 points. There was a reason we had nine fouls at one point the second half to their one and it was not the referees’ fault.
-was good to see Cuffe play well and aggressively and get rewarded with extended minutes.
-was happy to see Benny make some good plays on the defensive end. Aside from his ill fated attempt to lead the fast break he was very useful today.
-we got the win and ultimately that is what matters. Hoping this was just a case of the team playing a lousy opponent right before they were leaving for break. Hoping for much more intensity against Pittsburgh and in the ACC.

This game gets a big pass for me.

Before the season, I said 7-4 OOC, so I'm thrilled we went 9-2

Yeah, some of the games were easier than we thought they'd be and no great wins, but no G'Town or Bryant type losses either.

The season starts next Sat.
I'll start over analyzing then.

My take: a bit sloppy, and still everybody had good moments. 8 out of 9 guys scored, and the other blocked a couple shots and grabbed a couple rebounds.

Poor defense late. We gave away probably 4 baskets through showboating our way into missed shots, forced shots, unnecessarily hard shots, like you're trying to make Sports Center.

We were arrogant in the 2nd half. You can't do that against good teams. That's part of why Niagara fought back; they felt somewhat disrespected. Don't motivate your opponents. The game is hard enough already.

Never before in the history of this board, has an opposing player earned so many good trick names as our most hated three point threat in that magical Keebler Elf that bombed away today.
Happy early b-day! Hope you have a great 1222 :)

This game gets a big pass for me.

Before the season, I said 7-4 OOC, so I'm thrilled we went 9-2

Yeah, some of the games were easier than we thought they'd be and no great wins, but no G'Town or Bryant type losses either.

The season starts next Sat.
I'll start over analyzing then.
I think you're forgetting a loss...Tennessee, Gonzaga and Virginia.

The team lacks pride on defense. Only way I can explain how they let the Keebler elf go off for so many 3s.

This game is the last game everyone should be complaining about. They played sloppy and won by double digits - who cares if they win by 22 or 13? Makes absolutely zero difference. Play crappy and win and it’s fine. It was never in question and was an easy win. Let’s take it please

I'm feeling a little spicy tonight in general, so...

"lazy defense" might be the most overused basketball platitude in board history... just because at times players play poor defense, or make bad defensive decisions, doesn't equate to being "lazy." It's ridiculous.

Syracuse had 8 turnovers... for the entire game. Yet, the analysis from some comes across like we hit a 20 spot on turnovers. Is your expectation 0 turnovers? it's ridiculous.

It was a 5:00 PM game in a student-less game against Niagra. Could we have played better? Sure. Did we win by double digits? Yep. Was the game EVER in doubt? Nope.

I swear, when it comes to the anti-flash, anti-enjoyment of basketball in general on here sometimes, I genuinely think this is what some folks wish it looked like. Basketball is fun! Enjoy some amazing, athletic, exciting, "risky" plays from time to time... let these young men thrive & grow. It's like the team is expected to be robots or something.
25q817l.gif

Solid win! I loved seeing Brown again play well & get some points up for the effort. Copeland continues playing the way he should be, another killer spin move & finish. Seeing Taylor hit a run of buckets in the 2nd half was important for his confidence. The Cuffe vertical block was a thing of beauty... he's just solid & trustworthy no matter how many minutes he plays. When J.J. shoots, I'm starting to expect it to go in, which is awesome.

I was hoping this would have been a perfect tune-up game for JJ to keep stroking the 3 ball before entering conference play, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. Also, Judah hasn’t made a single 3 pointer in three games since his 5/7 effort against Cornell. Both a bit disappointing as we need them to step up huge for us

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom