NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

"NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better"

well this was the original context of this thread. if some fans are cool with schools buying players that's fine . that's your opinion. i'll respect that.
but many us are not cool with it . and yes it changes the college game for me as a fan and will probably drive me away to better fill my time. whatever. enjoy.
We were cool with it until Adam was pushed out.

Only 5 players with no college experience, mostly foreign players on the team. Having spent money for these foreign players to attend their NBA Academy then put them in the Ignite G League, the NBA is of course targeting them as their prime draft choices. Note the number of ex college players including our own James Southerland who is 33 years old (he isn’t the only 30+ ex-college player on the roster either).
Scoot Henderson is foreign? Interesting

of Ignites 6 draft picks the last 2 years, 2 were foreign (1 of which was Kuminga who played in American high schools). That doesn’t match your claim of “mostly foreign” when more were American.

heres another foreign player for next year

Last edited:
Scoot Henderson is foreign? Interesting

heres another foreign player for next year

Scoot is one of the most explosive players I’ve seen at that age. He’s going to be amazing.

"NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better"

well this was the original context of this thread. if some fans are cool with schools buying players that's fine . that's your opinion. i'll respect that.
but many us are not cool with it . and yes it changes the college game for me as a fan and will probably drive me away to better fill my time. whatever. enjoy.
I would just amend this to say "abuse of" NIL has changed me. NIL done as it was intended is a positive. It encourages increased interaction between players and fans and gives the student athletes a chance to make a little money that they can use to defray expenses, or perhaps help their families travel to games. My experience with our Fine Mess Collective and SyraCRUZ Tailgate has actually increased my passion for Cuse Athletics and one of the main reasons several disheartened fans are staying engaged.

It's the complete failure to set reasonable guidelines, or even enforce the rudimentary guidelines that have been established, that threatens to destroy what we love about college sports. Recruiting HS players, and especially transfers, with NIL inducements needs to be addressed. In terms of enrolled players receiving outsized payments, I don't know that there is, or frankly should be, any putting the genie back in the bottle, but assume market forces may prevail and things will settle down at least a bit.

What about coaches making astronomical amounts of money and universities getting rich off lucrative television contracts? Do you still want those things to stay?

"Nobody is putting a gun to your head saying you have to coach college basketball. Or take money from CBS."
Which universities are "getting rich off lucrative television contracts"? Do you believe they're just hoarding the money and not using it for their other sports? If so, into which account do they put all that money so it's hidden from view? Is it in Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, or some other place with strict banking anonymity laws? Do you think SU's lacrosse teams (the best attended in the NCAA) pay for themselves?

Great points and arguments all around, and certainly no easy answers. The impotence of the NCAA is on full display as they once again abdicate and let the inmates run the asylum.
Personally for me, its always been about the hypocrisy. Calling them "student athletes" was a great deal...for everyone but the students. Yeah they got some perks, but the adults were profiting off their hard work, and meanwhile they couldnt accept a measly lunch or plane ticket home without being punished.
Yes, it's a clusterfkc right now, but eventually it'll shake itself out and we'll see what it looks like then. But one thing is crystal clear- college sports are no longer what we grew up with...but then again, we can say that about most everything. It is, what it is. JMHO
The NCAA is impotent on this because the member schools won't let it get involved. Just like with conference realignment, the member schools want total freedom of action without NCAA HQ's interference.

if you want to charge a kid for an autograph. cool. i think your a dick but whatever. if a shop is selling your jersey # (WITH YOUR NAME ON IT) . cool you deserve a cut of the profits. if you want to make a cheesy commercial for a local pest control company or taco truck then fine. i'm cool with it (provided the rate for service is reasonable and in line with other spokespeople) . if you expect 6 figures just for showing up on campus ???? you've gone pro dude.
and i ain't cool with that.

if you want to charge a kid for an autograph. cool. i think your a dick but whatever. if a shop is selling your jersey # (WITH YOUR NAME ON IT) . cool you deserve a cut of the profits. if you want to make a cheesy commercial for a local pest control company or taco truck then fine. i'm cool with it (provided the rate for service is reasonable and in line with other spokespeople) . if you expect 6 figures just for showing up on campus ???? you've gone pro dude.
I don't think the rate needs to be reasonable. And if somebody wants to pay someone 6 figures to play on campus, that's no problem with me either. It's not my money.

This happened before you just didn’t hear about it.

The problem with giving the kids a cut of the profits on the jersey or money for appearing in the ad for the local pest control company or taco truck is that ultimately it gives the schools that have better ties to big markets (Ga Tech <Atlanta>, BC <Boston>, Notre Dame <Chicago>, St. John's <NYC> etc... a huge advantage over schools in mid-size (Syracuse) or small markets Virginia Tech <Blacksburg>, Clemson (Clemson, SC).

College Sports is an amateur pursuit. If you don't want to do it for the education, room and board, free meals, and free travel then move along to you next destination. If the Universities make some money on the deal, lets hope they use it for the greater good.

Maybe place limits on coaches' salaries?? or Stadium spending, as Penn State is about to drop $700 million on upgrades to its Beaver Lodge. Can't they build two new ones for that price tag??

Last edited:
The problem with giving the kids a cut of the profits on the jersey or money for appearing in the ad for the local pest control company or taco truck is that ultimately it gives the schools that have better ties to big markets (Ga Tech <Atlanta>, BC <Boston>, Notre Dame <Chicago>, St. John's <NYC> etc... a huge advantage over schools in mid-size (Syracuse) or small markets Virginia Tech <Blacksburg>, Clemson (Clemson, SC).

College Sports is an amateur pursuit. If you don't want to do it for the education, room and board, free meals, and free travel then move along to you next destination. If the Universities make some money on the deal, lets hope they use it for the greater good.

Maybe place limits on coaches' salaries?? or Stadium spending, as Penn State is about to drop $700 million on upgrades to its Beaver Lodge. Can't they build two new ones for that price tag??
BC,Ga Tech and Notre Dame don’t seem to be leading the NIL universe. Nobody paying these kids to speak is expecting to make money off their commercials, it’s all a farce to get the kid to ball out for their beloved team.

Very, very few big cities care about college sports. It's hard for me to imagine an athlete from ND in any sort of ad in Chicago. It's easier for me to imagine a Clemson/SCAR athlete in a commercial in Charleston/Myrtle Beach or a VPI/UVa athlete in a commercial in Richmond/Tidewater than any college athlete in one of the cities you mention.

Unfortunately college sports serve as the minor leagues for basketball and football. The NFL won't start one and the NBA has made a half-hearted effort (IMO) to get one going.

The Universities do make money and they put it into the non-revenue sports.

Coaches' salaries largely come from booster money because the total far outstrips the money schools get from TV.

let's stick to jersey's for one sec. if a store is hotcake selling my university jersey # without my name on the back am i entitled to compensation ? i say NO . you don't own the number and lots of other player s have most likely worn the same digits. BUT when you stitch my name on it..YES !
i deserve a cut of the profits. that to me is what NIL was to supposed to address.

let's stick to jersey's for one sec. if a store is hotcake selling my university jersey # without my name on the back am i entitled to compensation ? i say NO . you don't own the number and lots of other player s have most likely worn the same digits. BUT when you stitch my name on it..YES !
i deserve a cut of the profits. that to me is what NIL was to supposed to address.
The thing that set the whole suit into motion was the NCAA basketball video game that included Ed Bannon's likeness.

I'm not wild about the "Just go somewhere else" argument. College basketball has become a cartel in that they have such a huge market share of top coaches, facilities, and TV contracts that they wouldn't get in most other industries. It makes it extremely hard for other leagues to compete in this environment. It doesn't help that the NBA isn't letting kids jump from high school which limits their opportunities even more.

I get that it may be difficult for some schools to compete, but I'm not sure that's a good reason to deny athletes earning potential. And as others have argued, it may not be divided strictly along big market vs. small market lines. I do think that D1 should split into two divisions with the higher division allowing NIL and the lower one focusing on amateurism and the student athlete experience.

Last edited:
This is incorrect.

The top players have been going to G League Ignite, New Zealand, among others for years now.

It's true for your Jesse types. Not for the top players.

Another 5 star heads to "not the competition"

when kids started skipping bowl games years ago... i sensed the trouble. NIL is end of amateur college sports as we knew it . but hey this is america. money rules. screw team loyalty.

Another 5 star heads to "not the competition"

In fairness it was surprising how many players he was able to bring in after that disaster last year. Color me unsurprised if summer practice gave the look of a poorly run team and a repeat of last year and the kid was looking for an out.

In fairness it was surprising how many players he was able to bring in after that disaster last year. Color me unsurprised if summer practice gave the look of a poorly run team and a repeat of last year and the kid was looking for an out.
True, I think my point is he didnt go to another D1 school.

True, I think my point is he didnt go to another D1 school.

Yeah for sure. He would have had to wait though at this point right? Or was there still time to where it's just opting out of his LOI and not a transfer?

Yeah for sure. He would have had to wait though at this point right? Or was there still time to where it's just opting out of his LOI and not a transfer?
Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I thought it was May then Adams leaves Kansas is playing for Gonzaga this year and he left last month.

Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I thought it was May then Adams leaves Kansas is playing for Gonzaga this year and he left last month.

Lol.. it's great how clear the guidelines are from the NCAA... on just about everything

They had some talent last year, but they looked like they had zero coaching or leadership.

They had some talent last year, but they looked like they had zero coaching or leadership.

Yep. They now have brought in Clark from Illinois and Ty Laur... who are very similar players. Both you have a lack of shooting. They have one guy returning that shot 35 pct or better from 3 in meaningful minutes with Mike James.

Basically another team full of decent athletes with no shooting and honestly no real plan it looks like in terms of roster management.

Flowers would have had to sit out a year if he tried to transfer to another college. Same with Adams, who won’t be eligible to play at Gonzaga this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom