No more excuses | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

No more excuses

I'm saying that had a LOT to do with Wilcox's success. He was surrounded by NFL and high-end college talent. And to his credit he capitalized.

Yet he was in the nfl longer than any SU qb I can remember save mcnabb.

Nailed it Scooch, with a caveat. Until fairly recent years we have always had a solid running attack. Our O-lineman were quite adept at firing out and opening holes for the 1000 yard rusher du jour. When they were asked to take a step back and pass block it was sometimes a different story. Our great scramblers often had to scramble as much out of necessity as out of design.

Good to hear from you again, Dick. Also glad that you still haven't moved to MA or ME, either.

Good to hear from you again, Dick. Also glad that you still haven't moved to MA or ME, either.
good one.gif

Yup, Philcox was 10-2 his senior year (the only year he started) and went on the have a 9 year NFL career. His time on the Hill coincided with the Donny McPherson era. But, Philcox may have been the better "pure" QB, while McPherson was a great college QB.

IMO, Philcox might have been one of the more underrated/under appreciated talents to pass through the program.

Yup, Philcox was 10-2 his senior year (the only year he started) and went on the have a 9 year NFL career. His time on the Hill coincided with the Donny McPherson era. But, Philcox may have been the better "pure" QB, while McPherson was a great college QB.

IMO, Philcox might have been one of the more underrated/under appreciated talents to pass through the program.
Your Doug Womack apathy is appalling

If Wilcox was running for his life with nobody to throw to I’d say his developmental curve might have been different. But I think this also speaks to the argument that certain intangibles can’t be taught. Wilcox only had 1 year getting 1st team reps and parlayed that into a long pro career.

If Wilcox was running for his life with nobody to throw to I’d say his developmental curve might have been different. But I think this also speaks to the argument that certain intangibles can’t be taught. Wilcox only had 1 year getting 1st team reps and parlayed that into a long pro career.

Who's "Wilcox?"

What Philcox had were tangibles -- namely, size -- that translated to the NFL.

Who is Wilcox? j/k

Who's "Wilcox?"

What Philcox had were tangibles -- namely, size -- that translated to the NFL.

Great minds RF or maybe it's just quick fingers

Who is Wilcox? j/k
Probably a Freudian slip. I went to west genny before a certain former basketball coach got himself thrown out.

Reactions: 007
That actually makes me more worried now. I assumed he was involved in some way, he clearly likes things done his way but the playcalling this season has not been good.
HCDB has been involved in the play calling at every one of his head coaching gigs and the three-plus years he has been here.

It still amazes me how little the middle third of the field is used in their route trees. Erv Phillips we miss you.

Additional, I'm not sure we'll ever have an OL good enough to consistently protect a pocket passer. Without the threat of a QB run, the defense can tee off. Might need to reconsider our QB recruiting strategy.

Well said. Some QB's can do exactly what you want as long as everyone else does what they're supposed to. Others pull stuff out of a hat to make up for deficiencies. The 4 you mentioned did just that.

I guess...but an unpopular thought here: isn't Dungey an example of the former? When his teammates stepped up, the team won ten games. When his teammates were weaker they had a bunch of 4-8 type years.

Tommy doesnt trip up twice we probably score 2 TDs. the more he plays the better he gets it i think

And that was a fantastic play by #11 on the bootleg. If Tommy runs that play 100 times, I bet he scores on 95 of them.

And that was a fantastic play by #11 on the bootleg. If Tommy runs that play 100 times, I bet he scores on 95 of them.

It was a great play by #11 as you allude. I also agree with you on the 95 out of 100 if that play is called on 1st or 2nd down vs. 3rd and obvious after two straight runs up the middle.

I guess...but an unpopular thought here: isn't Dungey an example of the former? When his teammates stepped up, the team won ten games. When his teammates were weaker they had a bunch of 4-8 type years.

I don’t think it was a coincidence that every time Dungey went down the team folded on BOTH sides of the ball. He was the heart and sole of the team. His competitiveness helped will us to Ws.

I don’t think it was a coincidence that every time Dungey went down the team folded on BOTH sides of the ball. He was the heart and sole of the team. His competitiveness helped will us to Ws.

He was better than Zach Mahoney, no doubt about it. And the defense memorably fell apart in some of those games as well. (Insert flashback to that second half meltdown against Wake Forest here.)

Any youtube clips out there of Philcox?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom