NJ | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those numbers say NJ is overrated.

Honestly that state has churned out some really good players ... but they don't have the quantity one would believe based on what some people say. That is why IMHO if you aren't in on one of the top 10-20 guys don't bother going there ... ironically the state program (Rutgers) had their most successful season riding the back of a NY recruit that got away when P was canned.

If not for Ray Rice they never see a season like that, period ... every other year they nab quite a few NJ guys and are mediocre or worse ... I know that coaching is an argument as for why but I guess we will start to see this season if that is indeed the case or if is a case of overrated overall talent.

I just don't know why it's so important to get Jersey kids if we are getting kids that are just as good from Michigan, Georgia

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I just don't know why it's so important to get Jersey kids if we are getting kids that are just as good from Michigan, Georgia, and Texas.

Again, we can go after kids in other states, we always have. But the difference is location. I guess the "younger generation" ;) doesn't get that in recruiting. Every coach including Marrone will tell you the foundation of a teams recruiting is a 4-6 hour drive. People that day a place ia only a 2-3 hour flight don't understand not every family can afford flights for 6 home games. Ans recruiting Georgia is OK because of Adkins but he wont be here forever. All anyone ia saying is that we need to do more work in NJ because regardless of the assistants, it will always be there. Watch what Marrone does in the next couple years, then come back and talk.

Again, we can go after kids in other states, we always have. But the difference is location. I guess the "younger generation" ;) doesn't get that in recruiting. Every coach including Marrone will tell you the foundation of a teams recruiting is a 4-6 hour drive. People that day a place ia only a 2-3 hour flight don't understand not every family can afford flights for 6 home games. Ans recruiting Georgia is OK because of Adkins but he wont be here forever. All anyone ia saying is that we need to do more work in NJ because regardless of the assistants, it will always be there. Watch what Marrone does in the next couple years, then come back and talk.

What you don't seem to get is that the landscape of recruiting has changed completely ... have you ever looked at the rosters for Wisconsin or Iowa ... both good Big 10 programs that go and get talent outside of their 4-6 hour range. And what you also seem to forget is that the moment Miami joined the Big East and then of course the transition to USF, SU started attempting to and then successfully pulling players out of Florida. Many recruits like George Morris will now attend SU because SU will have away games in their home towns ... they have said just as much in interviews ... but hey what the hell do they know its not like they signed LOIs ... If Marrone does make a greater attempt to go back into NJ then it will be because of a new hire that has inroads there or they will be so caught up on recruiting that he will then attempt to mend fences because he has the time ... its not because of a bunch of pandering on a message board that I can assure you. Now I know why you are one of the athletic departments favorite posters ... by the way ... the recruits you are targeting are that younger generation ... when you fail to adapt to the times you fail to progress ... when are you going to get that?

its not because of a bunch of pandering on a message board that I can assure you.

Oh jesus, who says a coach is going to do anything because of message board banter.

And what you also seem to forget is that the moment Miami joined the Big East and then of course the transition to USF, SU started attempting to and then successfully pulling players out of Florida.

At least that part of your post is wrong. We were recruiting Florida way before Miami joined the Big East. MacPherson recruited Florida (Markus Paul, for example) heavily.

At least that part of your post is wrong. We were recruiting Florida way before Miami joined the Big East. MacPherson recruited Florida (Markus Paul, for example) heavily.

Very true ... although we were not pulling nearly as many guys then as we are now ... which just further feeds into my premise that times they are a changing ...

Oh jesus, who says a coach is going to do anything because of message board banter.

Not sure what Jesus has to do with it ... by the way he also said NJ is a waste of time. And I never said anyone said that. However the tone of this thread and some of the other chatter around NJ is nothing more than a subtle jab at the coaching staff and how it manages recruiting. Sometimes I think this stuff is generated because people know that staff and recruits alike read this board. So aside from taking the lord's name in vain and completely ignoring data is there anything else you would like to add? I mean you address the one point in my thread that was sarcastic and ignore the rest ... congrats ... you continue to be the master of diversion.

Not sure what Jesus has to do with it ... by the way he also said NJ is a waste of time. And I never said anyone said that. However the tone of this thread and some of the other chatter around NJ is nothing more than a subtle jab at the coaching staff and how it manages recruiting. Sometimes I think this stuff is generated because people know that staff and recruits alike read this board. So aside from taking the lord's name in vain and completely ignoring data is there anything else you would like to add? I mean you address the one point in my thread that was sarcastic and ignore the rest ... congrats ... you continue to be the master of diversion.

Funny stuff. Here is my summary from my first post which has made you go in 99 directions and also make false assumptions.

"
NJ is the only place I think we need to pick it up big time.

Oh the horror of that opinion.

PS: I think recruiting has started to really pick up the last 2 years. But that also has nothing to do with my opinion of NJ.

Funny stuff. Here is my summary from my first post which has made you go in 99 directions and also make false assumptions.

"
NJ is the only place I think we need to pick it up big time.

Oh the horror of that opinion.

PS: I think recruiting has started to really pick up the last 2 years. But that also has nothing to do with my opinion of NJ.

Actually my message has been pretty consistent ... didn't realize it has been that hard for you to follow along. I would love to see us get good recruits out of NJ or any other state ... and you are entitled to an opinion as I am or anyone else for that matter. I have also stated numerous times I feel recruiting is on the uptick with or without NJ. Other then your Wheatley shitck I haven't made many assumptions ... and of course I have already addressed that in this thread. So if you still feel like diverting the discussion away from data presented (like the ratio of D1 recruits per state) that is fine, just try to find another way to do it ... throwing out generics "like 99 directions" and "making assumptions" really is getting old. I have posed a hypothesis or two and never claimed them as fact and again have stated numerous times my stance on NJ and the staff's allocation of resources and that hasn't changed, across numerous discussions on this topic I have been consistent with my assessment.

Since Marrone got to the hill we have done that a few times without having to recruit the same players ...
My point was if we get good players from NJ, those are players they won't get. I wasn't necessarily talking about beating them on the field, but that works too.:)

My point was if we get good players from NJ, those are players they won't get. I wasn't necessarily talking about beating them on the field, but that works too.:)

Agreed ... I love beating those guys ... we never should have lost our dominance of Rutgers .. its the worst thing that could have ever happened due to the nature of their idiotic fan base.

Actually my message has been pretty consistent ... didn't realize it has been that hard for you to follow along. I would love to see us get good recruits out of NJ or any other state ... and you are entitled to an opinion as I am or anyone else for that matter. I have also stated numerous times I feel recruiting is on the uptick with or without NJ. Other then your Wheatley shitck I haven't made many assumptions ... and of course I have already addressed that in this thread. So if you still feel like diverting the discussion away from data presented (like the ratio of D1 recruits per state) that is fine, just try to find another way to do it ... throwing out generics "like 99 directions" and "making assumptions" really is getting old. I have posed a hypothesis or two and never claimed them as fact and again have stated numerous times my stance on NJ and the staff's allocation of resources and that hasn't changed, across numerous discussions on this topic I have been consistent with my assessment.

Not hard at all to follow. You don't like the opinion of some that NJ is a place we should focus more on.

The assumption you made was that you sometimes think posters say things because the staff ir recruits might read it. Yea, that's the ticket. Like they care about opinions or posters even consider that.

Not hard at all to follow. You don't like the opinion of some that NJ is a place we should focus more on.

The assumption you made was that you sometimes think posters say things because the staff ir recruits might read it. Yea, that's the ticket. Like they care about opinions or posters even consider that.

Well they obviously know who posts what and what is stated on this board and as bnoro so casually pointed out in another thread you are one of their favorites ... you damn well this board is read and followed ... to pretend otherwise is unreal. I am not saying its a terrible opinion... what I am saying is that the talent level there is overstated and the numbers provided earlier support that and that if we do make an extra effort there it should not come at the expense of what we have already built, not a difficult concept really. And once again you don't address those points ... so be it. As you would say not hard to follow. Try just once to address what I am saying instead of tap dancing around it.

I really don't have anything to add other than I am truly impressed at the posting endurance of some of you.

Well they obviously know who posts what and what is stated on this board and as bnoro so casually pointed out in another thread you are one of their favorites ... you damn well this board is read and followed ... to pretend otherwise is unreal. I am not saying its a terrible opinion... what I am saying is that the talent level there is overstated and the numbers provided earlier support that and that if we do make an extra effort there it should not come at the expense of what we have already built, not a difficult concept really. And once again you don't address those points ... so be it. As you would say not hard to follow. Try just once to address what I am saying instead of tap dancing around it.

I stopped reading most of them after I would get to the point where you diverged from my opinion and going off the deep end of nothing more than an opinion which you even now say is not a terrible opinion. Of course we should get the best players we can, nobody said differently.

As to SU, for almost 15 years I know who reads it since I give them access and have talked to most of them, some quite often. This board is different for now because people can read without registering. There jane always been people at SU that doesn't like what gets posted, its han nature. They really hate facts sometimes being posted or insixe i.fo even on a pay board unless it is something they want posted.

I really don't have anything to add other than I am truly impressed at the posting endurance of some of you.
Go hard or go home :). In earnest if I wasn't working I'd be sleeping I have a long week ahead!

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Certain members of this board feel that there is only one way to build a successful program, and that is the way that it was done before, when we were a successful program.

Others, like myself, feel that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and no matter where the staff goes to find players, as long as those players are of high quality and keep the program progressing, I really don't care.

Donovan McNabb was from Dolton, Illinois. When was the last time we got a player from Illinois? I sure as heck am happy the coaching staff went outside its primary recruiting area for that recruit.

A player is a player is a player. I don't care if he's on the moon. If he can play, and wants to come to Syracuse University, sign him up.

A few things i have learned in this thread:

- I feel DeepThrowIt just wants an SU coach to come visit and give him a free polo shirt.
- Stupid arguments go on for a long time.
- I can't wait for actual football to start.

I think the staff has pretty well proven that they know a hell of a lot more about the recruiting business than we do. Every thoughtful criticism I have seen on these boards has been answered over the past two years.
  1. We needed to be able to keep players in our own back yard - we have started to;
  2. we needed to go out and compete for players in the states that produce them - we are doing it;
  3. we needed speed - we went out and got it;
  4. we needed size on the line - we have some great prospects coming in; and,
  5. we needed play makers - they just got some.
I am amazed at the improvement in the last two years recruiting classes. (I do not care about Rivals and Scout rankings.) We have a lot to look forward to and that is saying a lot with this program.
Good job guys.

A few things i have learned in this thread:

- I feel DeepThrowIt just wants an SU coach to come visit and give him a free polo shirt.
- Stupid arguments go on for a long time.
- I can't wait for actual football to start.

There is nothing wrong with debates ... and actually if DeepThrowIt helps us make inroads in NJ give the man a polo shirt ... different people have different perspectives ... nothing wrong with butting heads over it ... in earnest we all want the same thing and that is for the Cuse to win ... win and win some more ... how we get there is always up for healthy discussion. I haven't been on this board nearly as long as some of the veterans but after some time you can figure out the various approaches each person would take and of course what their hot buttons are :) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom