NJ Recruiting Impact? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NJ Recruiting Impact?

So you're proposing an NFL-like scouting operation? Why not just put the huge resources needed for that into beefing up HS recruiting?
Guys are much more proven commodities after they have been in college for 2-3 years. The portal exposes the underbelly of the factory schools stocking talent. I can imagine a lot of players from the SEC see Shrader getting playing time on national TV against Clemson and wishing they were him. This is where a tactical advantage could be had, the idea of some novel offense being an angle for that is passe. Yes, apply analytics to recruiting, that's what I'm saying.

I would say the only portal guys we should consider are those who were on the two deep from SEC schools. If they were good enough to make a two deep there but got recruited over or can't quite crack the starting line up they are likely an upgrade here. Anyone else and its just adding depth. Depth is fine but we need to bring in difference makers and shore up some gaps.
Do you watch college football at all besides Syracuse? There are great players all over the place.

Actually Joe Rondi was but he hasn’t seen the field yet. Cuse coaches get more credit for taking guys like Rondi and Peña with NJ hs coaches - especially when Rutgers didn’t offer them.

I am worried about LeQuint. I know teams have been sniffing around because he’s having a big season. Hope we can hold onto him!

buttgers offered Rondi... but no matter, Babers' track record with his NJ recruits being productive has been very good. Gonna need Rondi to kick the injury bug and step up next season.

Do you watch college football at all besides Syracuse? There are great players all over the place.
I watch college football sun up to sun down on Saturday. I also watch the Thursday and Friday games. I'm a passionate college football fan. I didn't say there are no great players outside the SEC. I watch teams like Coastal Carolina and Cincy and get frustrated that we can't do what they do. I said we should use the portal to find difference makers and if someone was on a two-deep at an SEC school they will likely be an upgrade here. For example GS who was relegated to WR after an offense change. Players in the portal from other conferences are far less likely to be upgrades to what we already have. They'll add depth. Which is fine. Any clear impact players from P5 or G5 schools in the portal aren't likely choosing Syracuse in its current state.

There is a small chance to grab a playmaker from a MAC school considering Syracuse would be an upgrade.

I think it goes WAY further back from that, to the P / DeLeone era.

DeLeone was a presence in NJ. When they got fired, I think our "street cred" took a hit. Then, Gerg submarined our at the same time Rutgers had their pretend ascent, and here we are.
I think this was true, but DeLeone left 15-16 years ago. How many coaches that DeLeone had a deep relationship with are still in their same position? Some I am sure, but not in bulk.

It's time to self reflect, acknowledge the misstep and move forward by BUILDING relationships for the next two decades.

Take control of the narrative. DeVito had a real shot at SU (he went into three seasons as the starter). So did Taj Harris (left on verge of being the top WR for yards in school history). But let's chat about all the many NJ success stories through the years. Deuce is part of that story, but so is Strickland, McGloster, Pickard (Injury, got degree), Rodney Williams, Dyshawn Davis, M. Spruill (NFL), Krautman, etc. (all in the last decade). Take the narrative to the NJ coaches. Enlighten them. Stop waiting for a change to happen on its own.

I would say the only portal guys we should consider are those who were on the two deep from SEC schools. If they were good enough to make a two deep there but got recruited over or can't quite crack the starting line up they are likely an upgrade here. Anyone else and its just adding depth. Depth is fine but we need to bring in difference makers and shore up some gaps.
Our midseason All American Cody Roscoe disagrees

Last edited:
I watch college football sun up to sun down on Saturday. I also watch the Thursday and Friday games. I'm a passionate college football fan. I didn't say there are no great players outside the SEC. I watch teams like Coastal Carolina and Cincy and get frustrated that we can't do what they do. I said we should use the portal to find difference makers and if someone was on a two-deep at an SEC school they will likely be an upgrade here. For example GS who was relegated to WR after an offense change. Players in the portal from other conferences are far less likely to be upgrades to what we already have. They'll add depth. Which is fine. Any clear impact players from P5 or G5 schools in the portal aren't likely choosing Syracuse in its current state.

There is a small chance to grab a playmaker from a MAC school considering Syracuse would be an upgrade.
OSU, Penn St and Michigan are full of very high level guys who have little chance of getting much PT. Make it known that Syracuse is their best option to get a starting job. If this current team had got an impact DE and an impact WR from the portal, they would be undefeated.

DeVito's HS (Bosco) is in Bergen County, like 3 miles from the Rockland County, NY line. Harris' HS (Palmyra) is in Burlington County, just across the river from Philly. Not a ton of overlap there for it to make some solidifying anti-Cuse waves.

That said, TD was the last recruit Syracuse got out of Bergen County. Most of the commits out of NJ are Philly-area or South Jersey.

Yeah, aren't north Jersey (the Giants fans) and south Jersey (the Eagles fans) essentially two different states?

Yeah, aren't north Jersey (the Giants fans) and south Jersey (the Eagles fans) essentially two different states?
I'm from Syracuse, but I lived in Hoboken for 6 years. I'm not the biggest expert on this, but that's certainly the vibe I've always picked up on. Philly suburbs vs. NYC suburbs.

I think it goes WAY further back from that, to the P / DeLeone era.

DeLeone was a presence in NJ. When they got fired, I think our "street cred" took a hit. Then, Gerg submarined our program at the same time Rutgers had their pretend ascent, and here we are.

not completely true. We lost our grip on NJ before P was fired. The database only goes back to 2002 so can’t point to prior but we got 0 NJ recruits in 2002, only Osifchin and Krautman in 2003, only Chiara and Bedle in 2004 and 0 in 2005. So in those 4 classes we got 4 NJ kids. Three 3 stars and a 2 star. Far from what we had been accustomed to.

not completely true. We lost our grip on NJ before P was fired. The database only goes back to 2002 so can’t point to prior but we got 0 NJ recruits in 2002, only Osifchin and Krautman in 2003, only Chiara and Bedle in 2004 and 0 in 2005. So in those 4 classes we got 4 NJ kids. Three 3 stars and a 2 star. Far from what we had been accustomed to.
Johnnie Morant was last great NJ recruit and I think the way we mishandled him had an impact.

I can get behind that.

Point being, us losing our grip on NJ had practically nothing to do with Tommy DeVito and how he was handled.

I can get behind that.

Point being, us losing our grip on NJ had practically nothing to do with Tommy DeVito and how he was handled.

It's also recruited pretty heavy by everyone as well. Tough sledding. Big 10 much bigger presence in NJ now too

It's also recruited pretty heavy by everyone as well. Tough sledding. Big 10 much bigger presence in NJ now too

P&D had less to sell as other programs started investing and we ran a ponzi scheme with concession money.

Recruiting against Pitt and Rutgers wasn't as easy as just making the offer.

TD might have been the first Bosco kid we ever got. Harris is no loss either. Honestly, dozen's of NJ kids transfer out of their schools and its' much ado about nothing.
Daivon Ellison.

Pretty sure there were some Bosco kids back in the P&D days but have no idea who they are.

This is true. I think they would have survived, maybe even thrived, had they picked the right coach post P. Someone who knew how to recruit, particularly in the region. But by choosing Grob they really screwed the pooch.

If we had a good recruiter in there post Schiano 1, we may have been able to make some inroads, but we didnt. And now, we are where we are.

There are just so few coaches who are able to coach at an elite level but also know the region when it comes to recruiting.

All this being said, as someone who lives in NJ, you ask 10 HS football players in a vacuum where they WANT to play...you aren't hearing much Rutgers if any. Not hearing Syracuse either in fairness... but with any positive success they may have had over the last 15 years or so, RU still has not really penetrated the mindset here.
the blame rests with the administration for not investing in the program when we were winning. p got the blame!!! he had problems when rutgers was building facilities and the shine was off the dome. the university never reinvested in the arms race and typically us, we sat by. that is also one of the reasons that marrone left. we promised a ipf and never delivered . su has always been an also ran in the new era. and unfortunately, continues to be.
i also disagree, rutgers has penetrated the mindset -----look at the recruiting ????????????????

I've spoken to coaches in Massachusetts who were very complimentary of Pasqualoni's operation back in the 90s. They spoke about it very glowingly. We lost that touchpoint for sure when that group left. GERG didn't have it at all, Marrone didn't have recruiting chops, etc.

We haven't had a guy with real east coast roots since the Clinton administration. It isn't a death knell but it does matter to these coaches in the northeast who tend to become imbedded at the catholic/prep schools.

I've spoken to coaches in Massachusetts who were very complimentary of Pasqualoni's operation back in the 90s. They spoke about it very glowingly. We lost that touchpoint for sure when that group left. GERG didn't have it at all, Marrone didn't have recruiting chops, etc.

We haven't had a guy with real east coast roots since the Clinton administration. It isn't a death knell but it does matter to these coaches in the northeast who tend to become imbedded at the catholic/prep schools.

massachusetts wasn’t NJ for recruiting. And we were talking about NJ anyways.

the blame rests with the administration for not investing in the program when we were winning. p got the blame!!! he had problems when rutgers was building facilities and the shine was off the dome. the university never reinvested in the arms race and typically us, we sat by. that is also one of the reasons that marrone left. we promised a ipf and never delivered . su has always been an also ran in the new era. and unfortunately, continues to be.
i also disagree, rutgers has penetrated the mindset -----look at the recruiting ????????????????
Buzz didn't care about athletics at all except the money it brought in. If not for Michael Bragman getting the money from the state for the dome, we wouldn't have a football program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom