North Carolina Game Thread... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Game Thread...

I think he was confused, as I noted to him at the time, Rehfuss replacing Lane would make no sense. I thought the second was fairly active today especially in the first half. They need more of a dodging threat though. I would flip Carlin and O'reilly and let him run around for a while and alley dodge. Lane had a nice shot on the move in the first, need him to remain agressive and continue to dodge and be a playmaker on that second line. Wouldnt mind seeing Dearth and O'Reilly rotating in on the second line with those guys to create a mixed second line. Third line had a few runs but I don't think Romano is ready for primetime yet, he looks way over his head. Will be interesting to see if Westin and Forkin come back for 5th years (assuming no med red-shirt for Forkin) could be a totally reveamped second mid line next year. I assume Bomberry will be moved back to middie giving you two starters in Bomberry and Trimbo with the third spot wide open. Lucas Quinn could be a dark horse candidate there.
I have been screaming for Dearth to run 2nd line mid all year. I don't understand why he was ever bumped down to third. He created multiple scoring chances, albeit a few crease violations (though certainly the type of aggressive mistake you can live with from a Frosh), & made many great off-ball cuts. To me, Carlin is basically a poor man's Dearth, similar size but less skilled both dodging & off-ball. Riley O'Sullivan has shown me a lot. Super quick & slippery dodger from up-top. Romano to a lesser extent but he's also shown speed & ripped a decent shot yesterday. As much as the all-Frosh 3rd line intrigues me, I'd switch Dearth & Carlin while also giving O'Sullivan run on 2nd, as you said. Lots of moving parts/potential transfer additions/position changes but I could see an all 5th year 2nd mid line of Lane, Simmons, & Weston next year. Only way I see Bomberry moving back to midfield is if Thorpe or Voigt can fill that finisher role, both certainly possible. I think Thorpe was poised to this year before the injury.

I understand Rehfuss is an attackman I just think he is too talented to be only a backup attackman.

Talented players have always shifted between middie & attack to maximize the talent on the field. (Mariano, Marasco, etc)

Lane plays tentatively in 6v6 and man up. He doesn't have the ability to impose his will in either scenario. Rehfuss comes in for that momentum swinging stretch in the fourth and scores or assists on 3 consecutive goals.

Rehfuss has the size & speed to be a threat anywhere on offense. If he'd get additional opportunity running a few middie shifts then so be it. Just get the kid out there because he's lethal against a shorty.
I understand what you are suggesting and agree that he provides a nice spark.

The question I'm asking is looking at it from a coaching perspective. Why demote Lane when is being covered by the LSM for another player that would draw the same match up? Wouldn't the first suggestion be to replace one of the players drawing the short stick d-mid? This way you are now putting pressure on the opposing coach to make the decision to pole Lane or Rehfuss?

The next question is, if other teams follow the UNC defensive playbook and double pole Mariano & Salcido and lock a shorty on the crease, how quickly do you swap Rehfuss and Bomberry (who hasn't shown the ability to dodge)

I have posted about this kid before but the bench assistant/water tecnician for Cuse really gets after it after a close win, goes ape most of the time like he won the game himself, he's Pushing himself to legendary status right now! Give the kid the 22!

Is swear Im going to do a compilation video of his cellys after games!

Anyone know who he is! I'm getting on the research train! The kids going to be famous!

Orange shirt below:

That dude has been going HAM all year. Love it

There is just so much going on in these slow-mo celebrations. Solomon jumping into Swigart's arms just as the chorus picks up at :35 sec mark is pure comedic gold.

Also, #19 Wisnauskas & #38 Lipka must've read my comment about their bromance in the Duke OT celebration video. Or maybe there's trouble in paradise :p who knows but they do find each other at the very end once again only this time, Logan offers a mere handshake. Maybe he was upset that he wasn't sought out 1st lol One thing is clear...this team is really close & loves being around one another on & off the field.

CuseNation took over Fetzer today. There were times where the Orange were twice as loud as the Heels. View attachment 95399

Orange Nation in full force...and we get to do this all over again in two weeks at Duke in the Acc Championships. We are SU!
IMG_0890.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom