No Divisions and 3-5-5 Model Starting Next Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

No Divisions and 3-5-5 Model Starting Next Season

Clemson is done as a National power IMO. TBD who if anyone steps up from the ACC FSU will eventually but that might not be until 2027 when we stop playing them annually.

People will forget that they actually won playoff games vs the SEC soon which no one else really has. Their in game coaching and play calling has been poor for a few years and DJ Diarrhea single handedly ended their run by being awful.
DJ reminds me of a larger more physical TD. Great tools but doesn't quite get it.

I also remember reading years back (and can't remember where for the life of me) that Miami has a very large alumni base in the Boston area.

I may be remembering that wrong but pretty sure they do which may have also played a factor in BC getting Miami.

Wake got the short end of the stick. They only keep Duke from the teams they play yearly. They no longer get their most played historical opponent, NC State 114 games. They still don't get their 2nd most opponent, UNC 104 games. They lost their 4th most played, Clemson 87 games. They already lost their 5th most to the B1G, Maryland 62 games. And they still don't play their 7th most, UVA 50 games. They have 2 teams tied for 8th, one which they lose (FSU 39) and one which they gain back (VA Tech 39).

You have to think both NC State and Wake wanted to keep each other. NC State has played Wake more than any other teams and 31 more times than Duke. You would think Duke would prefer to play GA Tech or UVA over NC State. So how the heck did NC State and Wake get broken up?
If I was wake i would look at it as a better chance to stay good.. Duke/GT have often gone long periods with poor/avg play.

Yearly ACC games lost 30+ games played:

SU- None
BC- Clemson 31, VA Tech 30
Clemson- Wake 87 (most played opponent), BC 31
Duke- GA Tech 89, UVA 69
FSU- NC State 40, Wake 39
GA Tech- Duke 89 (most played), UNC 56, UVA 43
Louisville- None
Miami- Pitt 41, VA Tech 39
UNC- GA Tech 56, VA Tech 39
NC State- Wake 114 (most played), FSU 40
Pitt- Miami 41
UVA- Duke 69, GA Tech 43
VA Tech- Miami 39, UNC 39, BC 30
Wake- NC State 114 (most played), Clemson 87, FSU 39

It is crazy to give up NC State vs Wake. GA Tech got screwed too. They lost Duke, UNC, UVA and got Louisville and Wake, teams that they don't play a lot. How did Pitt not get stuck with Louisville given having some history and location? Interesting that Louisville got 0.0 of their top 4 most played opponents.

I know a guy who's a huge FSU fan. He's happy that they're still visiting once every two years.

This is am insanely good away tailgate schedule in 2023

Away – Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia Tech

I hope to setup something for 3 of them

Throw in @Purdue

Can't say I ever saw 5 great trips like this.
I got a $100 gift card to the courtyard in Blacksburg since I was only person there who predicted Syracuse victory so I guess I am running that one back lol. Definitely doing Purdue as well.

Did John push for FSU over Miami or did BC have more influence? Happy we're not stuck with UL but disgusted that BC got the better draw. The way I see it Miami and FSU both are capable of becoming powerhouses again... and Miami was an old Big East member.
Id much rather have FSU

I wonder how much additional money each school will get from the Mouse?

I also remember reading years back (and can't remember where for the life of me) that Miami has a very large alumni base in the Boston area.

I may be remembering that wrong but pretty sure they do which may have also played a factor in BC getting Miami.
Miami also has a large alumni base in the NYC area, but Syracuse is a long way from NYC.

Yeah, it looks like UVA fell on the Llvll grenade for us.

Also in keeping with whatever ACC bylaw that Hoos has previously referenced, when if the ACC can't do something to specifically benefit Carolina teams, then they must then default to choosing whatever is worst for UVA.
Giving Louisville to us was predictable since they're Maryland's replacement. Other people on our board are upset when they shouldn't be since it was so predictable. I was hoping that the GA Tech rumor had some merit behind it, but ...

It's Rule 2b, BTW.

Are we happy about getting FSU as a cross opponent? Probably would have preferred a weaker opponent in NC State or Wake or something.
what? Nc state is weaker than fsu? Wake is on par.

this ain’t 1991

This is am insanely good away tailgate schedule in 2023

Away – Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia Tech

I hope to setup something for 3 of them

Throw in @Purdue

Can't say I ever saw 5 great trips like this.

I’m in to help with Purdue!

Miami has a history with both Pitt and VA Tech. Both Pitt and VA Tech make sense for Louisville. It is surprising that it ended up Miami and Louisville.

I think FSU chose us as their annual opponent they think is an easy win. They have more say than us. I’ll take a rivalry with them. If we win a couple they’ll try and play someone else in their 3 of course.

I’m surprised their fans weren’t pushing for someone else annually but it’s not a bad game we are right there with them recently and even if they get good I like our chances. Wish it was Miami but then again their only respectable season in the last 20 years was when Dungey drop kicked that dude and we should have pulled off an upset and that game against them was literally the only snapshot period their program wasn’t a joke. It sucks we haven’t seen a late season 4-5 Cuse vs 5-4 Miami Dome game since joining this league.
From Tallahassee...

"Many FSU fans were clamoring for Georgia Tech to be the third annual opponent. While this makes sense from a geographical perspective, the Yellow Jackets may not always be down as bad as they are right now as a program.

If GT utilizes its recruiting footprint and takes a step back towards the success it had under Paul Johnson, that would make for a third challenging ACC opponent on FSU's schedule each year.

If fairness is supposed to be part of the equation -- and that's a big part of why this is happening to begin with -- then Syracuse, expected to perennially be among the worst ACC teams, makes sense as a counter to FSU drawing two tough games each year against Clemson and Miami."

From Tallahassee...

"Many FSU fans were clamoring for Georgia Tech to be the third annual opponent. While this makes sense from a geographical perspective, the Yellow Jackets may not always be down as bad as they are right now as a program.

If GT utilizes its recruiting footprint and takes a step back towards the success it had under Paul Johnson, that would make for a third challenging ACC opponent on FSU's schedule each year.

If fairness is supposed to be part of the equation -- and that's a big part of why this is happening to begin with -- then Syracuse, expected to perennially be among the worst ACC teams, makes sense as a counter to FSU drawing two tough games each year against Clemson and Miami."

IMO that is overthinking things and short sighted. We are talking 2 games over 4 seasons. Clemson has FSU, GA Tech, NC State. They don't have a cupcake in there. When FSU is FSU, they don't need a cupcake game. Attendance would be better in Tallahassee for GA Tech than SU. Most of their fans would rather travel to Atlanta than CNY. Also, playing SU means the game is more likely to not be on Tier 1 TV.

Reaction from 2 FSU geeks. They hate it. Wanted GT. Said GT and FSU are the ACC's two biggest brands.
For the record, they say FSU and Clemson are the strongest brands and they don’t understand why the league wouldn’t have them playing in the biggest market, Atlanta, every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom