No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

No College Football On Spectrum/ESPN

Apparently the dispute is not about the rates but that Spectrum wants to include Disney streaming services at no cost to its subscribers. That's because Spectrum probably believes everything in the future will only be streaming and only care about providing internet services. Disney says no; they are two separate services. I think eventually Spectrum caves.
It’s multi-faceted. Certainly Spectrum sees the future and is trying to craft a soft landing. But Disney is trying to strong arm them imo.
I think they settle on a 2, maybe 3-year extension as opposed to the longer deal the mouse wants.

Feels like the old days when people had cable and we didn't and wase at the mercy of NBC, CBS and ABC when it came to sports.

It’s not available.
It's available on my ESPN app. I have my ESPN through YouTube TV. I log into ESPN app with those credentials, and it shows it as available at 4.

I have Spectrum. Getting sick of paying for access to stuff and not getting it.

Spectrum might be telling customers resolution is expected shortly but their CEO makes it sound like this dispute might never get resolved. It really appears to be a seminal showdown for the future of TV in the US and I expect it will last a long time. The stakes are too high to cave quickly for either side.

I thankfully can get Verizon Fios in my neighborhood. Looks like I am going to be switching shortly.

These companies are ALL greedy bastards. Truly.

I have an easy solution. How about you don't pay some dude 30-40 million dollars a year to play a sport. It's also not just players obviously - owners and the like are swimming in cash too. The problem is that someone has to take a cut - but it's usually the customer because we have little leverage. The only leverage we have is not subscribing to the cable companies and streaming services when they do this crap - but that's not happening. Therefore, they will just keep hiking up our monthly bills so that we can pay athletes, their owners, and networks $$$.

Personally, I'll just turn and walk away from college football which is my favorite sport if this isn't resolved. I'm not going to bounce around and look for the next "feed", sick of playing that game. I'll watch SU via season tickets and possibly travel to a game or 2 and other than that, maybe watch if I want to what I can.

I have Spectrum. Getting sick of paying for access to stuff and not getting it.

Spectrum might be telling customers resolution is expected shortly but their CEO makes it sound like this dispute might never get resolved. It really appears to be a seminal showdown for the future of TV in the US and I expect it will last a long time. The stakes are too high to cave quickly for either side.

I thankfully can get Verizon Fios in my neighborhood. Looks like I am going to be switching shortly.
We'll know a lot by Monday night. NFL MNF Bills v Jets. Game is on ESPN & ABC. Spectrum customers in NYC do not have access to either ESPN nor ABC because the ABC station in NYC is owned by Disney. Are the parties, including the NFL, not willing to let viewers in NYC see that game? If the answer is NO this dispute may never get resolved & Spectrum's loss of ESPN & other Disney owned channels may be permanent. P.S. I don't believe ABC stations upstate are owned by Disney & thus are available on Spectrum.

These companies are ALL greedy bastards. Truly.

I have an easy solution. How about you don't pay some dude 30-40 million dollars a year to play a sport. It's also not just players obviously - owners and the like are swimming in cash too. The problem is that someone has to take a cut - but it's usually the customer because we have little leverage. The only leverage we have is not subscribing to the cable companies and streaming services when they do this crap - but that's not happening. Therefore, they will just keep hiking up our monthly bills so that we can pay athletes, their owners, and networks $$$.

100% and couldn't agree more. The American way, driven by CEO and corporate greed, etc. Additionally, stock repurchasing/buy back tactics, etc. should be illegal IMO. All of this is, in large, why the top 10% own/have approximately 70% of all/total wealth in this country.

Agree, it's a joke paying these guys the amounts they are getting to play sports. Yeah, yeah, they are getting "market price" yada, yada yada! Well, we are the fools that contribute to the "market price" by continuing to support, go to games, watch on TV, etc.

Furthermore, these top conferences and its teams getting the exorbitant payout/team. What did anyone think was going to happen relative to these sports carriage fees, etc. and continuously hitting the consumer with increase fees and what have you?

100% and couldn't agree more. The American way, driven by CEO and corporate greed, etc. Additionally, stock repurchasing/buy back tactics, etc. should be illegal IMO. All of this is, in large, why the top 10% own/have approximately 70% of all/total wealth in this country.

Agree, it's a joke paying these guys the amounts they are getting to play sports. Yeah, yeah, they are getting "market price" yada, yada yada! Well, we are the fools that contribute to the "market price" by continuing to support, go to games, watch on TV, etc.

Furthermore, these top conferences and its teams getting the exorbitant payout/team. What did anyone think was going to happen relative to these sports carriage fees, etc. and continuously hitting the consumer with increase fees and what have you?
Yay! Politics

We want the ACC TV deal to pay out Big 10 money to Syracuse 50+ million dollars a year but that will only end up trickling down to the TV customer. So rates will go up. Fox pays out more, Fox demands more from the MVPDs, the MVPDs charge the subscriber more. Basic.

Last edited:
I'm Team Spectrum on this. The whole system needs to be blown up imo.
It sure looks like Spectrum is likely to go out of the cable TV business & only have broadband internet. Or at most have a small bundle of channels at a much lower price, without any Disney/ESPN channels. (Maybe eventually also without any Paramount, Discovery (CNN) or NBC Universal channels.)

It sure looks like Spectrum is likely to go out of the cable TV business & only have broadband internet. Or at most have a small bundle of channels at a much lower price, without any Disney/ESPN channels. (Maybe eventually also without any Paramount, Discovery (CNN) or NBC Universal channels.)
Agree. They advertise almost exclusively internet and cell phone service now. Can't remember the last time I saw a tv ad.

They’ll just pull a frontier and offer broadband with a slightly discount subscription to a YouTube TV or Sling

Didn’t Spectrum have an exclusive right to provide cable in the city of Syracuse for a long time? It may have expired since I think some of the city now has access to Verizon(Fios). Wonder how many other municipalities signed away rights to them and how that would affect Spectrum just leaving the cable business and leaving these areas high and dry.

Didn’t Spectrum have an exclusive right to provide cable in the city of Syracuse for a long time? It may have expired since I think some of the city now has access to Verizon(Fios). Wonder how many other municipalities signed away rights to them and how that would affect Spectrum just leaving the cable business and leaving these areas high and dry.

Cable uses coax. Fios/AT&T use fiber-optics. I don't think any company would find it cost-effective to build out a cable network anymore. Fiber offers much faster, and consistent speeds, especially with uploads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom