No buzz | Syracusefan.com

No buzz

Is it me or has there never been less buzz going into a SU basketball season?
I think some of it has to do with recruiting and the fact going into last season we had some unknowns until the very end (TT and AW3) that made a difference. Since we have know what this team is for a while and started focusing on recruiting the next class and we were able to land targets (Bazely, Carey) it makes this season less of the focus and more of the focus being building to the future.

I will happily blame how football is playing. I haven't seen "when does basketball season start?" type comments from those who enjoy seeing the world burn. Also tonight is exhibition so that will help get people back into basketball for next week

No Buzz?

I hope not!

With Pitino now gone, who else is going to lead the league in personally putting his players into their defensive positions on the court during the game?

D04836F2-EED7-4797-96B1-6FB9E201F456.jpeg
Is it me or has there never been less buzz going into a SU basketball season?
This is when love for BOTH programs pays off. There’s tons of buzz right now. Basketball will take the torch in December.

I think some of it has to do with recruiting and we know what this team is
If football was 0-8 it wouldn't make any difference. Believe it or not, fans are able to get excited about 2 sports at the same time, provided they have a reason to.

Okay, I'll expose myself to the bullets...it's because the general consensus (away from us diehards/fanatics here) is that we are going to suck! No way to candy coat that. ;):) There was an article the other day after the league projections came out that SU has never been predicted to finish so poorly in its respective league. "Come on man!"

Football up, basketball expectations way down. Not really surprising. A fast start and a win over Maryland or Kansas would really get the juices flowing over the next month...

Each year it takes me longer and longer to get into CBB. I'm sure I'll be screaming at the TV by February - after CFB season/NFL ends. Used to be I knew everything about the top 20, conferences etc. by the time Midnight Madness tipped off. Just ambivalent right now. Hope the team gets off to a great start.

View attachment 114248
This is when love for BOTH programs pays off. There’s tons of buzz right now. Basketball will take the torch in December.
It's the first time in a while that the calendar just changed to November and football is not only relevant, but exciting to watch. Even in the Doug years, I found myself watching games on pins and needles hoping that the team would keep it close until the 4th quarter and sneak away with a win and bowl invite. Those were the days of the Big East, where competition wasn't exactly stiff to close out the season. This season, we close with @FSU, vWake, @Louisville and home vBC. Best part is I honestly believe we have a 50/50 shot, or better, in all of those games. If you would have told me that I'd be excited to be 4-4 going into November with that trimester to close the season, I would have either (a) Laughed you out of the room; or, (b) asked you to pass the hallucinogens. Hell, my response would have likely been both! Honestly, I couldn't be more greatful to the gods for allowing me to excitedly plan my weekends around the football games.

I think the basketball team is going to need every bit of the first 5 games to work out the kinks. At least we have a suitable distraction to weather the inexperience early. I do strongly believe that we will be a bubble team come tournament time, if not better. JB always seems to do his best with less.

...it's because the general consensus (away from us diehards/fanatics here) is that we are going to suck!

Agreed. Whether they will suck or not though, remains to be seen.

In any case, I think people have lowered expectations and are looking to next season when Bazley & Carey come on-board to 'revive' this once-storied program.

The AD didn't exactly boost fan BB spirit by sucking the oxygen out of MM.

So looking forward to tonight. Regardless of football team’s success, the buzz is sort of tempered for me beacuse I’m genuinely concerned about how the hell this team is going to score. Doesn’t mean I’m not excited. So many new faces. I’m just excited to see how they move around, the skills exhibited, athleticism, etc. Some real mysteries.

For me, assuming Sidibe can give serviceable-good minutes/play, it all comes down to the ability to put the ball on the floor and make plays. I think (again, see Sidibe) the D will be much better beacuse these guys seem to have a chip on their shoulders and will play hard on that end. Rebounding who knows. But, plenty of teams have advanced far in the tournament (see Arizona in recent years and many others) who weren’t good perimeter shooting teams. If you have multiple guys who can consistently break down a good defender off the bounce and make a play for himself or others then you can overcome some of that poor shooting, IMO.

I am actually more excited about this season then I have been the last few years.

The last few years we seemed to be trying to survive a downtrend. This season the light is shining bright at the end of the tunnel. I am very excited to see what our new guys can do and how they will develop over the course of the season. This is the foundation season for what will almost be better times during the next few years. I want to see two or three future stars emerge.

Go Cuse !!!

Little buzz because the Eeyores have dominated the pre-season discussion, such that the consensus is that this team will be NIT-bound.

There are a handful of voices that are cautiously optimistic but next to nobody saying outright that this will be an NCAA team.

I'm on the optimistic side and it feels lonely over here.

Little buzz because the Eeyores have dominated the pre-season discussion, such that the consensus is that this team will be NIT-bound.

There are a handful of voices that are cautiously optimistic but next to nobody saying outright that this will be an NCAA team.

I hate that you’re lonely! I have never in my life been accused of being an Eeyore but I do have misgivings. Yes indeedy I do. I think they may be slow out of the gate but then will pick up speed and we will see improvements week by week.

I’m with you on the (cautiously) optimistic side. They could struggle a little bit in early ACC play, but I’m hopeful they can come together and be playing like a cohesive defensive juggernaut by late in the season. Just gotta do well in the non conference and get a couple of solid wins against, say, UConn and Maryland, and that will give the team (and us) a confidence boost. And don’t lose to those gd Hoyas!

If were relying on Bayer for production we are going to need some Bayer

View attachment 114286
Yep. If Bayer can shoot as well as advertised then he is definitely needed this year. Didn't anyone else see that our walk on's have the worst shooting strokes I have ever seen? I thought walk ons were usually gym rats that just weren't tall enough for their skill level but they looked like they were just slinging the ball up there. I don't think Autry took a shot but the rest..Oy Vey! Someone needs to be able to hit a shot when all the scholarship players hit the pine. But regular or even occasional PT? I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom