Northeast Subtext | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Northeast Subtext

Did you go apoplectic when Coach Brown announced that he plans to "run the ball"?
No, it is what I expected to hear from a defensive coach at a factory

I don't go aploppolyptic over any of this stuff, I am not expecting great things from the offense but hopefully the recruiting is so good that it doesn't matter

You can have a great offense without throwing it 40 times a game. There's nothing more dominant than a running game behind an OLine that pushes the line of scrimmage each play.

No, it is what I expected to hear from a defensive coach at a factory

I don't go aploppolyptic over any of this stuff, I am not expecting great things from the offense but hopefully the recruiting is so good that it doesn't matter
It's best to punish people at the line of scrimmage, then when the safties creep up throw the ball deep.
A good mix of 45 run and throw 30 should provide an exciting offense.

You can have a great offense without throwing it 40 times a game. There's nothing more dominant than a running game behind an OLine that pushes the line of scrimmage each play.

You need balance. You aren't beating major college programs in 2024 just running.

It's best to punish people at the line of scrimmage, then when the safties creep up throw the ball deep.
A good mix of 45 run and throw 30 should provide an exciting offense.

That ratio is fine, as long as your offense is designed in such a way that, IF the game dictates it, you can to the opposite. If you physically CANNOT go pass heavy even when the run isnt working and you are trailing, you've screwed up when team building

Serious question. Why is there a theory that you cant throw the ball in the northeast? We play in a climate controlled dome? why must northeastern football be played 3 yards at a time?

Most of the western half of PA is very midwestern. Penn State ending up in the Big Ten was a good fit - it’s not a northeastern school.

Going back to the mid-90s, I worked occasionally near Newark, NJ. A few times i wore a Syracuse shirt to work and would end up talking with guys about college football. Back then Rutgers was a complete non-entity, but guys would argue if they’d rather have their kid play at Penn State or Syracuse. Part of the reason some favored Syracuse was State College is in the middle of nowhere and wasn’t a cultural fit. It’s not that long ago we could and did win head to head battles with PSU with decent frequency.

Hiring a guy from Camden gives - hopefully - Syracuse a boost in NJ. We should do much better there than we have in recruiting; if Syracuse is a legit option I think a lot of NJ kids will be attracted to the Orange over SEC/Big 10 schools.
I get what you’re saying but there’s more black people in the south than upstate NY. I think it’s more about being within driving distance for family to see games

Midwesterners generally don't hunt and eat raccoons and squirrels... that's a Southern Appalachia thing... and also a Pennsyltucky thing, because Pennsyltucky is the Northern fringe of Southern Appalachia... Happy Valley gets a lighter green because a lot of students don't hunt and eat raccoons and squirrels either, is my guess...

Visual Aid:
pennsyltucky.jpg

I lived in pa for a whole 6 months, I can attest pennsyltucky is a real thing. I thought I knew rural living. I didn’t know SQUAT!

if you can run the ball you can pass if you have a decent qb and WRs. If you can pass the ball its not always that you can run

Serious question. Why is there a theory that you cant throw the ball in the northeast? We play in a climate controlled dome? why must northeastern football be played 3 yards at a time?

As a tangent I found this interesting. Everyone thinks of the B12 as some pass happy conference but when you look at the Top 10 P5 programs in P5 games over the last 3 years you get...

PAC - 10 teams
ACC - 8 teams
SEC - 6 teams
B1G/B12 - 3 teams

I lived in pa for a whole 6 months, I can attest pennsyltucky is a real thing. I thought I knew rural living. I didn’t know SQUAT!
My father was born and raised right in the middle of that area. And I can attest to it being true. At least it was more than 100 years ago.

I think SU Recruiting should be focused at least half the time on NJ, Northern NJ especially. They now have amazing connections to the Non-Public Group 3 and 4 NJ High Schools that churn out top talent.

Schools like Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco, St Joes Montvale all recruit themselves throughout not only NJ, but the whole tri-state area already. Why not let them do recruiting for us and just own those 3-5 schools?

I may be biased, but just my opinion.

I think SU Recruiting should be focused at least half the time on NJ, Northern NJ especially. They now have amazing connections to the Non-Public Group 3 and 4 NJ High Schools that churn out top talent.

Schools like Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco, St Joes Montvale all recruit themselves throughout not only NJ, but the whole tri-state area already. Why not let them do recruiting for us and just own those 3-5 schools?

I may be biased, but just my opinion.

South Jersey has turned into a hotbed.

The state all around is good. Even the Shore Conference is getting more talented (Jaelyne Matthews).

South Jersey has turned into a hotbed.

The state all around is good. Even the Shore Conference is getting more talented (Jaelyne Matthews).

For sure, but we dont have the same connections on staff as we do for Northern NJ

I get what you’re saying but there’s more black people in the south than upstate NY. I think it’s more about being within driving distance for family to see games

State College and Syracuse and both 3.5 hours from Newark. While I wasn’t referring to it specifically in cultural fit, black population of Syracuse is 30% of the total; State College it’s around 3%.

State College and Syracuse and both 3.5 hours from Newark. While I wasn’t referring to it specifically in cultural fit, black population of Syracuse is 30% of the total; State College it’s around 3%.
Got it. I was replying to the SEC remark you made. Birmingham, Atlanta, Florida, etc

Now that Delaware is an FBS program that would also be a great team to schedule a series with for recruiting in the DMV.

As a tangent I found this interesting. Everyone thinks of the B12 as some pass happy conference but when you look at the Top 10 P5 programs in P5 games over the last 3 years you get...

PAC - 10 teams
ACC - 8 teams
SEC - 6 teams
B1G/B12 - 3 teams
Huh?

Huh?

In P5 vs P5 games the Top 10 passing teams from 2021-23 (30 in total) by conference. The B12's rep is pass happy and they play no D but they had only 3 teams reach the Top 10 over that span.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom