NIT Bubble | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIT Bubble

The CBI changed a few years ago I believe, they don't take any P5 teams.
*Edit - I think I have that wrong as someone noted WVU was there last year. In any event SU isn't accepting any CBI bid regardless.*

We'll at least make that, right? Every game will be tough. It will be interesting to see if we respond Saturday or lay down again.

Honestly if your not making the real dance, does it really matter. I would rather SU just turn it all down and start looking forward to next year. Nothing worse then having to tune to ESPN at 11am and have to see the last few minutes of the NCAA preview show for games later that day while you settle in to catch SU vs Columbia in front of 12 people with some Q level announcer.

Honestly if your not making the real dance, does it really matter. I would rather SU just turn it all down and start looking forward to next year. Nothing worse then having to tune to ESPN at 11am and have to see the last few minutes of the NCAA preview show for games later that day while you settle in to catch SU vs Columbia in front of 12 people with some Q level announcer.

I'd like to get to MSG and maybe win the NIT. It would give the kids something to be happy about.

The only thing worse than an 11am game vs Columbia is 7 months with NO Syracuse basketball.

And they're mostly all Q level announcers now.

The CBI changed a few years ago I believe, they don't take any P5 teams.
*Edit - I think I have that wrong as someone noted WVU was there last year. In any event SU isn't accepting any CBI bid regardless.*

I was also thinking one of the tournaments decided not to take P5 teams but maybe not.

I was also thinking one of the tournaments decided not to take P5 teams but maybe not.

I found it. It's the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) that doesn't take Power 5 teams.

I'd like to get to MSG and maybe win the NIT. It would give the kids something to be happy about.

The only thing worse than an 11am game vs Columbia is 7 months with NO Syracuse basketball.

And they're mostly all Q level announcers now.

Lacrosse is your friend

I'd take play in game over NIT any day. We turned that into the Sweet 16 two years ago. But I get your point how 2002 was beneficial

I rather have an NIT Final Four run for this team than a round of 64 or play in game loss. This team isn’t getting to a Sweat 16. I think we can make an NIT Final Four. That would be great for player development and great for the fans who go to MSG.

I rather have an NIT Final Four run for this team than a round of 64 or play in game loss. This team isn’t getting to a Sweat 16. I think we can make an NIT Final Four. That would be great for player development and great for the fans who go to MSG.
That's insane. Nobody has a clue how things would play out in the tournament. What you said would be the ultimate hindsite. Right now, you're saying you would prefer the NIT over the NCAAT. Which is insane.

The only worse take than this today was the guy that said we should go independent in football and go to the Big East for basketball ... sheesh

The only worse take than this today was the guy that said we should go independent in football and go to the Big East for basketball ... sheesh
The UConn/Nuclear option.

That's insane. Nobody has a clue how things would play out in the tournament. What you said would be the ultimate hindsite. Right now, you're saying you would prefer the NIT over the NCAAT. Which is insane.

I don’t even see a path to the NCAAs in the first place. I think we go 3-2 to finish and can’t see better than that. At 17-14 we aren’t even bubble. Need to make ACCT semis just to get onto bubble, and that might not be enough. I rather us win the ACCT and make the NCAAs. Otherwise I rather have an NIT Final Four.

AD was on the radio yesterday and said NIT games would not be at the dome but he would seek another local venue. This would require NCAA clearance.

Very cool, I'm intrigued

Agreed. I will not like being in the NIT but I will watch and hope to win it. I just could not stomach watching the CBI. Even if it is our beloved Orange playing. I just couldn't.

Except for once a really long time ago when we made the NIT Final and lost to a Nolan Richardson coached Tulsa team, it seems to me that our NIT history is filled with uninspired games played before 6,000 fans in a nearly empty Dome, usually losing to teams in the first or second round who are more motivated to be there.

On the other hand, this team has gone to the NIT so many times recently that maybe they would be motivated to do well. I can't see much fan turnout if we host a game, though. NIT seasons are viewed as failures around here.

AD was on the radio yesterday and said NIT games would not be at the dome but he would seek another local venue. This would require NCAA clearance.

Smart move. Play at the Fairgrounds. What does that place hold, 5,000?

Smart move. Play at the Fairgrounds. What does that place hold, 5,000?
It would have to meet all the specifications for cameras and clocks and other things of those nature. My best guess would be OCC because they’ve shown they can handle TBT and I don’t see us wanting to play home games anyplace outside of Syracuse (Buffalo or wherever else)

I sure would like a game in Roch for personal reasons but it would def be better to have it in Cuse. What's the capacity at OCC?

I get the disappointment with the NIT but I think people are harsh on what it is. 6-7 ACC teams won’t even make the NIT. P5 schools generally don’t go below NIT these days so it’s the NIT or watch all the games in March without Syracuse being a part of any of it. Syracuse missed the bowl season at 5-7 and it would have been great to see 6-6 instead and a bowl bid, even to Detroit. NIT is like a small bowl game. Oh, and the play game is probably the dumbest thing in sports, two bubble teams going to Dayton with less than 48 hours notice to play in a game nobody cares about before any of us have filled out our brackets. I’ll admit the play in game is always better than NIT, but the NIT does has some merit.

The NIT bid certainly has more prestige -- still has some history to it, has the top leftovers, and has the finals at MSG which is attractive. The NIT bid is far from a gimme, because as noted above, more spots are now taken by lower conference teams.

I would still take the CBI bid for experience, but it seems most P5 choose not to. So I don't think Syracuse would take it. I only see one P5 school played in the CBI the last 4 years (West Virginia in 2019). Before that there was 2 or 3 P5 teams per year, so the trend seems to be for P5 schools to ignore the CBI.

If Syracuse finishes the year 16-15 then goes 1 and done in Greensboro to finish 16-16 the NIT is off the table most likely and JB won't take the lower bids. .500 may not be a winning season, but you can still say SU hasn't had a losing season since 68/69 in that scenario. I believe they finished .500 sometime in the early 70s.

The NIT is a letdown when you feel you got snubbed by the NCAA selection committee. Not the case this year. This team would be fortunate to get to play in the NIT. The experience of a game or two in a tournament setting would be good experience for our returning players for next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom