Nice gag job by uconn | Syracusefan.com

Nice gag job by uconn

Cuseball

Starter
They couldn’t even win this pitiful version of the Big East. We all know Hurley can’t win anything. The biggest disappointment to me is if they win the Big East tournament then maybe they are a 6 seed and then we get to stomp them in the 1st round of the tournament. Now they are 9/10 seed at best and they will be gone before we get them.

Cuse!

Total meathead...tactically one of the worst in game coaches Ive ever seen. He can recruit but that only goes so far
Prototypical Hurley play...his guy hustles and deflects a pass out of bounds when trailing by 17 and Hurley gets in his face pumping his fists and screaming.

Wow, Danny. So inspirational. YOU have really got those kids playing HARD. What a PROGRAM.

Clown.

I’d love a shot at UConn ... I think we match up well with them

sanoga and whaley would give trouble but their shooting in general is abysmal
We’d pack the paint - they can’t shoot. I think Cole would have trouble against the zone.

Sanogo is really good but I think Q would destroy him offensively.

Plus we all wanna see Buddy vs Bouknight:)

First off congrats on turning the season around. I sincerely mean that.

I will say that while Hurley has had some stumbles from a coaching standpoint, this game wasn’t one of them. They held a team that has the 11th best offense who averages 79 points to 59. The issue I saw was primarily with Sanogo’s freshman growing pains (foul trouble), Bouknight clanging mid range jumpers he never misses (and the front end of a 1 and 1) and uncharacteristically bad games by the rest of the supporting cast.

The main weakness of this UConn team is that they don’t have adequate depth at guard. If Cole or Bouknight are unable to play or do so at 100% then it will be a rock fight. Cole getting a concussion with 4 minutes to go effectively stalled the offense. Even with that they held Creighton to 3 points down the stretch and had an open 3 by a 40% player to tie it.

So while I’m pissed that they lost they did so to the #10 Kenpom team who was favored and had beaten them twice. They also had Bouknight who wasn’t at 100%, Sanogo in foul trouble most of the game, shooters (like Polley) miss open shots they usually make and without their lead guard in crunch time.

So you hate Hurley for his antics. I would if I were you. But I have no complaints with his coaching here. I am curious what you would have have wanted him to do differently?

Last edited:

I will say that while Hurley has had some stumbles from a coaching standpoint, this game wasn’t one of them. They held a team that has the 11th best offense who averages 79 points to 59. The issue I saw was primarily with Sanogo’s freshman growing pains (foul trouble), Bouknight clanging mid range jumpers he never misses (and the front end of a 1 and 1) and uncharacteristically bad games by the rest of the supporting cast.

The main weakness of this UConn team is that they don’t have adequate depth at guard. If Cole or Bouknight are unable to play or do so at 100% then it will be a rock fight. Cole getting a concussion with 4 minutes to go effectively stalled the offense. Even with that they held Creighton to 3 points down the stretch and had an open 3 by a 40% player to tie it.

So while I’m pissed that they lost they did so to the #10 Kenpom team who was favored and had beaten them twice. They also had Bouknight who wasn’t at 100%, Sanogo in foul trouble most of the game, shooters (like Polley) miss open shots they usually make and without their lead guard in crunch time.

So you hate Hurley for his antics. I would if I were you. But I have no complaints with his coaching here. I am curious what you would have have wanted him to do differently?

This is all fine, and reasonable enough points. But unless I am mistaken, uconn has a total of 1 win over tourney teams, in USC. Racking up wins vs sub .500 Big East teams really should not warrant much of a seed. Let's see what the committee does, but aside from USC, what is on the resume, at Seton Hall? At Georgetown? That's about it, unless I am mistaken. Nova and Creighton both beat uconn each time they met.

Anyways, good luck in the tourney.

UCONN got every call in this game down the stretch and still couldn't win. Creighton is good though.

Some nice Uconn on Uconn fighting here, their board is full of threads like this.

The Big East is an overrated swamp. There will not be a team playing past the 1st weekend. Creighton and Villanova will be very short favorites in regard to their seed and I expect both to be upset in their 1st game. Uconn will have the only chance to play a 2nd game IMO. Would love to draw anyone from your league. Btw, that was an embarrassing display put on by those Bluejays that stomped you 3 times. They beat nobody this year and I seriously have to question why they were ranked most of the year. Maybe because they lost to Kansas? And good job getting out of the American because it would have a long year for you guys in that league. Hope to see you soon.

It's fun reading about UConn's lack of quality wins here when UConn is 4-4 in Quadrant 1 games while Cuse in 1-7. ONE WIN.

Quadrant 1 includes: Home wins vs NET 1-30 ranked teams, Neutral court win vs 1-50 and Road win vs. 1-75.

It's fun reading about UConn's lack of quality wins here when UConn is 4-4 in Quadrant 1 games while Cuse in 1-7. ONE WIN.

Quadrant 1 includes: Home wins vs NET 1-30 ranked teams, Neutral court win vs 1-50 and Road win vs. 1-75.
UConn beat 1 team all year that will get an at-large bid, and that was back in November. The other tournament teams they beat were; Hartford and GTown. Other than the Hoyas/UHart, UConn didn’t even beat a team that made their conference tourney title game. They were able to pad their Q1 by beating average teams on the road.

Syracuse beat 4 teams that were at-larges.

UConn and Syracuse both had 3 losses against that teams that won’t be in

I honestly don't understand the obsession with uconn anymore. I have zero interest in their basketball or football program. Couldn't even tell what conference their football team is in. I know it's not the ACC or the MAC. Other than those 2, I have no idea. I can't imagine a reason to go to their website or watch one of their games. Self torture is not my thing. I get why they come here and lurk on our site, because we've moved on to bigger and better things and this is where they want to be. There are plenty of nut bags that post here to keep me entertained endlessly and I have a crazy ex-wife. I don't have time for crazy uconn and I'm pretty sure the boneyard is a super spreader event. Seriously. Stay away from that place.

Look, you can hang your hat on that stat all you want. But is your crowning achievement really winning at Seton Hall? Really? uconn, as you know, has beaten quite literally one team that was invited to the dance. One quality win. One. Please try to convince any sensible person that those other Q1 wins are truly quality wins.

What it really comes down to is that the Big East is horrible. I mean terrible. Pretty much the A10. Not close to a power conference right now. Now well done by Georgetown yesterday, taking the auto bid by humiliating Creighton. But all that really does is put a magnifying glass on how bad the league is. Once Nova went down, you were relying on Creighton to carry your league's water. In a down year for the ACC like this year, I still don't they would finish any higher than 11th or 12th.

All that said, good talent Hurley is accumulating. Good luck to you in the tourney. But let's be realistic before we start crowing. uconn has done zilch to date. That doesn't mean they can't or won't in the tourney, but the resume is paper thin. And yes, I fully appreciate Cuse is on the bubble.

Last edited:

Kenpom #10 teams shouldn't lose by a gazillion to Georgetown. The Big East is not great this year.

Kenpom #10 teams shouldn't lose by a gazillion to Georgetown. The Big East is not great this year.
You’re absolutely right about Creighton. I think this year it’s really up in the air about which team and conference are great and which aren’t. There just aren’t enough data points to really know. I mean we lost to Creighton 3 times but we beat Georgetown easily twice. The second time we were up by 30 or so at half. At the same time we beat Xavier on the road without Bouknight and they beat Oklahoma by 22. We also beat Marquette twice easily and they beat Wisconsin and North Carolina. Does that mean we’re better than any of those teams? We just don’t know. You would normally have 5+ more games in the OOC to weight the strengths of conferences. I do believe that the Big East is down this year based on the amount of skill that graduated last year but not as much as records may show. There are probably 4-6 teams this year that are almost equal and essentially bubble teams and beating each other up. In a normal year the Big East would have their top tier of Nova and whoever was challenging them, the next tier of teams that are solid tourney teams and then 2 or 3 bubble teams. This year you only have 2 top teams, one second tier team in UConn and then a bunch of teams knocking each other out of contention.

The only thing that I can definitively point to is that UConn, when healthy, doesn’t lose to teams that it is equal or better to based on the metrics and that’s due to their defense. It’s been really good. It’s hard to pinpoint our ceiling but their floor is deserving of a spot in the NCAAs. I think it is similarly difficult to judge Syracuse. You have one great win against VT (similar our USC win), a few more good wins than we do, but worse losses. I think the thing that is true about both teams is that their seeding is crucial. Both could be knocked out first or second round or make a small run of 2 or 3 games depending on the opponents. Either way it should be fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom