North Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina

Chesney has been great at every spot he’s been. He will be moving up in short order again. Florida should bring him in tbh. Guy is another urban Meyer minus the chicanery.

I’m happier w Fran because we needed to give the recruiting an enema. I didn’t realize it at the time but this is the way

Chesney has been great at every spot he’s been. He will be moving up in short order again. Florida should bring him in tbh. Guy is another urban Meyer minus the chicanery.

I’m happier w Fran because we needed to give the recruiting an enema. I didn’t realize it at the time but this is the way
I would qualify my comment about Chesney recruiting here as in right now - if Chesney keeps moving up on a slow arc he’ll start to build coaching talent around him (his guys) that can recruit at this level.

Him right out of the gate with a largely FCS coaching staff would have been a disaster.

I would qualify my comment about Chesney recruiting here as in right now - if Chesney keeps moving up on a slow arc he’ll start to build coaching talent around him (his guys) that can recruit at this level.

Him right out of the gate with a largely FCS coaching staff would have been a disaster.
The future is in players like Willis, James, McDaniel and others who should be big contributors in year 2, along with more portal entries.

The future is in players like Willis, James, McDaniel and others who should be big contributors in year 2, along with more portal entries.
It is. And Chesney was never, ever landing those guys in year 0 let alone the portal adds.

This is similar to when Babers took over. He inherited some pieces, most notably Dungey, but the roster as a whole needed a lot of work and balancing. He never really got there. Fran has a massive head start in that respect and the right guys to keep it moving in future years. We’ll be fine.

Silly post. Wildhack didn’t hire a defensive coach, he hired a recruiter to run the program. I think he got OC right, and that’s what’s important. DC we’ll see.

Long term I see a lot of reasons to have optimism. There has been a lot more good than bad so far, and nothing to do with press conferences and behind the scenes tv shows and uniform choices.

Snap judgments off of a two pt loss are worthless.
He actually did hire a defensive coach though.

I think brown blew it bad yesterday but so have a million guys here so if he recruits, it's an improvement

Teams didn't want to hire guys too much like the guy they just fired

Mack Brown is awful every G5 coach can ding him for a marquee win. JMU was undefeated last year.

I don’t think we lose again this season until Miami/ACC CG so if Fran goes to Florida Chesney isn’t a bad option along with Mullen.
You're acting like UNLV and Cal are going to be cake walks and both of those teams aren't too bad. Plus BC has been playing decent too and you never know which Pitt team will show up.

JMU scored thirteen against Gardner Webb and played Charlotte, who is a dumpster fire.

They brought it today, and game planned well. But at the same time UNC was a complete fail on defense today.

It is. And Chesney was never, ever landing those guys in year 0 let alone the portal adds.

This is similar to when Babers took over. He inherited some pieces, most notably Dungey, but the roster as a whole needed a lot of work and balancing. He never really got there. Fran has a massive head start in that respect and the right guys to keep it moving in future years. We’ll be fine.
And remember these players were recruited for the system they want to use for offense and defense.
Some of the current players don't fit what Fran wants to do.
So it's going to take replacing pretty much all the players to get where Fran wants to be.

It wasn't enough to fire berbers, we had to reject everything about him. An offensive guy with head coach experience from a smaller school? That's brrbers! No, defensive guy with no head coach experience from a big school.
fantasy-football.gif
Fran Brown was brought in because it was presumed that he had a unique ability to produce the "raw materials" needed to compete at a high level.

It wasn't about scheme. It wasn't about culture. It wasn't about PR. It was a blatant, unabashed - and highly focused - strategy of accumulating big time talent.

The rest was an after thought.

And so far, I'm on board. I was disappointed in the loss - the mistakes and the 4th and 9 failure hurt - but I liked the effort, the intensity and the atmosphere in the Dome. It was a tough loss, but a good game.

I'm ready to move on to Holy Cross.

He actually did hire a defensive coach though.

I think brown blew it bad yesterday but so have a million guys here so if he recruits, it's an improvement

Teams didn't want to hire guys too much like the guy they just fired
Just curious, and not looking to start anything, but who was your choice for our new head coach?

Fran Brown was brought in because it was presumed that he had a unique ability to produce the "raw materials" needed to compete at a high level.

It wasn't about scheme. It wasn't about culture. It wasn't about PR. It was a blatant, unabashed - and highly focused - strategy of accumulating big time talent.

The rest was an after thought.

And so far, I'm on board. I was disappointed in the loss - the mistakes and the 4th and 9 failure hurt - but I liked the effort, the intensity and the atmosphere in the Dome. It was a tough loss, but a good game.

I'm ready to move on to Holy Cross.
I agree about everything else being an afterthought. But that's how you end up with everyone knowing what was going to happen just from looking at a formation. They turned us all into Brady and Romo.

Just curious, and not looking to start anything, but who was your choice for our new head coach?
I preferred Chesney but anyone who could bring a QB was fine with me.

I hope Brown can find another QB, McCord is here too early all these coaches are too green to really capitalize out of the gate

I preferred Chesney but anyone who could bring a QB was fine with me.

I hope Brown can find another QB, McCord is here too early all these coaches are too green to really capitalize out of the gate
Ironically w Chesney we would have Sluka who is having a season w UNLV. It wouldn’t be McCord but my guess is we would be 2-1 right now as well

I think we need the recruiting machine vs the better coach at this moment. Wildhack chose right . In 5 years it may be a diff choice but we didn’t have 5 years

Ironically w Chesney we would have Sluka who is having a season w UNLV. It wouldn’t be McCord but my guess is we would be 2-1 right now as well

I think we need the recruiting machine vs the better coach at this moment. Wildhack chose right . In 5 years it may be a diff choice but we didn’t have 5 years
Sluka can‘t throw the ball at all. He can run, but that’s about it.

Sluka can‘t throw the ball at all. He can run, but that’s about it.
So then we should beat UNLV 40-3. What’s the concern then?

Sluka is the holy roller. He’s got a bit of Snake stabler in him. Just a guy who wills it to victory

I would argue Dino inherited more pieces than Fran did. Not just ED but also,
Erv Phillips, Frederick's, Neal, Custis, Harris, Jackson, Riley, Slayton, Robinson, Szmyt, Cooney not to mention a better oline. I believe Cisco and Iffy might have been recruited by Shafer as well.

That team had a record setting QB and slot receiver who are still high up in the all-time record books.

Coaching Matters - Bob Chesney, Bill O'Brien , Curt Cignetti...
Absolutely.

I have always disliked and never trusted Mack Brown. Dick Crum;s last team at UNC was 5-6, with 3 of the losses to Top 10 teams. Crum need to be replaced or the program would drop, but it wa far from in bad shape. Some tweaks with the staff and a couple additions to then starting line up on each side off the ball, and Crum's last team against a tough schedule could have been 8-3 or maybe 9-2.

Mack Brown arrived and turned that team into 1-10, and then another 1-10. That was bad enough but Mack began lying immediately to cover his failures. He said that Crum left no talent at all, and that many of the players he had left refused to be coached by the new staff. All crap. Slick tongue Mack just wanted time to cover up for his gross mismanagement. And he wanted all blame to to go elsewhere.

Those are the 2 worst teams in UNC history. And Mack Brown coached them.

Crum had 2 achievements that Mack, there longest tenured UNC coach, will never match: Crum won an ACC Championship and Crum won 4 consecutive bowls against Name Brand programs that had won at least 1 National Championship.

I think Mack's weepy talk to the lawyers after the game was a con man move to get the players to want to stand top to demand he stay. I want Mack gone ASAP.

Sluka has Passed for 318 yards. In 3 games!

And people complained about Shrader lol.

Chesney and Sluka would have been high water mark Dino’s last season and good luck recruiting to CNY with an offense that looks like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom