Non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans - why? | Syracusefan.com

Non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans - why?

steve deberg

Scout Team
Seeing the post of Keith Bulluck at practice (who was a big reason I became a Cuse fan) got me thinking.

For the non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans (there might be dozens of us!), how and when did you become a Cuse fan?

I’ll start.

Was a Titans fan as a kid, and Keith Bulluck was my favourite player (as I played LB myself). Around the same time Carmelo and the boys beat Kansas for the natty.

Combine that with the geographic proximity to where I grew up (Toronto suburb) and the Stockholm syndrome I developed during the GRob years, and I was hooked. I have more interest in Cuse football than I do my beloved Maple Leafs (sensing a pattern?)

I don’t even have the memories of the 80s and 90s to look back on fondly. I think the first game I watched may have been P’s last game against Georgia Tech.

I am not a smart man.

Anyone else care to share?

I grew up in rural NY. People from the City would call it upstate; but nobody else would. It is in Columbia County, the town of Elizaville. (Tyler Lyden was from there.) There was no ESPN, not only Monday Night Football was a bid deal; but so was Monday Night Baseball. Where I lived, cable tv wasn’t even available until after I was 18.

My parents and almost everyone we knew loved New York. The largest club in my school was not FFA. It was the Yorker Cl
ub, where we learned about New York.

Watching college football one Saturday I asked my dad why New York does not have a team? He told me about Syracuse. I have been a fan ever since.

I grew up in the backwoods of central NY about an hour and a half away from Syracuse in the late 70's/early 80's, so Syracuse was my team as a kid. Moved to Ohio in 9th grade, then to Texas after college (in Ohio). I don't change allegiances based on where I live. And you'd be surprised by the number of SU fans here in Houston area.

I grew up in the backwoods of central NY about an hour and a half away from Syracuse in the late 70's/early 80's, so Syracuse was my team as a kid. Moved to Ohio in 9th grade, then to Texas after college (in Ohio). I don't change allegiances based on where I live. And you'd be surprised by the number of SU fans here in Houston area.
I've been saying for years there are Syracuse fans everywhere in the country just waiting for us to get good again.
For about 15 years went to the ABC bowling tournament, and there always were Syracuse fans.

My dad graduated from SUNY School of Forestry in '67 but took some classes at SU and attended every game at Archbold. Basically, always thought of himself as a Syracuse grad. I vividly remember watching Seikaly and Coleman with my dad in the late 80s as a little kid and getting hooked. My love of Syracuse football and basketball is absurd considering I grew up in the Bronx and went to Delaware for college. I've seen maybe 2 Delaware football games the last 5 years but don't miss a second of a single Syracuse football or hoops game. Given how terrible the football has mostly been the last 20 years I've often wished my old man had kept his school to himself. But like many on here, since Fran took over it's felt like a dream. Haven't been this excited for a season since McNabb's senior year.

As the 11th family member to graduate from SU, I proudly say nothing is better than us having non alums/locals supporting and coming to games. SU needs ALL OF US die hards. Small amount of alums in driving range (hell we drive 8 hr round trip every home game, and Im considered 'close'). SU simply cannot make it without all of our friends who 'didnt go to SU'..keep coming, you make up the majority of the Dome gang! Bring the noise Aug 31 lets go

I grew up in Northern New York (Massena), and loved Georgia as a kid because of Herschel Walker. I even watched New Jersey Generals games. I had heard of Syracuse, but never went further than that.

I came down to Syracuse to attend Le Moyne, where I played baseball. One of my college buddies since day one, from Auburn, raved about Syracuse this and Syracuse that. My thougts were, "Who cares about Syracuse!? We go to Le Moyne. I play for Le Moyne." I didn't give two hoots about any Syracuse sport back then.

I got a job in Syracuse after college, and we would drink beer and watch Syracuse games on tv on Saturdays because, well, we were 22 year old guys with an awesome bar 4 houses up the street that made killer wings. I remember sitting on our living room floor and just falling flat on my back in anger when Gedney got tackled on the 3 yard line. I guess that's when it started for me.

Fast forward, and my wife and I were friends with another couple who had season tickets. We'd go up and tailgate, watch the game, and have a blast. Boom. There it was.

I got seasons, loved Harrison, McNabb, Freeney, yadda yadda yadda, and the rest is history.

Can't wait for this season to start. I want to feel like part of something big again.

Hope to see you all up at the Dome.

First heard of Syracuse watching sports reports by Joel Marnious(sp), Bill Hurley and Frank Maloney interviews, Art Monk etc. Grew up in Tioga county and was hyped that Mike Rotunda who originally went to my school Newark Valley could go to Syracuse!
First Syracuse game I can remember watching was the CBS game against Penn St. Where we opened with the reverse flea flicker.
But my first Syracuse exposure overall was listening on my transistor radio to the hoop win against NC in the tourney. I have been to several hoop games, but never football.
Can’t wait for Aug 31, but I live and die SU over any other team that I follow. GO CUSE!

One of my favorite stories is of a guy I work with - a customer turned friend of mine who grew up in Charlotte. His older brother was a GTOWN fan so he became a Syracuse fan to piss off his brother. 40 years later he is still a diehard SU fan.

Seeing the post of Keith Bulluck at practice (who was a big reason I became a Cuse fan) got me thinking.

For the non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans (there might be dozens of us!), how and when did you become a Cuse fan?

I’ll start.

Was a Titans fan as a kid, and Keith Bulluck was my favourite player (as I played LB myself). Around the same time Carmelo and the boys beat Kansas for the natty.

Combine that with the geographic proximity to where I grew up (Toronto suburb) and the Stockholm syndrome I developed during the GRob years, and I was hooked. I have more interest in Cuse football than I do my beloved Maple Leafs (sensing a pattern?)

I don’t even have the memories of the 80s and 90s to look back on fondly. I think the first game I watched may have been P’s last game against Georgia Tech.

I am not a smart man.

I think it’s really common to grow up in CNY and then go to school elsewhere and subsequently move out of state permanently. That’s what happened with me, but I grew up a Cuse fan just because it is the pro sports in CNY for all intents and purposes.

I grew up outside of Rochester(Webster) but my aunt lived in Liverpool and I had several relatives attend Syracuse.

In 1987(when I was 8), my aunt got me watching basketball and football. I’ve been obsessed ever since. I really wanted to attend Syracuse(wasn’t in the cards for several reasons).

Growing up watching the games(attending when we could afford it) and listening on the radio(oftentimes when fishing) with my dad was our big way of bonding. I’d give absolutely anything to watch another game with him.

I’ve been part of the Syracuse online community with all of you crazies for I believe over 25 years now through the Rivals, Scout and every other iteration of the board. It’s been a great part of my life every single day.

I grew up in Northern New York (Massena), and loved Georgia as a kid because of Herschel Walker. I even watched New Jersey Generals games. I had heard of Syracuse, but never went further than that.

I came down to Syracuse to attend Le Moyne, where I played baseball. One of my college buddies since day one, from Auburn, raved about Syracuse this and Syracuse that. My thougts were, "Who cares about Syracuse!? We go to Le Moyne. I play for Le Moyne." I didn't give two hoots about any Syracuse sport back then.

I got a job in Syracuse after college, and we would drink beer and watch Syracuse games on tv on Saturdays because, well, we were 22 year old guys with an awesome bar 4 houses up the street that made killer wings. I remember sitting on our living room floor and just falling flat on my back in anger when Gedney got tackled on the 3 yard line. I guess that's when it started for me.

Fast forward, and my wife and I were friends with another couple who had season tickets. We'd go up and tailgate, watch the game, and have a blast. Boom. There it was.

I got seasons, loved Harrison, McNabb, Freeney, yadda yadda yadda, and the rest is history.

Can't wait for this season to start. I want to feel like part of something big again.

My father was from Massena, I always thought Ike Bogosion was one of the coolest names I ever heard, he was pretty good too!

That you Jim Deshaies?

I prefer college football over the NFL, and we live two hours away. Syracuse was the natural choice because it's the upstate New York team.

Since becoming fans we've made awesome friends at our tailgate and were instantly welcomed. We definitely feel like we belong now because we do!

Grew up riding a school bus converted to a booze bus to every home game with my parent's friends and never looked back. Going to Syracuse football games has been my favorite thing in the world as far back as I can remember.

Was just old enough as a kid to remember something special was happening in the 87 season. I wasn’t old enough to attend any games or really understand the sport but the WV and Sugar Bowl games were a big deal. My father and his brother were SU alums so they led the charge and effectively groomed my brothers and cousins into diehards.

My preteen years were 87-92, literally, and then Mcnabb’s 4 years… so I had it great as a kid growing up. Those of us in our 40s - our fanhood is the product of those years. Took it for granted.

One of my favorite stories is of a guy I work with - a customer turned friend of mine who grew up in Charlotte. His older brother was a GTOWN fan so he became a Syracuse fan to piss off his brother. 40 years later he is still a diehard SU fan.
Love this. Spite fans are some of the best fans.

They can’t be reasoned with.

I started watching SU football during Jim Browns last season and quickly became a fan of Ernie Davis.. I cried when Ernie died. Loved to go to the Sunday Morning Freshman games and watch Floyd Little. We called him " Floyd Not So Little ". Had season tix from than till 1998 when I retired and Moved to Florida. I used to come North every Sept and catch eveery home game in Sept. Now I am 86 but still watch every game on TV. Can't wait to see them this year. Hope to see them get back the way they played when I was young. Go Orange!!!!!!

I’m italian i live in milan, italy, and i have been following siyracuse basketball and football since i was about twenty or twentytwo (now 57…). My link with syracuse sports is very strange: mi birthplace is Siracusa,in sicily, and my surname is Arancio, in english Orange. So, when i started following college sports, it was too easy rooting for the orangemen of syracuse!

I’m italian i live in milan, italy, and i have been following siyracuse basketball and football since i was about twenty or twentytwo (now 57…). My link with syracuse sports is very strange: mi birthplace is Siracusa,in sicily, and my surname is Arancio, in english Orange. So, when i started following college sports, it was too easy rooting for the orangemen of syracuse!
This is great.

I think you won the thread.

Awesome first post.

I’ll start.

I am not a smart man.

images-2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors