No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN

Agree that stock buybacks are a problem, but based on the rest of your rant I don’t think you have the foggiest of clues as to why. The biggest issue is the American economic system - which is taught in virtually every business school in the country, and is considered gospel by both political parties - is based on the idea that reducing the value of labor (wages) and inflating asset prices (things like houses) is the road to growth and prosperity. It’s idiotic and was always doomed to fail - and we see the inevitable result as young people can’t afford to buy a house. (Note we’ll this is gospel for BOTH parties - if you are the type to rant about evil Republicans OR evil Democrats, you can’t even begin to grasp the real issue).

That mentality is why Iger bought every asset he could touch in his time as CEO - assets go up in value, so more assets means better stock price and performance. The problem for both Disney (and the country) is the thinking that has been used is deeply flawed - in Disney’s case, sometimes assets become worthless (or close to it). They should have spun ESPN off a decade ago when cord cutting started, but for some inexplicable reason they didn’t - and Iger still sees ESPN as core business. My guess based on past performance is he’s going to hold on to this pile of manure that ESPN now is, convinced there’s still a pony in there somewhere - while it continues to devalue more over time.

The best thing for Disney to do at this point would be spin everything off except the parks into a “new” Disney, and ideally name someone Iger hates as CEO. The park value of “old” Disney would roughly match current stock price, “new” Disney would be a hot pile of garbage that would almost certainly go to zero eventually (probably within 15-20 years).

Since we’ve got predictions of people paying $100/mo for sports access in the future, I’ll make a different prediction. I don’t think most of the production of sports content makes any economic sense - I will bet our access to televised sports drops dramatically. I remember not getting many college football games as a kid in the 70s, and a Mets game on a channel I could get was a treat. I think it’ll be more like that - you want to watch the Syracuse game at home? Too bad - nobody is producing it. Either go to the game or listen on radio.

Hello there, nice to meet your acquaintance. Thank you for your...I guess, rant, and enlightening me. I really appreciate it, as I've been trying to get out of my 'fog,' etc. so that I may 'grasp' the 'real issues' for some time now. ;):rolleyes:

FWIW, as I was posting my post, the furthest thing from my mind was politics, but rather simply the immense greed that is out there, and basically the premise of the rich getting richer. The links provided included data/facts supporting same.

I think this is an interesting article on the showdown that provides some insights into who won and who lost.

Seems like both sides gave some and got some concessions.

I think this means I will get ESPN+ and Disney+, and the standalone ESPN product down the road. But it also means higher prices will continue,

In the big picture, there is now more hope that big fees for live sports will continue. Though I think there will be enough cord cutting that conferences will be lucky to retain the revenues they are getting now the next time around.

Read somewhere that if ESPN had a standalone streaming service and all the customers it currently subscribed to it, they would have to charge each customer $70 per month to stay at their current level of revenue. You can see why they had no choice but to stick with the cable model.

People want more and want it free.. just like owners want more money , players want more money..

Sports did pretty well for 75 yrs when only the owners were greedy.. But not everyone is greedy..

Imagine if NFL/MLB/NBA top salary was 1 million.. Still a ton of money. And cable was $25 would people be jumping off the boat?

I have DirectTV and they are in dispute with Nexstar, which is somehow associated with NBC. I cannot get NBC here in Tampa on DirectTV. Is the game Saturday available on Peacock or NBC Sports Network?

People want more and want it free.. just like owners want more money , players want more money..

Sports did pretty well for 75 yrs when only the owners were greedy.. But not everyone is greedy..

Imagine if NFL/MLB/NBA top salary was 1 million.. Still a ton of money. And cable was $25 would people be jumping off the boat?
Teams cut payroll often and strangely prices never seem to go down.

chmKCClT_400x400.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom