no win requirement to bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

no win requirement to bowl

Will there even be bowls?
There won’t be many if any bowls
^^^These^^^ First of all, it's becoming harder and harder to imagine that the season will make it to November. The first forfeit is just waiting to happen. The biggest thing standing in the way of bowl games is that they're designed to fill what-would-have-otherwise-been-empty hotel rooms and restaurant seats. How many people are willing to travel to whichever city, pay the pumped-up rates for the hotel, and buy their meals in a restaurant in order to go back to their hotel room to watch the game on TV? The number of fans allowed into the stadiums is going to be less than each school's normal ticket allotment.

^^^These^^^ First of all, it's becoming harder and harder to imagine that the season will make it to November. The first forfeit is just waiting to happen. The biggest thing standing in the way of bowl games is that they're designed to fill what-would-have-otherwise-been-empty hotel rooms and restaurant seats. How many people are willing to travel to whichever city, pay the pumped-up rates for the hotel, and buy their meals in a restaurant in order to go back to their hotel room to watch the game on TV? The number of fans allowed into the stadiums is going to be less than each school's normal ticket allotment.

I'm really not sure attendance is that big of a factor for bowl games anymore. I mean, it still matters for the local communities, but the bowls make their money through tv money. Last year, 14 of the 40 bowl games (35%) had an official attendance below 30,000.

tenor (2).gif

I'm really not sure attendance is that big of a factor for bowl games anymore. I mean, it still matters for the local communities, but the bowls make their money through tv money. Last year, 14 of the 40 bowl games (35%) had an official attendance below 30,000.

Absolutely no question they get more from TV money; that's a given. The thing of it for the local communities is how much is put back into the local economy by the outsiders for the spending the community has to put out for stand-by ambulance service, police overtime, etc. Losing the spending by 1000+ outsiders has to hurt, even for those bowls where most of the fans come disguised as aluminum benches.

there is no reason to think the season is getting called off anytime soon

With PAC12 and MWC getting back in the game...we probably need to finish 4-7 at worse

Absolutely no question they get more from TV money; that's a given. The thing of it for the local communities is how much is put back into the local economy by the outsiders for the spending the community has to put out for stand-by ambulance service, police overtime, etc. Losing the spending by 1000+ outsiders has to hurt, even for those bowls where most of the fans come disguised as aluminum benches.

I have no doubt that it negatively affects those communities, just don't think it's a make it or break it point for the bowl games, as long as the TV money is still there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom