No Divisions and 3-5-5 Model Starting Next Season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

No Divisions and 3-5-5 Model Starting Next Season

It'll be interesting to see if/how they change our "3" in 2027.

I think Pitt is the only one we can get away from.

FSU picked us and Miami wanted BC the prior wanted a name program with fans to show up at away games and the latter wanted the rich major city.

BC has pull and won’t let us not play them every year even though there is no juice to the games.

FSU makes no sense for me. Va Tech or Miami seemed a much more logical fit.
I think FSU chose us as their annual opponent they think is an easy win. They have more say than us. I’ll take a rivalry with them. If we win a couple they’ll try and play someone else in their 3 of course.

I’m surprised their fans weren’t pushing for someone else annually but it’s not a bad game we are right there with them recently and even if they get good I like our chances. Wish it was Miami but then again their only respectable season in the last 20 years was when Dungey drop kicked that dude and we should have pulled off an upset and that game against them was literally the only snapshot period their program wasn’t a joke. It sucks we haven’t seen a late season 4-5 Cuse vs 5-4 Miami Dome game since joining this league.

Ideally I would have liked a rotation like the below. It separates by both distance and difficulty.

Year 1 @FSU, @Duke, @Pitt, @UVA
Year 2 @GT, @UNC, @BC, Clemson
Year 3 @FSU, @Wake, @Pitt, @Louisville
Year 4 @Miami, @NC State, @BC, @VT

Not that it matters at this point, but I think GT was the best match of good recruiting territory and winnable game. FSU is fairly good, though.

Reaction from 2 FSU geeks. They hate it. Wanted GT. Said GT and FSU are the ACC's two biggest brands.

Eventually they acknowledge perhaps the ACC did what FSU asked by including Syracuse as one of their permanent rivals.

I don't think Ingram is very intelligent, but he does. Someone should tell him that Carrier no longer has rights to the name of the Syracuse stadium.

Reaction from 2 FSU geeks. They hate it. Wanted GT. Said GT and FSU are the ACC's two biggest brands.

Eventually they acknowledge perhaps the ACC did what FSU asked by including Syracuse as one of their permanent rivals.

I don't think Ingram is very intelligent, but he does. Someone should tell him that Carrier no longer has rights to the name of the Syracuse stadium.

GT a big football brand?! Not in the playoff era. Clemson far out weighs them

I'm very happy with this. A little bummed that we don't get Clemson in the Dome every other year, but it's a small price to pay to get to play Va Tech, Miami, etc. more often.
Clemson is done as a National power IMO. TBD who if anyone steps up from the ACC FSU will eventually but that might not be until 2027 when we stop playing them annually.

People will forget that they actually won playoff games vs the SEC soon which no one else really has. Their in game coaching and play calling has been poor for a few years and DJ Diarrhea single handedly ended their run by being awful.

Clemson is done as a National power IMO. TBD who if anyone steps up from the ACC FSU will eventually but that might not be until 2027 when we stop playing them annually.

People will forget that they actually won playoff games vs the SEC soon which no one else really has. Their in game coaching and play calling has been poor for a few years and DJ Diarrhea single handedly ended their run by being awful.
Lol. Clemson’s obit is being written way too soon

Are we happy about getting FSU as a cross opponent? Probably would have preferred a weaker opponent in NC State or Wake or something.

You need a high profile cross opponent each year. Plus, it's Florida. FSU is perfect.

Wildhack on the ACC’s new 3-5-5 scheduling model: I think it’s really good for the conference. We get to play each other more frequently. I think that’s good for ACC football.

“You always want to win more. What I’m most pleased about is the off-seasons for those sports have been really good.” - Wildhack on four of the five major SU sports (FB, MBB, WBB, men’s lacrosse) having down seasons.

Wildhack on NIL: We want to do it the right way. We’re not going to buy players, and we’re not supposed to do that.

Wildhack on Dino Babers:”Dino’s not on the hot seat.” Points to a lot of positives in last six months, especially with recruiting and assistant coaching hires.

Last edited:
I'm a bit bummed we don't play Clemson annually but overall this is much better.

I'm a bit bummed we don't play Clemson annually but overall this is much better.
FSU wanted us. This is true. Did they want a team from the Northeast? Perhaps. Maybe it’ll help with some of their far-flung, NYC-based donors.

But the real reason they chose the Orange(men)?

They desired an easier third game. And I get it. The Noles’ other two permanent games are against Clempson and Miami. As we know too well, SU has largely struggled for the majority of 20 years.

I do hope that we prove to the ACC (specifically the Noles) that they bit off more than they could chew by fingering Syracuse for their third steady game.

Let’s be feisty SOBs and take it to them!

FSU wanted us. This is true. Did they want a team from the Northeast? Perhaps. Maybe it’ll help with some of their far-flung, NYC-based donors.

But the real reason they chose the Orange(men)?

They desired an easier third game. And I get it. The Noles’ other two permanent games are against Clempson and Miami. As we know too well, SU has largely struggled for the majority of 20 years.

I do hope that we prove to the ACC (specifically the Noles) that they bit off more than they could chew by fingering Syracuse for their third steady game.

Let’s be feisty SOBs and take it to them!

They only want us because we stink. I am surprised though that they didn't push for BC instead. Easier trip.

They only want us because we stink. I am surprised though that they didn't push for BC instead. Easier trip.
I bet that they considered the chance of playing outdoors in snow and 0 degree temperatures when weighing if they preferred to play BC or SU.

I bet ESPN/ABC/Disney would prefer to see BC play UM too, so they can use the game as an excuse to show Flutie's famous game winning pass.

was this a thing? The Miami boosters I know dont care about it
When VT got good in the 90s and Miami started their slow fall from grace in the early 2000s, the VT fans during that time period sort of deemed Miami as their "only equal" in the dying days of the Big East and going into the ACC they were tied together as they both jumped ship at the same time and they were really the only familiar opponent on their schedule at that time outside of UVA.

So it was kinda a big game to those fanbases.

Wake got the short end of the stick. They only keep Duke from the teams they play yearly. They no longer get their most played historical opponent, NC State 114 games. They still don't get their 2nd most opponent, UNC 104 games. They lost their 4th most played, Clemson 87 games. They already lost their 5th most to the B1G, Maryland 62 games. And they still don't play their 7th most, UVA 50 games. They have 2 teams tied for 8th, one which they lose (FSU 39) and one which they gain back (VA Tech 39).

You have to think both NC State and Wake wanted to keep each other. NC State has played Wake more than any other teams and 31 more times than Duke. You would think Duke would prefer to play GA Tech or UVA over NC State. So how the heck did NC State and Wake get broken up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom