North Carolina Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

Talked to a few defensive players after the game and they all agreed that they had a good plan coming into the game but for some reason the players on the field did not follow that plan. Slides came when they weren’t needed and didn’t come when they were needed. Apparently Petro was verbally asking what they are doing because it wasn’t what they were coached to do.

Talked to a few defensive players after the game and they all agreed that they had a good plan coming into the game but for some reason the players on the field did not follow that plan. Slides came when they weren’t needed and didn’t come when they were needed. Apparently Petro was verbally asking what they are doing because it wasn’t what they were coached to do.

Is the scheme too complicated, or did we just have a bad day?

UNC gets on a run and we tighten up and panic.

UNC was bigger stronger faster and more talented today. Surprised SU came within six. I wish this freshman class had come one year earlier. They might have done well with some very good offensive upper classmen like Curry and Dordevic. If the next two classes are not equal to the rest of the ACC, SU will suffer. Just by comparison look at the top tier teams. For example Duke. They have skilled experienced players through the four classes. Take last year's Maryland champs. Same deal.

Is the scheme too complicated, or did we just have a bad day?

UNC gets on a run and we tighten up and panic.

Didn’t sound like it was complicated. They were really dumbfounded but what they were watching during the game. Said they looked great the last 2 practices running the scheme.

Gait has blamed last years poor defensive performance on players who were essentially stuck in their ways and couldn’t adjust to their new directives from new coaches.

It sounded like he was throwing players under the bus, but during a late season game (I forget which) with the cameras in the defensive huddle, you can hear Petro tell them not to slide. They come out and what do you know not a few seconds into the possession someone slides and they give up an easy goal. It’s really frustrating if the same thing is happening again this season.

I feel like at some point the only thing to do is bench guys who aren’t listening. Dwan is supposed to be the guy who was built in a lab to play Petros defense. It feels like he needs to be out there sooner rather than later.

One positive was that the O had a good game. First really quality game from Simmons after having him come out of the box. I don’t mind the move to get another dodging threat on the attack line. Overall solid game from Kirst too aside from a couple questionable choices. He is a dodging threat with his size and looking quicker than some may have thought early in the season.

Spallina played really well throughout. Liked when he confidently took their top ssdm to the rack on the switch. The balance and body control is really impressive on that replay. He will only get better. Good ball movement in 6 on 6 as well as man up. Spallina getting more apples is a good sign. Cook with some great plays showing why he is out there. Impatient shooting and ill advised choices at times, but I think something is brewing on that end of the field.

Gait has blamed last years poor defensive performance on players who were essentially stuck in their ways and couldn’t adjust to their new directives from new coaches.

It sounded like he was throwing players under the bus, but during a late season game (I forget which) with the cameras in the defensive huddle, you can hear Petro tell them not to slide. They come out and what do you know not a few seconds into the possession someone slides and they give up an easy goal. It’s really frustrating if the same thing is happening again this season.

I feel like at some point the only thing to do is bench guys who aren’t listening. Dwan is supposed to be the guy who was built in a lab to play Petros defense. It feels like he needs to be out there sooner rather than later.
I'm a bit disappointed in some of the media coverage of the game and also some of the comments on the threads here. This is a young team with obvious inexperience on D, fogo and even offense. The Gait/Petro combo is an experiment that has yet to get a full evaluation until we see what they can do with this roster over the course of the season. I was very realistic going into this tough stretch - I thought we could only win 1 over Hopkins at most.

I believe Will Mark is a good goalie and I was surprised to see him get singled out for criticism after making 17 saves and facing 49 total shots and 36 SOG. As I have said elsewhere on here since the season started, Mark will be tested by MD, UNC, Duke and Hopkins. His 70% plus saves thru the first 3 games was great but arguably not that relevant given the opposition. He is now facing his first adversity at Cuse and we will see how he handles it. In fairness to him, he is playing behind a D that has struggled for 3 years back to 2021. Also, teams can now review current film on Mark and test for weaknesses. I have to agree with earlier comments that UNC's offense is not special on paper and a pale imitation of Chris Gray and Co. from 2021. If we play that way against Duke, UVA and Notre Dame, look out!

I share everyone's concerns about the D - we all thought that we hit bottom last year and should be on the way up. While we haven't had solid D since Mellen and Bomberry, we still have some decent talent and it appears to be squandered by Petro and Rogers before him. I'm willing to be patient and see how the season goes - a lot of very tough games ahead with ACC etc and may be a big learning curve which doesn't pay off until next year. The lack of execution compared to the game plan does not sound good - hopefully just youth and nerves but could be an indicator that Petro isn't ultimately the guy for this program.

Offense is a real bright spot IMO. This where our talent relative to D1 teams is pretty good and should only get better. With our fogo consistently below 50% and fewer offensive possessions, the offense has been efficient and making the scores more flattering than the level of play. EMO has been great as it should be with the skills of Hiltz, Spallina etc. This should a dominant group next year.

My expectations for fogo were very low given lack of experience, MAAC background. He has battled against some of the best and will get more against Duke. Realistically, it is close to impossible to beat top 20 teams with a fogo group which is a work in progress at best.

I think Notre Dame could be the most revealing test later this season. They have a legitimately great team and their offense is outstanding. Just ask the Georgetown coach yesterday.

We have a long way to go but I want to give the coaches and players a fair chance to show what they've got.

I've already lost interest in this season, Hopefully sometime in the next decade we'll be good. (Im a sore loser. So all this losing makes me lose interest ). Gait and Petrol are not the answer and if we only have 4-5 wins this season they both need to be fired. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me.

I like to see pedro maby put dwan down low and send kol or clary(since played lsm bit) to go along with olexo(who doesn’t seem to be his maniac self lately). Cacameo is solid slides when not needed at times but solid for most part. Clary is solid down low also but need another fast gb guy in middle with olexo least till sadeger (h/e spell it) gets experience. Also loved tape on chuck other freshman d poll (not attempting to spell last name without looking) a shot. If can’t win faceoffs at high consistency be playing a lot of d causing tiredness so may need to switch in some young talent just to give starters breather.

Been saying it a lot lately to switch in zone d randomly just throw off timing or Oppents O giving diff look. We def need bomberry type who was great at knocking passes down or catching them. Also think need to put in more effective ride to cause turnovers and extra possessions. With faceoff and wings gonna struggle need to get ball in other ways. A lot of teams do ten man ride not sure how we will look at pulling it off but def need to make it a lot harder for teams to clear on us or least congest middle of field.

Mark is very good goalie might of had bad day n defense wasn’t much help. But also think he gives up a lot of rebounds. Also feel we don’t try to get ball out quick on saves or turnovers kinda just go slowly into clearing. Think with teams like unc who love ten man ride sometimes need get ball out and fast before they set it up. Young time overall but def potential no way am i giving up on this season or team. Like someone said just need to be patient and hopefully they put it together and start winning these rank opponent games. Def need to win least one of these next two would say winning both would be huge even just for teams confidence.

Wasn’t huge fan of kirst moving down wasn’t terrible and they did change it up having him come out box at times. But if gonna put anyone down at attack honestly would say thompson or birt. Also like to see some more inverts from birt and thompson just the team overall. Joey has settled in hasn’t tried be mr hero as first game and has fed ball nicely. Would like to see him maby push his man little more cause he is causing slides, so to look for that dump off. Whole team needs to Hustle and get gbs for 60mins.

I'm a bit disappointed in some of the media coverage of the game and also some of the comments on the threads here. This is a young team with obvious inexperience on D, fogo and even offense. The Gait/Petro combo is an experiment that has yet to get a full evaluation until we see what they can do with this roster over the course of the season. I was very realistic going into this tough stretch - I thought we could only win 1 over Hopkins at most.
Fair enough. I think that the posts during the game thread should be taken with a grain of salt. We all get a bit emotional during the game.

Will Mark had a shaky day - 17 saves aside. You always want a goalie to make the saves he should and a few he shouldn't. Mark had a few he'd like back. The UNC goalie made a bunch he shouldn't and it was sort of the difference. But goaltending is never the reason why a team wins or loses. Not imo.

I'm still super bullish on this team this year.

Most disappointing thing to me is the GBs. Every one you lose is a possession and a lost opportunity to score a goal. We're soft here, I literally saw some guys pull up on a few and it's a problem. We don't seem to have any grinders on the GBs. That needs to change. If you're not a tough GB team you can't win.

Will Mark had a shaky day - 17 saves aside. You always want a goalie to make the saves he should and a few he shouldn't. Mark had a few he'd like back. The UNC goalie made a bunch he shouldn't and it was sort of the difference. But goaltending is never the reason why a team wins or loses. Not imo.

I'm still super bullish on this team this year.

Most disappointing thing to me is the GBs. Every one you lose is a possession and a lost opportunity to score a goal. We're soft here, I literally saw some guys pull up on a few and it's a problem. We don't seem to have any grinders on the GBs. That needs to change. If you're not a tough GB team you can't win.
I agree with your points about the goalies and GBs. Goalies can steal a game here and there but not typically game-changers over the season. Mark is good - I just hope he can handle the barrage of shots from the ACC and still not get rattled. Easier said than done.

GBs have been a problem for a few years now and I don't know why.

I can't say I'm super bullish yet but I do like the offense and their potential. The silver lining for me is that they scored double digit goals against MD and UNC even though they were on the short end of possessions.

Didn’t sound like it was complicated. They were really dumbfounded but what they were watching during the game. Said they looked great the last 2 practices running the scheme.
Defensive problems going back to 2021 have been very frustrating. Are coaching egos the problem? I thought coaches liked to review film - at least that's what they claim they are doing in the office for so many hours :cool:. Wouldn't you think that the coaches would be smart, park their egos and replicate what consistently great defenses do and have done for years - Notre Dame, Loyola, MD, Army. They appear to have systems that stand the test of time and new players can learn quickly.

I understand we have a defensive talent/experience deficit currently but it does not explain the confusion and poor coverages that Cuse D demonstrates. UNC was able to grip it and rip it because they had the room to do it.

I recognize that ND, Duke, MD, UVA etc. have benefited from great recruiting classes for several years which is linked to academics. But - other teams like Loyola, Delaware, Army etc. never look as bad as we do and they do not have top recruits and arguably have less talent than Cuse.

The part I bolded, all day.

You blow a slide once, your goalie gets shell'd, you say "my bad" and don't screw that up the next time the attack pulls the same move (and a reasonably well coached offense will absolutely keep doing it until it no longer gets an open shot).

You have the same player whiffing on slide timing then it's personnel (bench him).

You have different players in the same position group (i.e. Close D) whiffing on same slide timing when the ball's in the same location (e.g. opponent dodging from X, or GLE) then it's scheme - simplify it because nobody understands it.

I know college ball is more complex then those two scenarios but it really shouldn't be so bloody difficult to diagnose in year 2.

And as heralded as Figueiras is, the D shouldn't fall to poo because a freshman stud was lost to injury for the season.

I was pleased with the defensive performance in the first 3 games but, as others have said, it's seemed to revert to last year's mistakes against tougher opponents (UMD, UNC).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom