No miracle for St. Anthony: Basketball powerhouse to close | Syracusefan.com

No miracle for St. Anthony: Basketball powerhouse to close

sucks.
I went to a Hurley coaching clinic once. The most amazing thing to me was the way he ran the program off the court. Literally called every player's house most nights to make sure that the players were making curfew, tending to their grades, and generally stepped into those families lives to help raise those boys. What a shame that such an institution is going by the wayside.

I went to a Hurley coaching clinic once. The most amazing thing to me was the way he ran the program off the court. Literally called every player's house most nights to make sure that the players were making curfew, tending to their grades, and generally stepped into those families lives to help raise those boys. What a shame that such an institution is going by the wayside.

One of the best sports books is Adrian W's recap of a year he spent following Hurley / the school around. Incredible insight into what he did and the program. Even the ancedotes about how he found managers at the school connections for college and into basketball managing jobs at D-1 programs (including Syracuse) was amazing. He's turned down so many college jobs and stayed true to himself. One of a kind.

How have non of his former players not pony up some money to fix this?

How have non of his former players not pony up some money to fix this?

I think it's more about the ongoing upkeep. It would be throwing good money after bad. You could keep it going for a year or two, but the economics would never turn in your favor. It's probably similar to how most single-sex Catholic schools were forced to go co-ed to make things work.

Several years ago you could buy the Pontiac Silverdome for $600,000!* The annual maintenance dwarfed it.

*As a post-script, the entity that bought the space just sat on the property, never developed it and later listed the space for $30 million.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom