Nit is a very good and tough tournament. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nit is a very good and tough tournament.

Strictly from eye test - I see the personnel on this team thinking the NIT is beneath them and us mailing the game in with one of our WF type efforts.
Maybe we can dust off William Patterson

Once we have a thread talking positively about the NIT, we have succumbed to lower expectations.

I’ll root for Cuse each and every game, but no one cares about the NIT. I’ve never seen a “Junior Varisty State Champions” t-shirt.

Historically, for some programs with young teams, it has led to better things the following year. It's all about whether their heads are into it; if they are "in it to win it".

Even if they think they are, though, we still are too thin inside to beat everybody we're likely to run into.

Historically, for some programs with young teams, it has led to better things the following year. It's all about whether their heads are into it; if they are "in it to win it".

Even if they think they are, though, we still are too thin inside to beat everybody we're likely to run into.
I don’t think the NIT prepares teams for the following year at all. Fifteen practices before a bowl game? Yes. But not the hoops NIT.

I think the sentiment is that you're still a fan. But in choosing not to watch a Syracuse game you have no claim to be a better fan, or equal to someone who watches them through the thick and thin (and NIT).

Kind of like the football fans who held seasons through all the horrible years. Do they look at the casual who chooses raking leaves as opposed to watching a 1-7 team as their equals in Syracuse fanhood? Nope, nor should they.

When people pop on the board and scoff "I'll never watch Syracuse in the NIT" or "the season is over with the ACCT" The fans who stay aboard the ship until the end obviously would deem that person as a lesser fan. Watching Syracuse simply isn't as important to them if they tie restrictions to what types of Syracuse games they do watch.
Yeahhhh, I’m not into rating fandom.

Life is short, do what you like. If watching meaningless games doesn't float someone’s boat, who cares?

Come on. Why can’t people have reasonable expectations for this season, which is a transitionary year? It doesn’t mean those will be the expectations in future years. It’s only Red’s first year at the helm and he was thrown into the fire. Yes, next year we need to be a tournament team. It took Hurley three years at UConn to make the NCAAs, fyi.
I think Red has done a pretty darn good job this year. But I don’t think celebrating the NIT should be a thing.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

You don’t have to celebrate, like or even watch the NIT. But it certainly means progress for a program was even more irrelevant for the past 2 years.. we needed some level of upward momentum.

You don’t have to celebrate, like or even watch the NIT. But it certainly means progress for a program was even more irrelevant for the past 2 years.. we needed some level of upward momentum.
Yes 1000x!!

Red needs to massively turn this roster over in the worst way. Way more than just replacing a couple of players. We need new talent and a new attitude. I would rather Red skip the NIT and pound the portal or let GMac coach the team and focus on the portal. We need multiple starters from the portal. (Assuming the portal is open during this time I don't know the dates) The NIT can't stand in the coach's way of recruiting portal and next years class.

The NIT is no aspiration.
It's a losers tournament...for teams that didn't make the NCAA's.

If the Orange are in it, I'll watch and root for a championship.
That's what fans do.
And, sadly, being in it would be a step up from the past few years.
But that's not the place to aspire to be.

Red needs to massively turn this roster over in the worst way. Way more than just replacing a couple of players. We need new talent and a new attitude. I would rather Red skip the NIT and pound the portal or let GMac coach the team and focus on the portal. We need multiple starters from the portal. (Assuming the portal is open during this time I don't know the dates) The NIT can't stand in the coach's way of recruiting portal and next years class.
The portal opens the day after selection Sunday. March 18th. The NIT starts on March 19th.

This is gross. The players in the NIT have also checked out for the most part and want the season to be over.

Of course there are a dozen or more good teams that miss the dance even if the field is good it’s still a crappy event.

This is gross. The players in the NIT have also checked out for the most part and want the season to be over.

Of course there are a dozen or more good teams that miss the dance even if the field is good it’s still a crappy event.

What an uninformed, biased take. Don't watch if it offends you so much, but don't generalize and presume to know what's in the head of high-level competitive athletes.

I think Red has done a pretty darn good job this year. But I don’t think celebrating the NIT should be a thing.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
I don’t celebrate making the NIT. I do watch and there is some decent basketball, and winning it is not easy.

. Friend's….the NIT is not the Syracuse standard. If we fail to dance, this season will have been a failure by our standards….Red is well aware of this.

You're speaking for yourself...

Going into this season, I had the NIT as a benchmark sign of a successful year 1 season for Red.

I think that is still valid.

Do we aspire for the NCAA tourney?? of course... but we are in rebuild mode at this point it isn't going to happen overnight.

Red has done a solid job thus far... First 20-win regular season in a decade.

We're moving in the right direction and now is not the time for program snobbery...

i grew up middle child in a family of eight so i'm used to hand me downs. you put em on and make the best of life. ain't the best but it beats naked. strangely enuf my younger brother always got new stuff cuz i made sure to wear them the Ef out.
For some of the best times of my life……I was naked. Is that too much sharing?

For some of the best times of my life……I was naked. Is that too much sharing?
I think I speak for most of the board when I say...

1709778904283.gif

You're speaking for yourself...

Going into this season, I had the NIT as a benchmark sign of a successful year 1 season for Red.

I think that is still valid.

Do we aspire for the NCAA tourney?? of course... but we are in rebuild mode at this point it isn't going to happen overnight.

Red has done a solid job thus far... First 20-win regular season in a decade.

We're moving in the right direction and now is not the time for program snobbery...
Nope…Rewatch Reds introductory press conference….he knows the standard and stated it for all to hear. This is not snobbery…this is what we were told. We are staring at a third straight year of no March madness and that is absurd for this program.

If an athlete is playing in a game and doesn't care they shouldn't be playing.
If a coach is coaching a game and doesn't care they shouldn't be coaching.
If a fan doesn't care if their team wins or loses they aren't a fan.
If our team has more games in the future than currently scheduled and your expectations aren't met you are unreasonable.
If we win the rest of our games we are champions.
Champions of what?

. Friend's….the NIT is not the Syracuse standard. If we fail to dance, this season will have been a failure by our standards….Red is well aware of this.
Saying this season is a failure is going to far, but I also wouldn't celebrate anything NIT related. I'd simply call it a season of progress with expectations that the progress must continue to NCAA bids with continued progress into top 25 rankings with top 4 tourney seedings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom