Non-revenue sports discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Non-revenue sports discussion

I could ask 100 people who won the championship in college soccer and I’m not sure anyone would get the answer correct.
Of course you would get some people in Syracuse to get it correct but not around the country as a whole.Lacrosse would be the same thing.

Better shut all the soccer and lax programs down

Better shut all the soccer and lax programs down
Why? I’m just saying that most people haven’t a clue about who dominates in those sports, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have them.

Why? I’m just saying that most people haven’t a clue about who dominates in those sports, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have them.

Oh, so they must be important at least to some people then right?

I’m not arguing whether people watch other sports more. That’s common sense. Lol. You said 99% of people in this country don’t care about soccer and lacrosse. Explain how you came up with that percentage?
Well to be fair 1% of the people in this country is roughly 3.3 million so ... there are probably that many college soccer fans really into it. I just don't know any. If you were to look at in-game attendance for college games and remove repeat visits by the same fans could you say that there are roughly 3.3 million people in this country that care about the NCAA soccer champ? That is the true question ... the fact that we could even argue this leads me to believe that if you boiled down viewership of these games you would probably have 3-4 million unique visitors so maybe 1% is right? Only 4000 fans at the NCAA men's soccer title game ... now do hoop and football ...

Well to be fair 1% of the people in this country is roughly 3.3 million so ... there are probably that many college soccer fans really into it. I just don't know any. If you were to look at in-game attendance for college games and remove repeat visits by the same fans could you say that there are roughly 3.3 million people in this country that care about the NCAA soccer champ? That is the true question ... the fact that we could even argue this leads me to believe that if you boiled down viewership of these games you would probably have 3-4 million unique visitors so maybe 1% is right? Only 4000 fans at the NCAA men's soccer title game ... now do hoop and football ...
We all know football, hoops, hockey and baseball are the most entertaining to Americans.

The point of my response is, why go out your way to devalue a national title won by a team representing SU? Is that the best way to express your frustration with Cuse football?

We all know football, hoops, hockey and baseball are the most entertaining to Americans.

The point of my response is, why go out your way to devalue a national title won by a team representing SU? Is that the best way to express your frustration with Cuse football?
Totally agree but that leads me to this question ... if you don't care about whether or not a team wins a natty in soccer because football is where your passion lies, garners the most revenue for an AD and is hands down the most watched sport and typically forms the perspective a casual fan would have of your university why would you not emphasize football and not truly care about soccer? As a society we are so quick to jump on a take, that we form a basis by which we see it and expect folks to have that same perspective.

Obviously as a coach and as someone connected to an athletic department your view will be different. Still doesn't escape that fact that a.) that 1% probably isn't as far fetched just based solely on attendance numbers and b.) success by any team in an AD can contribute to developing a positive image around a school's athletic department. In the end maybe he isn't devaluing the success of the team but more frustrated by the fact that football's performance has not been anywhere near as relevant since the McNabb days.

There is a middle ground to it ... but why should folks care about the championship in a sport that is of no interest to them? As for me I think it's great they won an NCAA men's soccer title and it's good for the school but it isn't near the windfall of what a good football team could do for the universities perception and that isn't even up for debate. That, in the end if I had to put my finger on it would be where the frustration lies.

Totally agree but that leads me to this question ... if you don't care about whether or not a team wins a natty in soccer because football is where your passion lies, garners the most revenue for an AD and is hands down the most watched sport and typically forms the perspective a casual fan would have of your university why would you not emphasize football and not truly care about soccer? As a society we are so quick to jump on a take, that we form a basis by which we see it and expect folks to have that same perspective.

Obviously as a coach and as someone connected to an athletic department your view will be different. Still doesn't escape that fact that a.) that 1% probably isn't as far fetched just based solely on attendance numbers and b.) success by any team in an AD can contribute to developing a positive image around a school's athletic department. In the end maybe he isn't devaluing the success of the team but more frustrated by the fact that football's performance has not been anywhere near as relevant since the McNabb days.

There is a middle ground to it ... but why should folks care about the championship in a sport that is of no interest to them? As for me I think it's great they won an NCAA men's soccer title and it's good for the school but it isn't near the windfall of what a good football team could do for the universities perception and that isn't even up for debate. That, in the end if I had to put my finger on it would be where the frustration lies.
Im still not convinced that 99% of people in this country dont care about Soccer or Lacrosse. Lacrosse maybe, but Soccer? Its an extreme take out of frustration with the football team. imo

Last edited:
I could ask 100 people who won the championship in college soccer and I’m not sure anyone would get the answer correct.
Of course you would get some people in Syracuse to get it correct but not around the country as a whole.Lacrosse would be the same thing.
I was thinking who won the NC in fball and honestly I dont recall that either.,

Although if someone told me I would remember the game where as soccer few would have watched it or knew it happened

Im still not convinced that 99% of people in this country dont care about Soccer or Lacrosse. Lacrosse maybe, but Soccer? Its an extreme take out of frustration with the football team. imo
Soccer played at a high level is fascinating. Have liked the sport since 1966 when stationed in England when they won the World Cup.
People who think football and baseball have great crowds.
It doesn't come close to being in a crowd at a world cup game.
A very demanding game especially when played at a high level.

I think it's fair to state that more than 1% care about soccer as a sport in general .. however when you narrow that down to collegiate men's soccer then I think 1% is probably closer to the truth. Only 4000 folks attended the title game so the draw is minimal.

But as a sport I 100% agree more than 3-4 million people care about the sport, follow Euro and FIFA but from an NCAA following I think 1% isn't as big a reach as it seems. LAX is also picking up but compared to other sports it has a less mature fanbase in terms of size and even geographical dispersion ... i.e. it's still relatively concentrated to east of the Mississippi .. it is gaining a lot of traction where I live in Florida and where I was living in the Atlanta metro but still has yet to achieve the national adoption to move the needle.

I think it's fair to state that more than 1% care about soccer as a sport in general .. however when you narrow that down to collegiate men's soccer then I think 1% is probably closer to the truth. Only 4000 folks attended the title game so the draw is minimal.

But as a sport I 100% agree more than 3-4 million people care about the sport, follow Euro and FIFA but from an NCAA following I think 1% isn't as big a reach as it seems. LAX is also picking up but compared to other sports it has a less mature fanbase in terms of size and even geographical dispersion ... i.e. it's still relatively concentrated to east of the Mississippi .. it is gaining a lot of traction where I live in Florida and where I was living in the Atlanta metro but still has yet to achieve the national adoption to move the needle.
Please show me that 99% of Americans dont care about soccer. Then tell me how all this data you are collecting relates to Cuse football.

Please show me that 99% of Americans dont care about soccer. Then tell me how all this data you are collecting relates to Cuse football.
No one ever said 99% of Americans don’t care about soccer Money.

What was saiid was that 99% of Americans don’t care about men’s college soccer or women’s college lacrosse.

You are making up shyte for the sack of arguing.

No one ever said 99% of Americans don’t care about soccer Money.

What was saiid was that 99% of Americans don’t care about men’s college soccer or women’s college lacrosse.

You are making up shyte for the sack of arguing.
I was referrring to mens soccer. Why are you so mad at them for winning a chip?

Silly...how many MLB or NFL fans have never been to a single game...its a lot...

Dude I said more than 1% care about the sport ... I said 1% care about collegiate soccer. Re-read what I wrote.

Silly...how many MLB or NFL fans have never been to a single game...its a lot...
When your attendance for a championship game is 4K and have enough sense to extrapolate you'll come to a different conclusion. A single NFL game will get more asses in the seats than a collegiate soccer program will get in 20+ games ... seriously let's get real here.

When your attendance for a championship game is 4K and have enough sense to extrapolate you'll come to a different conclusion. A single NFL game will get more asses in the seats than a collegiate soccer program will get in 20+ games ... seriously let's get real here.
You trying to correlate who likes a sport because of how many attend a college game...isnt being serious. Too many other factors that may keep people from attending

Dude I said more than 1% care about the sport ... I said 1% care about collegiate soccer. Re-read what I wrote.
You responded to me. I am referring to the comment" 99% of Americans don't care about mens soccer" Where's the data that shows that?

You trying to correlate who likes a sport because of how many attend a college game...isnt being serious. Too many other factors that may keep people from attending

And how many games are televised nationally? Again if you can't even sellout a soccer stadium in Syracuse that boasts a capacity of 1500 and you expect me to believe there are all these phantom fans out there that don't go ... can't watch a majority of the games on TV but are invested in SU soccer? Even LAX plays in the Dome to support several thousand for a LAX game ... but I'm going to believe there is all this support for Syracuse collegiate soccer or collegiate soccer in general? Ok ...

I am referring to the comment" 99% of Americans don't care about mens soccer" Where's the data that shows that?
You replied to my post ... stating and I quote:

But as a sport I 100% agree more than 3-4 million people care about the sport, follow Euro and FIFA but from an NCAA following I think 1% isn't as big a reach as it seems.

We are talking college men's soccer .. average attendance to a collegiate men's soccer game ... is around 2,500 ... go to an MLS game in Atlanta for comparison, they get 10s of thousands to some of those games. So to re-iterate yes there is a better than 1% following in this country for the sport of soccer ... however the following for men's collegiate soccer probably isn't that far off from the 1% he mentioned. You do know that both those statements can be true right?
"

Yeah because those other sports actually make it to a national broadcast each week so people don't have to go ... I'll be sure to set my tv to record the one Syracuse Men's soccer game that gets nationally televised ... good grief.

You replied to my post ... stating and I quote:

But as a sport I 100% agree more than 3-4 million people care about the sport, follow Euro and FIFA but from an NCAA following I think 1% isn't as big a reach as it seems.

We are talking college men's soccer .. average attendance to a collegiate men's soccer game ... is around 2,500 ... go to an MLS game in Atlanta for comparison, they get 10s of thousands to some of those games. So to re-iterate yes there is a better than 1% following in this country for the sport of soccer ... however the following for men's collegiate soccer probably isn't that far off from the 1% he mentioned. You do know that both those statements can be true right?
"
Im not talking about average attendance, I want to know how do you figure 99% of Americans "dont care about mens soccer. I was discussing that when you chimed in.

Last edited:
On top of that, how do you define "caring"? I care about the Patriots more than any team. Ive only been to a game in Foxborough once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom