No more excuses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No more excuses

I can’t comment on everything but trust me what people think from last year is far from the truth I’m gonna leave it at that . Let’s blocj , tackle and make good descions and we will be alright

But we aren’t blocking and making good decision, and that’s what scares us.

Because through the first quarter of the season on the field, this team is really disappointing performance wise (more than record wise).

Last edited:
Need the horses up front of course but nobody on offense is performing. There’s enough issues to spread around.
Sure but your asking the car to drive without wheels .

But we aren’t blocking and making good decisions, and that’s what scares us.

Because through the first quarter of the seasons on the field, this team is really disappointing performance wise (more than record wise).
I agree but leadership doesn’t make you block or tackle . Leadership can inspire and teach
But it’s not a magic wand

I agree but leadership doesn’t make you block or tackle . Leadership can inspire and teach
But it’s not a magic wand

The little things last year aren’t happening.

Individuals like Harris and Johnson are regressing.

But on one of the last plays of the 1st quarter, where there was a well thrown 50-yarder to the end zone that was dropped and had two penalties due to alignment/positioning...is bad. It’s unlike the behavior from last year.

And we lack the grit to execute getting the yards we need when we need them. That’s on soooooo many on this offense.

Leadership mandates accountability.

I can’t comment on everything but trust me what people think from last year is far from the truth I’m gonna leave it at that . Let’s blocj , tackle and make good descions and we will be alright

Can we tackle at the feet/lower body rather than shoulders from here on out LOL

Despite the thread title it seems like there are some excuses going on in this thread...

I thought the D came out ready to play and in fact could have kept the game respectable if we had an offense.

I watched my first SU game as a Syracuse area kid in 1958 and sat on the cold, wet Archibold steps as an SU student. Throughout my life as an aging guy we have had exactly four “magicians”; Don McPherson (my second favorite player behind Ernie), Marvin, Donovan, and Eric. That’s the list. We have had a few pure passers as well but the magicians shared a few characteristics. 1) despite being often characterized as “running QB’s” they hold a disproportionate number of SU passing records. 2) they were hard for opponents to prepare for 3) they often covered for weaknesses elsewhere on their side of the ball, 4) they often made those around them better, and finally 5) they could hurt you multiple ways.

This isn’t a knock on Tommy, who clearly has skills and potential, and I should emphasize is only a redshirt soph. But at this stage of his career he needs those around him to look good in order for him to look good.

Despite the thread title it seems like there are some excuses going on in this thread...

I thought the D came out ready to play and in fact could have kept the game respectable if we had an offense.

I watched my first SU game as a Syracuse area kid in 1958 and sat on the cold, wet Archibold steps as an SU student. Throughout my life as an aging guy we have had exactly four “magicians”; Don McPherson (my second favorite player behind Ernie), Marvin, Donovan, and Eric. That’s the list. We have had a few pure passers as well but the magicians shared a few characteristics. 1) despite being often characterized as “running QB’s” they hold a disproportionate number of SU passing records. 2) they were hard for opponents to prepare for 3) they often covered for weaknesses elsewhere on their side of the ball, 4) they often made those around them better, and finally 5) they could hurt you multiple ways.

This isn’t a knock on Tommy, who clearly has skills and potential, and I should emphasize is only a redshirt soph. But at this stage of his career he needs those around him to look good in order for him to look good.

Hey stranger. Long time no hear. Hope all is well with you.

Dick, one of my favorite posters. Welcome back!

I just don’t get why last year’s team mentality matters, they won 10, so something was right.

‘19 isn’t ‘18. ‘19 needs to figure out ‘19.

This year’s team is tight, all that matters.

Last edited:
No excuses but excuses...seems like passing the buck is going around. Sure the oline is having issues but it sure isn't only that.

Agreed. There have been awful drops by the WRs and at least one completely head scratching interception in every game. The offense is downright anemic right now and there is enough blame to go around.

I know Servais dropped some weight in anticipation of playing tackle instead of center for quickness at the tackle position. He dropped quite a bit of weight in fact. Last night #44 for Clemson was lined up at nose guard and he was literally twice as big as Servais. #44 destroyed Servais last night. Heckel is smaller than Servais and quite frankly, that big Lithuanian from Liberty was destroying him while he was in there. Even with Heckel coming back, which I don't think he will anytime soon, the offense line for Syracuse University will still be a work in progress that isn't working.
Holy crap! I know Clemson gets big athletic 5 star guys, but I didn't realize theynhad a guy that went 540 lbs.

Well said. Some QB's can do exactly what you want as long as everyone else does what they're supposed to. Others pull stuff out of a hat to make up for deficiencies. The 4 you mentioned did just that.

All very true.

I expressed some of this last week, but got some backlash.

Well said. Some QB's can do exactly what you want as long as everyone else does what they're supposed to. Others pull stuff out of a hat to make up for deficiencies. The 4 you mentioned did just that.

I’m a long time Patriots fan and I remember in the late 90s talking to someone about Drew Bledsoe. I commented that if Drew got good line play, had a viable running game, and there were good receivers, that he could be a great QB. And then I realized that just about any QB who was on an NFL roster could be effective in that scenario.

The great QBs are the ones who lead a successful offense when not every aspect of play is strong.

Which is to say, we really need to figure out the offense pronto.

seems like the big takeaway is that our OL needs to get better and our RS Soph QB isn’t clicking just yet

I thought both would be better out of the gate - but it’s as plain as day that it’s going to take some time and he’s going to be very good. I have faith the OL can improve (prob once Heckel returns).

HCDB is involved in the play calling
But again hard to do things without the big elephants performing let’s see now if we can settle in
play calling in the redzone was horrible.on the first one we were running the ball well up to that point. play calling this year has been horrible. however devitos lack of mobility may limit the plays..

I’m a long time Patriots fan and I remember in the late 90s talking to someone about Drew Bledsoe. I commented that if Drew got good line play, had a viable running game, and there were good receivers, that he could be a great QB. And then I realized that just about any QB who was on an NFL roster could be effective in that scenario.

The great QBs are the ones who lead a successful offense when not every aspect of play is strong.

Which is to say, we really need to figure out the offense pronto.

There’s a tipping point with OL play though. It can get so bad Brady’s not making it work.

The good news here is that it works in reverse too. It can get just good enough for our O to be much much more effective.

Lesser opponents will help too.

We all need to move on from last year and guessing at chemistry and leadership. You know what makes a good leader - a guy who can play. Thus far that has been few and far between at every position, and blaming all our woes on the OL can't be a good read if any player is on this forum. Every player and coach needs to own their flaws, and there have been plenty.

Keep posting!

There’s a tipping point with OL play though. It can get so bad Brady’s not making it work.

The good news here is that it works in reverse too. It can get just good enough for our O to be much much more effective.

Lesser opponents will help too.

Of course. Traditionally SU has never had a stalwart OL. Which is why we’ve been at our best when we’ve had creative, tough, strong running QBs. Absent that we need very quick decision making. Not there yet.

As long as we continue to recruit 3-stars and wind up in the 50s in the recruiting rankings we will have deficiencies and depth problems. Ergo, we need some bags delivered to sign the next magician.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom