No buzz | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No buzz

JB spends time talking about him so someone must think he has a spot.

Agreed. Whether they will suck or not though, remains to be seen.

In any case, I think people have lowered expectations and are looking to next season when Bazley & Carey come on-board to 'revive' this once-storied program.
As an SU fan I think it’s BS that we have conditioned ourselves to thinking it’s acceptable to write off a season. Sure we’ll still watch for player development, etc, but we have no aspirations for national relevance this year. At least on the court.

I hate that you’re lonely! I have never in my life been accused of being an Eeyore but I do have misgivings. Yes indeedy I do. I think they may be slow out of the gate but then will pick up speed and we will see improvements week by week.
I wasn't referring to you, bballbeadle :)

As an SU fan I think it’s BS that we have conditioned ourselves to thinking it’s acceptable to write off a season. Sure we’ll still watch for player development, etc, but we have no aspirations for national relevance this year. At least on the court.
This is incoherent. In your first sentence you state that it is unacceptable to write off a season, then in your second sentence you do just that!

I'm not writing off the season and I think we are going to be pretty good. One of us will be eating crow at the end of this season.

The last few years we seemed to be trying to survive a downtrend. This season the light is shining bright at the end of the tunnel.
Go Cuse !!!

To me, this is the season that we bottom out. Sanctions are about over, very good recruiting class coming in, young guys getting some experience.

My biggest concern, though, is winning culture. Now, of course JB has it, but what I mean is that "in the team" leadership that keeps continuity from year to year.

If you look back historically, almost every year we had 3 fairly experienced guys returning to build a team around - a big man, a wing and a guard.

With unexpected early departures, scholarship limitations and Mike checking out as a recruiter last year, we return the least proven talent EVER in 40 years.

With Taurean Thompson, I think we would have had enough to be a .500 team in the ACC. Without him, and without major improvements by Chukwu between now and December, I think this may be Boeheim's first losing record.

The question will be, is there enough talent, enough of the culture of winning, among the players to give them that extra bit of confidence that delivers results in a close game?

Over the years, SU has won way more than its "statistical share" of close games. We have been lights out in close games, which has been a big key to our long-term success. I think that directly correlates to having that core of 3 or 4 guys who have been there before, and know what to do at "winning time".

My biggest concern for this year's team comes from the lack of that winning mentality from last year's team. Andrew White and John Gillon, for all they provided, both came from teams that never really won anything. They did not have the ability to carry a team on their backs to grind out wins.

Tyler Lydon did not have enough of a strong, assertive personality, and was happy to defer to newcomers on a team that needed his leadership. Battle, for all his athleticism, was the 4th option as a frosh and is still a bit raw.

We'll see what happens this season, but that confidence that comes from repeatedly winning close games has eroded at SU, with this three year stretch of very mediocre basketball. That's going to be the hardest thing for JB to change back to our old "normal".

To me, this is the season that we bottom out. Sanctions are about over, very good recruiting class coming in, young guys getting some experience.

My biggest concern, though, is winning culture. Now, of course JB has it, but what I mean is that "in the team" leadership that keeps continuity from year to year.

If you look back historically, almost every year we had 3 fairly experienced guys returning to build a team around - a big man, a wing and a guard.

With unexpected early departures, scholarship limitations and Mike checking out as a recruiter last year, we return the least proven talent EVER in 40 years.

With Taurean Thompson, I think we would have had enough to be a .500 team in the ACC. Without him, and without major improvements by Chukwu between now and December, I think this may be Boeheim's first losing record.

The question will be, is there enough talent, enough of the culture of winning, among the players to give them that extra bit of confidence that delivers results in a close game?

Over the years, SU has won way more than its "statistical share" of close games. We have been lights out in close games, which has been a big key to our long-term success. I think that directly correlates to having that core of 3 or 4 guys who have been there before, and know what to do at "winning time".

My biggest concern for this year's team comes from the lack of that winning mentality from last year's team. Andrew White and John Gillon, for all they provided, both came from teams that never really won anything. They did not have the ability to carry a team on their backs to grind out wins.

Tyler Lydon did not have enough of a strong, assertive personality, and was happy to defer to newcomers on a team that needed his leadership. Battle, for all his athleticism, was the 4th option as a frosh and is still a bit raw.

We'll see what happens this season, but that confidence that comes from repeatedly winning close games has eroded at SU, with this three year stretch of very mediocre basketball. That's going to be the hardest thing for JB to change back to our old "normal".

It’s very possible what you predict. Hard to say. If you’re going to try to be a big boy and reload with all of these losses and vacancies created, you need to do it with a bunch of guys who are ready to step in and be productive from Day 1. Some thoroughbreds as well. Oshae looks to be that type and possibly Sidibe. But you have too many unknowns yet. Moyer probably won’t be able to do much beyond some garbage stuff. Howard is a returning guy but it is unknown yet how he will perform. Geno is an unknown. Marek is probably a year away at least because of his frame. It is what it is. Doesn’t mean we can’t be good but the odds are stacked against that, IMO.

Was concerned about this when the Keita/Fair class graduated. My fears were realized.

Each year it takes me longer and longer to get into CBB. I'm sure I'll be screaming at the TV by February - after CFB season/NFL ends. Used to be I knew everything about the top 20, conferences etc. by the time Midnight Madness tipped off. Just ambivalent right now. Hope the team gets off to a great start.

Yeah. No teams are really all that good anymore. It’s just the way things have gone. The good players all leave as soon as possible, and teams rarely have much continuity from year to year. Less talent + more time needed to gel = lower quality b-ball and less interested fans.

I couldn’t tell you the likely starting 5 for any team out there besides Cuse. 20 years ago I could tell you the starting lineup for Fresno St.

Yeah. No teams are really all that good anymore. It’s just the way things have gone. The good players all leave as soon as possible, and teams rarely have much continuity from year to year. Less talent + more time needed to gel = lower quality b-ball and less interested fans.

I couldn’t tell you the likely starting 5 for any team out there besides Cuse. 20 years ago I could tell you the starting lineup for Fresno St.

Generally this seems to be true. I too could name starters from tons of teams back in the day. Obviously there are some exceptions like North Carolina recently and Michigan State this season but I couldn’t tell you MSU’s lineup. I do think they will be very good but, yes, the quality of ball and interest has seemed to diminish some as of late.

Somewhat OT in response to a couple of the above replies.

I agree with the thoughts on not knowing team players and strengths. And it does take away the interest.

I used to follow major league baseball like a fanatic. But that was back in the day when your favorite team had players who stayed their whole career. The only way there was a change was a hot young player coming up from the minors or a rare trade. Today, I barely pay attention to even my favorite team until the playoffs.

College basketball is heading more and more in that direction and I feel myself not having the intensity of interest I once had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom