No material basis for this hunch... Just think Roberson is gonna blow up this year | Syracusefan.com

No material basis for this hunch... Just think Roberson is gonna blow up this year

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Something tells me that by January 1, all of America is gonna be talking about this kid and that - while we all loved Fair - 'Cuse won't miss CJ's game nearly as much as many on here think we might.

Roberson will average more rebounds than anyone in Orange since Slick Rick Jackson and is gonna score somewhere in the mid teens.

My guess 15 pts & 9 rbs with 1 block per game for good measure.

Mark it down.

I think people are going to be impressed with the entire front line & wondering how JB manages to reload each and every year, no matter how much talent is lost and without the gaudy classes that the Kentuckys, Dukes and Kansas' bring in over and over again.

Yes, I agree that he will "blow up", at least to the point of getting the job done.

I agree he will be in the 7 to 10 rebound range, though I would guess probably the lower end of that range. I can't see the 15 PPG though, I see more like 8 to 10. After all, he will probably only be the 4th or even the 5th option on O unless other guys don't get the job done. Also, it remians to be seen how many minutes he can play without getting into foul trouble, which is usually a big if for a big guy getting his first taste of big minutes.

I really liked what I saw of Roberson's offensive capabilities when I attended practice last fall. Couldn't believe how well he shot the ball, with range extending out to three.

Really finishes well inside, too. 9 rebounds might be high [we've only had a handful of players accomplish that in modern program history], but I could easily see him getting 15 / 7.

You forget that when Roberson was recruited some said that he would start from day one. If he had been able to practice at the start of last year I'm sure he would have had more meaningful playing time.

Tyler never had much of a chance last season to grow and develop; JB is high on him. It's got to be his year or the next group will leave him on the pines. IM, Roberson will have a quality year.

You forget that when Roberson was recruited some said that he would start from day one. If he had been able to practice at the start of last year I'm sure he would have had more meaningful playing time.

Nah -- missing August was a small setback, not that significant.
While Roberson will be improved from what we saw at the end of the season, BJ was the scoring star of that team that went to Estonia over the summer. Really need one of the forwards to help with ball-handling and perimeter play. I expect BJ to be that guy.

I can't wait to hear JB and the other coaches thoughts on each individual player in a week. I think its a stone cold fact, we are a really hard read right now just as espn has said. And its Very rare for a Cuse team to be really hard to read.

While we didn't return the scorers last year, we all knew ennis was going to be special, Expected huge things of GBinije and Dajuan, and many thought grant would make a huge jump, while Cooney would give us alittle scoring.

Virtually I don't think we know much on Kaleb or Mccullough(nor their jumpshot/one on one ball). What kind of jump can Gbinije, roberson, Dajuan and bj potentially make? I have no clue.

Rak I could see a huge jump from if his hook rounds out some, but the old saying goes if your a big and your scoring doesn't round out by your jr year its a stretch that it will skillwise. With a build like rak's, nothing he does physically could make him a better scorer I think, its all in his touch and confidence at this point.

I thought Gbinije was going to be huge last year based on his motor and I was wrong, Hes still a key player but a confident jumper would do so much for him. Cooney didn't show signs of shooting under pressure or off the dribble from outside, but he showed signs of learning a triche dribble drive jumper in the lane.

Not to be a debbie downer but I like posts like this and can't wait to hear from the coaches on the players, I can't think of a Cuse team harder to read in the last 8 years. Im at a loss for words right now.

Kaleb next to Cooney looked kind of like Flynn next to Triche body wise.

Last edited:
Who's sleeping on McCullough?

He's our most hyped recruit - on a national level - since Fab Melo... And before that Donte Greene and Paul Harris.
I think a lot of our own board members have lowish expectations for him.

Something tells me that by January 1, all of America is gonna be talking about this kid and that - while we all loved Fair - 'Cuse won't miss CJ's game nearly as much as many on here think we might.

Roberson will average more rebounds than anyone in Orange since Slick Rick Jackson and is gonna score somewhere in the mid teens.

My guess 15 pts & 9 rbs with 1 block per game for good measure.

Mark it down.

Here's hoping - the team should be great if Roberson can put up those types of numbers.

I do very much agree on the rebounding - I think 9 a game is high because (1) that's a big number for a college player, and (2) I expect BJ to get serious minutes meaning Roberson isn't going to play more than 30 or so. But he's got great instincts, a very good frame and athleticism, and forwards can put up big rebound numbers in the zone.

In the interest of making this at least a discussion, I think the offensive predictions are very optimistic. I thought he looked very raw on offense last year. Yes, he didn't get a lot of minutes. But he still shot like 22 percent despite taking the bulk of his shots from inside 10 feet. I'm just not sure what people saw last year that make them think he's poised to be an all-conference player this year. (I understand some folks saw him at practice and that's obviously better information than I have.) I think he's a year away from being a big contributor on offense. I would put the over-under at 11 ppg and take the under.

Truthfully, the thing that makes me hesitate the most on the over-under is that someone has to score. That just strikes me as a huge question market team-wide.

Roberson may indeed take the Sophomore leap and the rest of the front court is tall, athletic and deep... BUT, this team will live and die with the backcourt and in my opinion, it's a big concern. Not sold on The rookie KJ at all. He is not Tyler Ennis by any stretch. MG may literally be the key to the whole team. Cooney and Patterson will be inconsistent unless Cooney went to JJ Reddick camp... Fun few weeks of speculation ahead.

Go CUSE!

Last edited:
realorange said:

That was me.

I think the key to Roberson's development is his confidence. He looked very unsure of himself last year and I think part of it has to do with JB.
There are some players that JB gives free reign to make mistakes and others he has a very short leash. Let's see how it all plays out in a couple weeks.

I think the key to Roberson's development is his confidence. He looked very unsure of himself last year and I think part of it has to do with JB.
There are some players that JB gives free reign to make mistakes and others he has a very short leash. Let's see how it all plays out in a couple weeks.

At least this season even if JB sits him down for a mistake he knows he will be back in there. No real reason to play tight since he will be getting good minutes every game. I think its a lot easier to take criticism and improve when you know you will be getting another shot at it shortly.

I have extremely high hopes for Roberson, and not just cause he went to the same high school as my dad. Great motor, seemed like a ferocious rebounder. Definitely struggled with confidence last year, but he's going to get a lot more minutes this year and I think he's gonna be real good.