NJ Recruiting Impact? | Syracusefan.com

NJ Recruiting Impact?

javadoc

All American
For those who know how the NJ coaching network works, did we take a hit with TD & TH flaming out as they did?

For those who know how the NJ coaching network works, did we take a hit with TD & TH flaming out as they did?

I think it goes WAY further back from that, to the P / DeLeone era.

DeLeone was a presence in NJ. When they got fired, I think our "street cred" took a hit. Then, Gerg submarined our program at the same time Rutgers had their pretend ascent, and here we are.

I think it goes WAY further back from that, to the P / DeLeone era.

DeLeone was a presence in NJ. When they got fired, I think our "street cred" took a hit. Then, Gerg submarined our program at the same time Rutgers had their pretend ascent, and here we are.

This is true. I think they would have survived, maybe even thrived, had they picked the right coach post P. Someone who knew how to recruit, particularly in the region. But by choosing Grob they really screwed the pooch.

If we had a good recruiter in there post Schiano 1, we may have been able to make some inroads, but we didnt. And now, we are where we are.

There are just so few coaches who are able to coach at an elite level but also know the region when it comes to recruiting.

All this being said, as someone who lives in NJ, you ask 10 HS football players in a vacuum where they WANT to play...you aren't hearing much Rutgers if any. Not hearing Syracuse either in fairness... but with any positive success they may have had over the last 15 years or so, RU still has not really penetrated the mindset here.

With the portal, they need a new recruiting strategy. 40% regional development players that will stay 4 or 5 years and provide depth and some starters. 30% higher level recruits that may stay but could transfer and 30% portals that can start for 1-2 years. The percentages may be slightly different, but this would allow a lot of flexibility to address needs fast and have a strong core every year.

Last edited:
Q Price begs to differ.

Ditto for LeQuint Allen.
They committed before the departures. I’m curious about what happens with prospects yet to decide. Coaches going to steer them away?

They committed before the departures. I’m curious about what happens with prospects yet to decide. Coaches going to steer them away?

I think that there is probably a very different equation here for offensive players than defensive players. A promising DE from NJ is, IMO, going to be far more concerned about how defensive linemen develop under Babers, and if opportunities exist to develop into a possible next level player, than i think they take any territorial slight based on how another kid from NJ's stint ended up.

I also think that LeQuint is probably far more influenced by the fact we have a RB in this system getting post-season award chatter, and the system is skewing heavily run, than is affected by anything TD. It's one of the few upsides I guess to an offense that, at present, makes Deleone's look explosive in comparison.

I'm far more concerned about the overall impact to QB and, perhaps, WR recruiting.

DeVito's HS (Bosco) is in Bergen County, like 3 miles from the Rockland County, NY line. Harris' HS (Palmyra) is in Burlington County, just across the river from Philly. Not a ton of overlap there for it to make some solidifying anti-Cuse waves.

That said, TD was the last recruit Syracuse got out of Bergen County. Most of the commits out of NJ are Philly-area or South Jersey.

Hey it worked for Charlie Weis at Kansas. I mean, he made a lot of money so it worked out for him just fine
They are not unknown after they have played 2 or 3 years of college ball. Much more defined than freshman recruits. How many are starting on this year's team? Shrader, Bliech, Roscoe, any more?

Hey it worked for Charlie Weis at Kansas. I mean, he made a lot of money so it worked out for him just fine
Those were Juco guys, not 4 star recruits that played at major colleges or even guys who played at smaller colleges that turned out to be better than that. Juco guys usually have some serious flaws, that's why they ended up in Juco.

With the way the portal is shaping up, every HS recruit is going to play at multiple schools. Instead of handing out scholarships they'll be called internships.

They are not unknown after they have played 2 or 3 years of college ball. Much more defined than freshman recruits. How many are starting on this year's team? Shrader, Bliech, Roscoe, any more?
Starting / playing doesn't mean they're good, especially on a bad team. And if they've played 2 years on a good team, they're likely to continue playing for said good team because they're already playing!

Starting / playing doesn't mean they're good, especially on a bad team. And if they've played 2 years on a good team, they're likely to continue playing for said good team because they're already playing!
The big schools have 4 stars 4 deep and they may never see the field there. Guys who perform at the FCS or even D2&3 are better bets than a lot of high school guys. Why do you think in the pro leagues they go after free agents and make trades for players from triple-A, they are much more known and proven players. The portal is no different. It has been said here, ad nauseum, that you can't recruit here because of location. Well, make it known that Syracuse is a place to go to get a chance to showcase your abilities against very good teams and maybe give them what they need for the League to notice them. Get sponsors, use the NIL, this isn't collegiate sports as it has been known, but it seems like a good opportunity for Syracuse to exploit.

The big schools have 4 stars 4 deep and they may never see the field there. Guys who perform at the FCS or even D2&3 are better bets than a lot of high school guys. Why do you think in the pro leagues they go after free agents and make trades for players from triple-A, they are much more known and proven players. The portal is no different. It has been said here, ad nauseum, that you can't recruit here because of location. Well, make it known that Syracuse is a place to go to get a chance to showcase your abilities against very good teams and maybe give them what they need for the League to notice them. Get sponsors, use the NIL, this isn't collegiate sports as it has been known, but it seems like a good opportunity for Syracuse to exploit.
So you're proposing an NFL-like scouting operation? Why not just put the huge resources needed for that into beefing up HS recruiting?

DeVito's HS (Bosco) is in Bergen County, like 3 miles from the Rockland County, NY line. Harris' HS (Palmyra) is in Burlington County, just across the river from Philly. Not a ton of overlap there for it to make some solidifying anti-Cuse waves.

That said, TD was the last recruit Syracuse got out of Bergen County. Most of the commits out of NJ are Philly-area or South Jersey.
Actually Joe Rondi was but he hasn’t seen the field yet. Cuse coaches get more credit for taking guys like Rondi and Peña with NJ hs coaches - especially when Rutgers didn’t offer them.

I am worried about LeQuint. I know teams have been sniffing around because he’s having a big season. Hope we can hold onto him!

Actually Joe Rondi was but he hasn’t seen the field yet. Cuse coaches get more credit for taking guys like Rondi and Peña with NJ hs coaches - especially when Rutgers didn’t offer them.

I am worried about LeQuint. I know teams have been sniffing around because he’s having a big season. Hope we can hold onto him!
Good point. There's a couple of guys from Wayne, which is North Jersey. When I said Bergen County, I was really thinking of the big name Catholic schools in that county.

I would say the only portal guys we should consider are those who were on the two deep from SEC schools. If they were good enough to make a two deep there but got recruited over or can't quite crack the starting line up they are likely an upgrade here. Anyone else and its just adding depth. Depth is fine but we need to bring in difference makers and shore up some gaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom