NIL Collective. Rebranding the Fine Mess. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Collective. Rebranding the Fine Mess.

I was thinking that there is another way to go with this. First of all it's a great idea, we could also honor a different player for each home game. Have the parents come to the Fine Mess.

Just throwing it out there.
Different player every game makes merchandising problematic and dilutes the impact. We discussed but decided to keep it simple the first year. Absolutely plan on cascading invitations ultimately the player’s family!

Different player every game makes merchandising problematic and dilutes the impact. We discussed but decided to keep it simple the first year. Absolutely plan on cascading invitations ultimately the player’s family!

Can the players families economic situation come into play as a criteria? If the player is from a ways away the family may not be able to afford to fly to Syracuse.

Agree ... selecting one athlete, based on whatever the FM decides is/are the criteria, makes it easier to manage and more attractive for the SA.

Just a brief update, or non-update. Waiting for a response from an email to Mark Wheeler asking for an expected timeline on our application. I sent it Wednesday, one week after submitting the application. Hopefully it’s a sign that they are inundated with potential NIL projects!
With school not in session I don’t think there is a lot of urgency right now, but I would like to have everything in place and the opportunity posted by the start of summer sessions. I think we need to order merchandise by August 1 to have everything ready to go for Louisville. In addition to use of name, I
plan to ask for a 2-3 minute video greeting prior to every home tailgate to be played in our Fine Mess mobile media room, signed 8x10s to sell at a nominal fee and an informal meet & greet on the field after the FanFest, assuming there is one, or comparable event. Assuming everyone follows through on their pledges and based on where we stand right now, I am planning on offering a $2500 - $3000 initial payment and a percentage of profits from merchandise sales. Balance of pledge money will be used to front the cost for T shirts, koozies and photos. Upon approval I will meet with the Fine Mess Executive Committee to finalize offer prior to posting. I will also seek clarity on the rule that prohibits using NIL deals to require enrollment or continued attendance at a specific institution. With transfer portal feeding frenzies that seems to prohibit a multi year agreement unless we want to be paying a player who transfers to Chadron State.

I will keep everyone updated here.

Just a brief update, or non-update. Waiting for a response from an email to Mark Wheeler asking for an expected timeline on our application. I sent it Wednesday, one week after submitting the application. Hopefully it’s a sign that they are inundated with potential NIL projects!
With school not in session I don’t think there is a lot of urgency right now, but I would like to have everything in place and the opportunity posted by the start of summer sessions. I think we need to order merchandise by August 1 to have everything ready to go for Louisville. In addition to use of name, I
plan to ask for a 2-3 minute video greeting prior to every home tailgate to be played in our Fine Mess mobile media room, signed 8x10s to sell at a nominal fee and an informal meet & greet on the field after the FanFest, assuming there is one, or comparable event. Assuming everyone follows through on their pledges and based on where we stand right now, I am planning on offering a $2500 - $3000 initial payment and a percentage of profits from merchandise sales. Balance of pledge money will be used to front the cost for T shirts, koozies and photos. Upon approval I will meet with the Fine Mess Executive Committee to finalize offer prior to posting. I will also seek clarity on the rule that prohibits using NIL deals to require enrollment or continued attendance at a specific institution. With transfer portal feeding frenzies that seems to prohibit a multi year agreement unless we want to be paying a player who transfers to Chadron State.

I will keep everyone updated here.

Thank you for spearheading this!

Very excited about this opportunity

Still waiting for a green light from SUAD. Followed up with voice mail messages to Compliance and my contacts in the department this morning.
A day late and a dollar short? C'mon Cuse.

Big news! We received full compliance approval for our NIL project last night and have a green light to move ahead. More details to come shortly. I will be reaching out the end of next week with payment details

Big news! We received full compliance approval for our NIL project last night and have a green light to move ahead. More details to come shortly. I will be reaching out the end of next week with payment details
Congrats! Now these means:
  • You need to develop an official logo
  • Merch!
  • Call to action. What will we want the recipient to do?
I love it. Nice work.

Congrats! Now these means:
  • You need to develop an official logo
  • Merch!
  • Call to action. What will we want the recipient to do?
I love it. Nice work.
Thanks. Think we are in good shape on two of the three bulletpoints, As for the third, my artistic skills are at about a second grade level, so if anyone has logo ideas, we are all ears!

Thanks. Think we are in good shape on two of the three bulletpoints, As for the third, my artistic skills are at about a second grade level, so if anyone has logo ideas, we are all ears!
Did this fast using Paint at work. Not close to a finished product but thought it might help spur conversation and thoughts.

Draft Logo.png

Has it been decided how the chosen player will be selected? There are many ways to come up with a worthy recipient- Ask Dino who needs it the most- Ask the weight staff who has worked the hardest and been most consistent-a player at a position of need (like D line now). Sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it.

Did this fast using Paint at work. Not close to a finished product but thought it might help spur conversation and thoughts.

View attachment 217346

Provide the following details:

- What was the inspiration for the tailgate?

- Is there a signature drink, meal or tradition?

- What three words embody the Fine Mess tailgate?

Provide the following details:

- What was the inspiration for the tailgate?

- Is there a signature drink, meal or tradition?

- What three words embody the Fine Mess tailgate?
We started the tailgate because we knew tailgating was a thing in college football and wanted in on it.

I don’t think we have a signature drink or meal. As far as traditions go, we do a 50-50 every home game. Often do ticket buys for the Mountain Division at Fort Drum, so soldiers up there can come down for an SU game and watch the Orange on us. We also have a number of former members of the military in the group. That is why I included the 10th Mountain Division patch in the logo.

Not sure on the three words. Maybe War Damn Otto? Eat, Drink, Complain? I am a rare sober member so I am probably the worse person to ask.

Has it been decided how the chosen player will be selected? There are many ways to come up with a worthy recipient- Ask Dino who needs it the most- Ask the weight staff who has worked the hardest and been most consistent-a player at a position of need (like D line now). Sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it.
The school cannot be involved with brokering a deal at all and Syracuse is taking a very conservative approach to this requirement. No one affiliated with the program at all is even at liberty to discuss NIL opportunities, so input from Dino or any of the coaches is out. Also, others have suggested financial need as a criterion and beyond anecdotal evidence I don’t think that is feasible.
The portal gives us the opportunity to reach out to any registered player. It looks like Syracuse has bulk loaded all current and recent players - we can work with Taj Harris if we want! Some players have been active by loading profiles and pictures, others obviously haven’t touched it. My thought is to filter on all redshirt sophomore class and younger athletes that are unlikely to score major NIL deals, reach out with our offer, then select from those who respond. The Fine Mess Executive Committee will convene to finalize approach and selection process, then meet again in July to make the ultimate selection. We may, at that point, canvass those who have made good on their pledge with a payment, and ask for input on a short list of candidates, or we may just go ahead and select based on these criteria. Really fluid at the moment, but I will continue to update here.

The school cannot be involved with brokering a deal at all and Syracuse is taking a very conservative approach to this requirement. No one affiliated with the program at all is even at liberty to discuss NIL opportunities, so input from Dino or any of the coaches is out. Also, others have suggested financial need as a criterion and beyond anecdotal evidence I don’t think that is feasible.
The portal gives us the opportunity to reach out to any registered player. It looks like Syracuse has bulk loaded all current and recent players - we can work with Taj Harris if we want! Some players have been active by loading profiles and pictures, others obviously haven’t touched it. My thought is to filter on all redshirt sophomore class and younger athletes that are unlikely to score major NIL deals, reach out with our offer, then select from those who respond. The Fine Mess Executive Committee will convene to finalize approach and selection process, then meet again in July to make the ultimate selection. We may, at that point, canvass those who have made good on their pledge with a payment, and ask for input on a short list of candidates, or we may just go ahead and select based on these criteria. Really fluid at the moment, but I will continue to update here.
I vote for anyone who's a current or former brass player.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom