No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN

I must be doing something wrong. I have youtube TV and watched last week's game. Today, when I go to ESPN+ and choose the SU game, it tells me I have to subscribe. Checked that my carrier is YouTube TV. I have a Samsung TV and there's apparently no separate ACC app.

Any ideas?

I must be doing something wrong. I have youtube TV and watched last week's game. Today, when I go to ESPN+ and choose the SU game, it tells me I have to subscribe. Checked that my carrier is YouTube TV. I have a Samsung TV and there's apparently no separate ACC app.

Any ideas?
You have a fire stick?

Any ideas?
There are two streams. The ESPN+ stream and the ACC Network Extra stream. Make sure you select the ACC Network Extra stream after you have select YouTube as your carrier.

The ESPNs and Foxes wouldn't need to charge so much if they didn't shell out so much to the leagues for broadcasting rights. Maybe those need to come down?
It’s a free market. You tell the leagues and conferences to lower their asking price when entities are willing to pay it.

It’s a free market. You tell the leagues and conferences to lower their asking price when entities are willing to pay it.

You're correct, it's a free market. And, we are the idiots and fools that significantly contribute to that said "free market." Until we don't. Until then, which of course unlikely will never happen, all the exorbitant excess, and all that that entails, everywhere in/relative to the world of (live) sports today will continue to flow/exist.

The most recent Joey Bosa & Joe Burrow contracts is just more proof in the pudding of the complete insanity that is out there in this incredibly privileged arena.

Back in AZ, and I have the current luxury of actually watching the US Open on ESPN!!

The point of bundling is that everyone helps subsidize the channels that others watch, and in the end it produces a cheaper product for everyone.

You watch some networks, your wife watches others, and you both get cheaper entertainment because of that.

It’s been proven time and time and time again… when the bundle unravels (and we’re close to that point) and a la carte is the sole model, you’re going to pay much, much more for the things you want.

Don’t get me wrong, both the cable operators and the programmers share blame across a slew of issues. Poor customer service, poor user experience, egregious ad clutter, and ever escalating prices have all doomed the industry.

But the day is coming where you’re going to pay $75-100 a month just for the variety of sports steaming services you’ll need to follow your favorite team. It’s coming, trust me.
I have no doubt the providers will try and price gouge. I expect consumers will not pay outrageous prices and providers will either lower prices to what the market will pay or go bankrupt.

A lot of worthless channels are going to bite the dust.

It is a shame that college athletics has made itself less attractive than ever with pay for play, player free agency and all the destructive moves in conference ‘realignment’.

When we see what customers are truly interested in paying big bucks for, I think we will see massive drops in revenue for college sports. And viewership will continue to drop.

It is a real shame this is being destroyed.

Actually, the easy solution from a consumer standpoint is to stop watching.

Enough people stop watching and it all unravels.

The ESPNs and Foxes wouldn't need to charge so much if they didn't shell out so much to the leagues for broadcasting rights. Maybe those need to come down?

100% causally related.

The blackout fight between cable giant Charter Communications and Disney is over.

Hours ahead of “Monday Night Football,” which airs on Disney’s ESPN, the companies reached a deal that would allow millions of Charter cable customers to watch the game, CNBC’s David Faber reported Monday, citing sources.

Terms of the deal are said to include a discounted wholesale price for subscribers for Disney streaming services, and an increase in marketplace, or subscriber fees, paid to Disney.

Disney says that Charter will give its Spectrum TV Select customers access to Disney+ with ads, in a “wholesale arrangement” between the companies. ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus customers (Plus being the more sports-centric tier), with the flagship ESPN streaming service being made available to those customers when it launches.

Charter will also market Disney’s streaming services to its broadband customers. As for the ability to tier some of Disney’s channels, the companies say that Spectrum “will maintain flexibility to offer a range of video packages at varying price points based upon different customer viewing preferences.”

There will, however, be significant changes to Disney’s channel offerings. Under the new deal, Freeform, Disney Junior, Disney XD, FXX, and Nat Geo Wild, among other cable channels, will no longer be carried by Spectrum, which instead will focus on the core ESPN networks, FX, Nat Geo and Disney Junior channels, as well as ABC stations.

Fascinating, thanks for the update OX and sorry for the loss of FXX.

Disney says that Charter will give its Spectrum TV Select customers access to Disney+ with ads, in a “wholesale arrangement” between the companies. ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus customers (Plus being the more sports-centric tier), with the flagship ESPN streaming service being made available to those customers when it launches.

Charter will also market Disney’s streaming services to its broadband customers. As for the ability to tier some of Disney’s channels, the companies say that Spectrum “will maintain flexibility to offer a range of video packages at varying price points based upon different customer viewing preferences.”

There will, however, be significant changes to Disney’s channel offerings. Under the new deal, Freeform, Disney Junior, Disney XD, FXX, and Nat Geo Wild, among other cable channels, will no longer be carried by Spectrum, which instead will focus on the core ESPN networks, FX, Nat Geo and Disney Junior channels, as well as ABC stations.

Hey Scooch, greatly appreciated your very detailed response to my question..very interested in your thoughts on the agreement and its significance...

Honestly don’t love that I lost channels in this.

Looks like I’ll be sticking with YouTube tv

I cut the cord and switched to YTTV this weekend. just dropped off my last receiver/dvr

The point of bundling is that everyone helps subsidize the channels that others watch, and in the end it produces a cheaper product for everyone.

You watch some networks, your wife watches others, and you both get cheaper entertainment because of that.

It’s been proven time and time and time again… when the bundle unravels (and we’re close to that point) and a la carte is the sole model, you’re going to pay much, much more for the things you want.

Don’t get me wrong, both the cable operators and the programmers share blame across a slew of issues. Poor customer service, poor user experience, egregious ad clutter, and ever escalating prices have all doomed the industry.

But the day is coming where you’re going to pay $75-100 a month just for the variety of sports steaming services you’ll need to follow your favorite team. It’s coming, trust me.

Will enough people be willing to pay $75100/mo to make that model work?

Pretty much every analyst I’ve read says that’s what companies like ESPN need to maintain revenues. But they also need more people to subscribe than they can expect to pay even $15/mo, which is a bigger number of subscribers than they can expect will pay $100.

Somehow the system is going to crash; the problem is you can never predict exactly what is going to happen. It will only look obvious in retrospect, but from where we sit today all we know is things will change rapidly over the next decade.

100% and couldn't agree more. The American way, driven by CEO and corporate greed, etc. Additionally, stock repurchasing/buy back tactics, etc. should be illegal IMO. All of this is, in large, why the top 10% own/have approximately 70% of all/total wealth in this country.

Agree that stock buybacks are a problem, but based on the rest of your rant I don’t think you have the foggiest of clues as to why. The biggest issue is the American economic system - which is taught in virtually every business school in the country, and is considered gospel by both political parties - is based on the idea that reducing the value of labor (wages) and inflating asset prices (things like houses) is the road to growth and prosperity. It’s idiotic and was always doomed to fail - and we see the inevitable result as young people can’t afford to buy a house. (Note we’ll this is gospel for BOTH parties - if you are the type to rant about evil Republicans OR evil Democrats, you can’t even begin to grasp the real issue).

That mentality is why Iger bought every asset he could touch in his time as CEO - assets go up in value, so more assets means better stock price and performance. The problem for both Disney (and the country) is the thinking that has been used is deeply flawed - in Disney’s case, sometimes assets become worthless (or close to it). They should have spun ESPN off a decade ago when cord cutting started, but for some inexplicable reason they didn’t - and Iger still sees ESPN as core business. My guess based on past performance is he’s going to hold on to this pile of manure that ESPN now is, convinced there’s still a pony in there somewhere - while it continues to devalue more over time.

The best thing for Disney to do at this point would be spin everything off except the parks into a “new” Disney, and ideally name someone Iger hates as CEO. The park value of “old” Disney would roughly match current stock price, “new” Disney would be a hot pile of garbage that would almost certainly go to zero eventually (probably within 15-20 years).

Since we’ve got predictions of people paying $100/mo for sports access in the future, I’ll make a different prediction. I don’t think most of the production of sports content makes any economic sense - I will bet our access to televised sports drops dramatically. I remember not getting many college football games as a kid in the 70s, and a Mets game on a channel I could get was a treat. I think it’ll be more like that - you want to watch the Syracuse game at home? Too bad - nobody is producing it. Either go to the game or listen on radio.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom