No Majority for UConn or Ville from ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No Majority for UConn or Ville from ACC

From what I am hearing...there is an academic issue with Louisville on tobacco road; a BC issue and football issue with FSU and Clemson with Uconn...there has been no definitive NO from Notre DAME...that is why Navy being considered and may partner with a bball school...Notre Dame is a win for both academics and sports..otherwise getting voted in is going to be tough...additionally, Cincy is making a major push as you know...Cincy actually has the academic ranking as well as a good athletic ranking recently...so everything is on a somewhat hold for more discussions...going to be a roller coaster ride...hang on!

Louisville, UConn or Cincy?

Russell, Belk or Pinstripe?

Round and round we go.

From what I am hearing...there is an academic issue with Louisville on tobacco road; a BC issue and football issue with FSU and Clemson with Uconn...there has been no definitive NO from Notre DAME...that is why Navy being considered and may partner with a bball school...Notre Dame is a win for both academics and sports..otherwise getting voted in is going to be tough...additionally, Cincy is making a major push as you know...Cincy actually has the academic ranking as well as a good athletic ranking recently...so everything is on a somewhat hold for more discussions...going to be a roller coaster ride...hang on!

from what you hear is it for only 1 spot or could they add move than 1 of the bigeast trio?

The BC thing with UConn just won't seem to go away.

Why?

Because BC knows darn well that UConn is - or will be - better than them in just about every sport with the exception of hockey. It's one of the biggest reasons why BC left for the ACC. BC has huge problems earning support in the Boston area. It's just not a college sports town, unless you're talking hockey. BC is terribly threatened by UConn.

Yet so many people here and across the ACC seem to think that UConn is a suspect choice for the ACC.

BC may actually benefit from UConn joining the ACC. It would give BC a natural rival, along with Syracuse, and probably help beef up interest in football and basketball. I tend to think that many BC fans are disinterested with a number of the ACC matchups.

The is no rush for the ACC to add another team. So isn't it in the best interest for all to wait things out a bit? If the ACC blows up and SU is left behind I do not want to be stuck with UL or Cincy. At that point I want the ACC to have like minded schools and go all in for BBall. We will be G5 so going FB like the BE is currently doing, would be silly. A G5 is a G5 so you might as well have peer schools in your G5 and not a cluster **** like the BE.

Exactly. What's the rush? That's what the desperate do.

Are we worried that the Big 10 is going to take UConn?

I'm worried that they will take UVA, UNC or GT. If they are secure than so is everything else. No need to rush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can you play an ACC Championship game with 13 teams? If there are two divisions, one with 6 and the other with 7, does the math work out so that everyone plays the same number of games?

I believe conference title games require two divisions, no?

If they're really considering a FB only and BB only to take UMD's place, isn't the obvious combo Navy and Gtown. If that doesn't give you eyeballs in DC I don't know what does. I don't like this partial membership crap but if you're looking at the DC TV market, that actually makes sense.

No matter how much ACC lubes up its greasy hole with Navy and bends over in front of ND, they ain't gonna join. Notre Dame is laughing with their NBC money all the way to the bank.

As some leaks mentioned UCONN is not only an issue over the football program. BC hates them A LOT and UCONN also has their whole history with lawsuits after previous ACC moves. So several ACC schools are not liking this. Their damn fault for burning the bridges.

Duke/Wake etc. are of course opposed to bringing in a school that's an academic embarrassment compared to them (L'ville). So who knows what happens.

Cincy is sort of in-between (better academic fit than L'ville, not as good fit as UCONN, but better football than UCONN). However to me it's a settle choice that is the worst one. Either go L'ville or UCONN.

If they're really considering a FB only and BB only to take UMD's place, isn't the obvious combo Navy and Gtown. If that doesn't give you eyeballs in DC I don't know what does. I don't like this partial membership crap but if you're looking at the DC TV market, that actually makes sense.
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Navy/G'Town. Add Navy in for lax too.

They beat up VT in the Orange.

Didn't Louisville beat Wake Forest in that Orange Bowl?

VT's BCS game against the Big East, I believe, was ironically the ACC's only recent win, when they beat Cincy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The team that the ACC should be working on, that could start to straighten this mess out, is WVU.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pitt and SU = expansion members

UConn and UL = scabs

Have you ever had to decide which scab you liked best? If either school was so attractive to all ACC members, it would have come with us.

The team that the ACC should be working on, that could start to straighten this mess out, is WVU.

If the Ville is giving them heart palpatations over academics WVU would be a full blown coronary.

UConn and UL = scabs

Have you ever had to decide which scab you liked best? If either school was so attractive to all ACC members, it would have come with us.
They also would have been in a major conference before the BE invited them if they were attractive.

Can you play an ACC Championship game with 13 teams? If there are two divisions, one with 6 and the other with 7, does the math work out so that everyone plays the same number of games?

I believe conference title games require two divisions, no?
I recall seeing that the ACC has a 10-month departure notice requirement. If so, I expect to see Maryland on Syracuse's schedule next year.

Perhaps the ACC will let them out early for $100M. :)

FYI: before Mizzou became the SEC's 14th somebody came up with a 13-team scheme. The B1G did it with 11 for many years. Not ideal, but it can be done if absolutely necessary.

UConn and UL = scabs

Other than the fact that Pittsburgh is better regional rival for SU, I would prefer Louisville or UConn over Pitt.

Pitt playing at Heinz Field before lackluster crowds is SO unappealing. It's just not college football.

Yeah I lean more toward WVU too.

I recall seeing that the ACC has a 10-month departure notice requirement. If so, I expect to see Maryland on Syracuse's schedule next year.

Perhaps the ACC will let them out early for $100M. :)

FYI: before Mizzou became the SEC's 14th somebody came up with a 13-team scheme. The B1G did it with 11 for many years. Not ideal, but it can be done if absolutely necessary.

I was referring more to the year after Maryland left. If the ACC is left with 13, a title game becomes dicey.

Just did some research. The rules technically require a round robin

The rule states:

17.9.1.2 (c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

However, the MAC has apparently been getting away with not playing a true round robin, and the NCAA doesn't seem to care (shockingly). In the 7 team division, 4 teams play 5 division games and 3 teams play 6 division games. This also creates a disastrous scenario where two teams in a 7 team division could go undefeated.

Another workaround is to play a true round robin within the division, but have teams play a different number of overall conference games.

I would actually prefer Cincinnati to both Louisville and UConn. Andy Katz article makes good points for them over UConn and Louisville and that would be hilarious. I believe Cincy has better sustainablity in football because of the Ohio fertile recruiting grounds where they can get 2nd tier recruits and be better than Louisville and UConn. Mick Cronin has Cincy basketball rising and the reaction of Rick Pitino if Cincinnati went to the ACC and Louisville didn't would be priceless and be worth the price of choosing Cincinnati.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...i-bearcats-making-strong-push-join-acc-source

The thing is they have nothing in common with ACC schools. They are not Eastern. They are not even close to the same school profile. Not even close to as good academically. Not even close to as good athletically. FB and BBall they are fine but all sports they are lacking. Director's Cup standings:

08-09 129th
09-10 116th
10-11 150th
11-12 88th

That is embarrassing. Cincy shouldn't even be considered. UL you can make an exception for because they do well in all sports and have strong backing. But even UL doesn't belong. The only all sports option is UConn. Too bad Nova didn't agree to be 1A in 2004 when the BE needed teams. They would be a good fit for the ACC.

Personally I would just stay at 13 since there are no good options. Have a scheduling agreement with Navy in FB so you can make 13 teams work.

The only way that works is if you get an academic school to counterbalance them - so you're back to the "add 3" scenario. Unless you're thinking ND is a viable option...

All things considered, WVU addresses a lot of issues. At the end of the day, I think it's going to be some combination of 3 of L'ville, Cincy, UCONN, WVU, Navy, ND or Vandy. Those are the names that are consistently being thrown around, either due to regional location, availability, athletic profile, academic profile, and/or markets.

You have two distinct camps with competing concerns and I can't see the ACC just adding WVU.

from what you hear is it for only 1 spot or could they add move than 1 of the bigeast trio?
dependent on Navy-Notre Dame and what comes out of it...probably more than one...may be only way to compromise between the factions...additionally, both NC and UVA have indicated they are not going anywhere...and $50 million fee to leave by Maryland could be more than $3mm per university...not $1mm mentioned above.

If the ACC is even contemplating adding UL,, then they need to contemplate adding WVU (once again). They are a solid sports program that also offers women's rifling (I love chicks that can handle iron). The Backyard Brawl is worth something at the national level.

Womens rifling definitely offsets their academics. Screw UNC and their faux academic reputation. The cat is out of the bag...unless they choose to stand behind the magician.

1) WVU is bound by the GOR

2) They are so butt hurt over being passed over that I get the impression they would rather close down their football program than entertain the thought of joining the ACC