Nike is ruining college football uniforms | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nike is ruining college football uniforms

It seems to me that the top programs have almost all gone back to their traditional looks for most games. Maybe a throw back look like Michigan does but much less of the crazy stuff seen 5 years ago among the winners. Which seems to go against the argument I used to see out here that it was all about recruiting and giving the young kids cool stuff. Clemson, Alabama, USC...all seem to be doing fine with the boring old stuff. Even Penn State has come back without every going all gray.
Meeshigan has made one change, though. Their road unis have gone from blue-white-maize to blue-white-white.

A company that pays its base employees almost nothing, over charges for their product while tempting/marketing poor kids to foolishly try to buy them while paying millionaires millions...what's not to like?

Google the median age of the fanbase + Image search the uni the team wore close to that median age = the only "correct" uni allowed x amount of fans/boosters/$$$ wrapped up in team's success = relative size of S***storm Over New Uni

IDK I suppose there's some correlation with age but I remember thinking when I was 20ish "these new Bills uniforms suck" and "those new Jets uniforms are nice". I'd say history has been kind to both of those thoughts. It will not be so kind to Tennessee's platinum look; I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:
I watch SU every game. I don’t love the unis but I know which team is SU. My point about Ohio state is they have one game per year where they wear something different
You're missing the point. It isn't "tOSU for just one game." It's "even tOSU for a game."

Changing classic and iconic uniforms destroys brand equity.

Uniforms change too often now. And teams wear too many different uniforms within a season. It’s disorienting. You can’t ever get used to anything or identify with anything.

Uniform changes used to be a big deal, but now you can’t even keep track of when it happens.

I agree, but at least we don't have sponsor logos on them (yet)!

You're missing the point. It isn't "tOSU for just one game." It's "even tOSU for a game."

Does it? I think they're doing fine since they've done this for years. Maybe you think it hurts a school like SU but losses do way more damage.

I know what you're trying to say and argue for and trust me I get it. Florida's unis stunk this weekend. Ohio States if it's all grey is stupid... but if you're a winning program and you do this once in a while it's whatever. When a team is losing constantly AND have bad uniforms? That's easy to bash. If we beat Clemson & Miami back to back? The uniform convo goes away for another week

Not for a game and not for a big brand like Ohio State. They'll be fine.

We're fine, honestly.

Google the median age of the fanbase + Image search the uni the team wore close to that median age = the only "correct" uni allowed x amount of fans/boosters/$$$ wrapped up in team's success = relative size of S***storm Over New Uni

1888fy.jpg

The helmets though... love em. I'd love a scarlet outline of the numbers or stripes in the uniforms though

mcnabb era unis but with script syracuse on front

You know what the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that those style of uniforms would not match our current style of play. The old school uniforms are more triple option and power I football. Just like those offenses are plain, so would be the uniforms. Air Raid you need something flashy. Oregon wasn't just a hit because they wore flashy uniforms. Their flashy uniforms matched their uptempo, cutting edge offense. I don't think those uniforms would have had the same flair if they came out in 2 TE sets and ran the ball up the middle every 30 seconds.

I'm set with the "McNabb" era uniforms everyone is clamoring for. Give me something a whole lot more modern.

You know what the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that those style of uniforms would not match our current style of play. The old school uniforms are more triple option and power I football. Just like those offenses are plain, so would be the uniforms. Air Raid you need something flashy. Oregon wasn't just a hit because they wore flashy uniforms. Their flashy uniforms matched their uptempo, cutting edge offense. I don't think those uniforms would have had the same flair if they came out in 2 TE sets and ran the ball up the middle every 30 seconds.

I'm set with the "McNabb" era uniforms everyone is clamoring for. Give me something a whole lot more modern.

give me success and give me a retro uniform 1x per year. Not sure why anyone would be against this. I've given up with getting the retro look permanently but we need to be like every other big school who has retro unis

It’s not just us.

Florida “ Our uniforms are the weirdest of all time”
DMbs34NXcAAkJma.jpg:large

Ohio State “ Hold my beer”

I love our uniforms.

I actually like some of the college ones, its some of the nfl ones that are really bad. Whoever came up with the Steeler Bumblebee unis should be shot.

I watch SU every game. I don’t love the unis but I know which team is SU. My point about Ohio state is they have one game per year where they wear something different

Funny, I had a few buddies text me during the game as to why Cuse had RED as the uni accent colors and that the Block S looked like the Stanford S. I have to agree. Nike has made our orange more burnt over the last few years and when a bit wet in Miami, that looks red on tv. Sad.

I think Nike makes a better uni than UA and Adidas. It was an arms race about 5-7 years ago. Remember the Nike line that had Oregon, VT, and some other teams jumping every week? Oregon was the pioneer with this movement. VT also ate it up and had some sweet unis that were extremely marketable. Its died down the last few years but Nike still makes a beautiful product. That said, they totally screwed up our uni combos. Key mistakes:

1. The 44 thing/44 degress with the lines on the shoulders/numbers is dumb.

2. The gothic font used for our numbers without a white, orange, grey, etc for outline contrast is brutal. Bold #'s with contrast make the biggest splash.

3. The "ORANGE" that Nike provided with these unis is , well, not Syracuse orange. Not sure how a major brand, and we are a major brand; gets screwed by your uniform brand on YOUR COLOR!!!!

give me success and give me a retro uniform 1x per year. Not sure why anyone would be against this. I've given up with getting the retro look permanently but we need to be like every other big school who has retro unis

I am good with that. I liked when teams actually wore "throwbacks", not alternative jersey's.

I am good with that. I liked when teams actually wore "throwbacks", not alternative jersey's.
I’m so used to today’s unis hey don’t hardly bother me anymore. Not to say I wouldn’t prefer something more “traditional”. That being said, if I had to complain about today’s version, it’s not the font, but the shoulder design that gets me. Many other schools wear our same jersey, but with a font and shoulder design their own. I’d go with a plain shoulder with player number on the side.

I don't blame Nike......I blame those who buy this s..t! That includes athletic departments selling their integrity for Nike money. Nike gets to perform "Aesthetic rape". Weinstein of a different color.

I don't blame Nike...I blame those who buy this s..t! That includes athletic departments selling their integrity for Nike money. Nike gets to perform "Aesthetic rape". Weinstein of a different color.
^^^ For those angry at Nike, read Ringos first two lines. Schools are very image and brand conscious...they also are taking Nike's checks and contracting with Nike...if the school was not smart enough to include language in the contract with Nike to set parameters for their creations or some "gating" approvals that's not Nike'$ fault. We will see if Cuse likes and "endorses" Nike$ creative views of their brand when it is renewal time. Fyi if there are no changes to the color schemes, then Cuse has decided that Nike and their creations and check$ are the right fit for the Cuse brand.

3. The "ORANGE" that Nike provided with these unis is , well, not Syracuse orange. Not sure how a major brand, and we are a major brand; gets screwed by your uniform brand on YOUR COLOR!!!!

It is the same exact color. When you see it on TV clashing that close with navy it can probably appear more on the red side but the orange is the exact same color.