North Carolina Game... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Game...

He should resign the March hire was not an upgrade Rogers defense is beyond bad if he stays both March and Rogers should go bring in Galloway as defensive coordinator with a contract that he becomes head coach in 2025 and hire Ryan Powell as the third assistant
Only thing that fixes this is a coaching change, a new approach and 3-4 consecutive top 5 recruiting classes.

Simmons pretty much said it on Carc’s podcast that he has watched many great coaches stay longer then they should and the game passes them and no one remembers them for anything but losing

Rogers is a great man but SU hasn’t had a great defense since 201
I don't know about the last part but it's hard to argue that a change isn't needed at this point. Even the most ardent Desko supporter has to realize time is pretty much up.
I watch some of our games and it’s clear we’re losing ground in recruiting. Some of our best players wouldn’t start on some of the top 5 programs. Syracuse, Hopkins, Princeton and several others used to be the standard bearers for lacrosse. There’s so many more options now, particularly cheaper options.

Agreed on tuition. at 76 grand a year and only 12.5 scholarships they have effectively put up a massive road block for recruiting

Agreed on tuition. at 76 grand a year and only 12.5 scholarships they have effectively put up a massive road block for recruiting

vs 25K a year at Albany (for an in-state NY student).

Desko was asked about injuries in the presser:

"We'll see with Aviles. We'll know this week about DiPietro if he can get out there or not."

Maybe it's not season ending after all? Unless it's a 3 week injury. :(

Simmons pretty much said it on Carc’s podcast that he has watched many great coaches stay longer then they should and the game passes them and no one remembers them for anything but losing

What exactly does that mean? I hear the phrase a lot but are these games so complicated that older coaches literally don't know how to create game-winning strategies any more?

Wildhack is more clued in on lax then you think

What makes this interesting is that one would think that Simmons would be a catalyst towards driving a (tough, emotional) change seeing the program he/his family built is faltering. Desko is not Boeheim in this scenario.

What exactly does that mean? I hear the phrase a lot but are these games so complicated that older coaches literally don't know how to create game-winning strategies any more?
I believe it means coaches get stuck in their ways and not keeping up with the changing times, whether it's a new playbook, new training techniques, new approach to recruiting, fishing for recruits in the same old depleted ponds, or whatever.

Who thinks Desko is out if we don’t make the tourney ? A year ago many were saying he was out if we don’t go deep in the tourney ..now we are talking about IF we make it ..

And if he goes, who replaces ?

Next likely best shot for a Natty is 2023/24 assuming all who committed are coming ...I think they come if Spallina comes because it’s a championship package ..but that’s 2-3 years from now .. SUrely Desko can’t hold on that much longer unless we are close ...can he ? He will kick and scream to hang on because that 2022 class is a serious contender ..

Who thinks Desko is out if we don’t make the tourney ? A year ago many were saying he was out if we don’t go deep in the tourney ..now we are talking about IF we make it ..

And if he goes, who replaces ?

Next likely best shot for a Natty is 2023/24 assuming all who committed are coming ...I think they come if Spallina comes because it’s a championship package ..but that’s 2-3 years from now .. SUrely Desko can’t hold on that much longer unless we are close ...can he ? He will kick and scream to hang on because that 2022 class is a serious contender ..

Is Desko going to get fired this year? Probably not.

But two straight losing seasons is an ugly look.

And when schools make wholesale coaching changes, recruits tend to flip. Which means if Joe Spallina isn't the next coach, we better make sure Joey likes the guy we do hire.

Is Desko going to get fired this year? Probably not.

But two straight losing seasons is an ugly look.

And when schools make wholesale coaching changes, recruits tend to flip. Which means if Joe Spallina isn't the next coach, we better make sure Joey likes the guy we do hire.

Hop fired Petro and I don’t think they lost any recruits. Also, not firing Desko to hold on to recruits is something I’d never thought I’d read, but I have the same concerns!

looks like overreaction time. desko was acc coach of the year from '15 to '18. you finished the abbreviated '20 season #1. you have recruits coming in. the acc this year is a bear. desko & co. are not going anywhere.

Hop fired Petro and I don’t think they lost any recruits. Also, not firing Desko to hold on to recruits is something I’d never thought I’d read, but I have the same concerns!

Hopkins lost a lot of 21 kids after Petro was fired.

Firing Desko is the nuclear option you will not only lose top recruits but you will lose current talent on the team to the transfer portal. I don’t know of any available coach who could step in and right the ship. Desko is a legend and will go down as one of the best ever. Making a change now is a long term move in the short term I could see this program actually regressing further replacing him will be like trying to recruit the next Gary Gait or Mike Powell that is why I think it’s better if he stays and his replacement is hired as his assistant. I do not think Rogers or March are the answers

Do a Nick Saban and bring in Petro to coach the defense for a year or two.

Hopefully they keep Spallina with or without Desko
Hopefully they beat UVA and ND and this entire post goes down as a post loss over reaction but this team hasn’t responded well to pressure

looks like overreaction time. desko was acc coach of the year from '15 to '18. you finished the abbreviated '20 season #1. you have recruits coming in. the acc this year is a bear. desko & co. are not going anywhere.

Desko needs to go. He had a gear career, but his time has passed.

Hopkins lost a lot of 21 kids after Petro was fired.

Do you remember who? I know they lost a lot of kids during his tenure but don’t remember them losing kids when he left. Apologies if I am wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom