Northwestern AD Jim Phillips to be the next ACC commissioner | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern AD Jim Phillips to be the next ACC commissioner

I hope he's more careful than to move the ACC HQ into a very strong SEC city like Atlanta. Charlotte would be good, but Greensboro is just 1.5 hours from Charlotte as it is. The ACC can hold most any events in Charlotte now as it is. DC is just not into college sports. I think that the ACC would get lost in DC.
Greensboro is not the place for ACC HQ. I would prefer it in NYC but that is not happening. Nothing wrong with Atlanta or DC.

The business of the conference office gets significant media coverage where it is by the media across North Carolina and Virginia. Joe Ovies, David Teel, etc. cover it. The national media like ESPN pick up on some of it, but not all. If the office moved to a new market that doesn't care about what it is doing and thinking, then it loses that. Going to Atlanta and getting Tony Barnhart to cover the ACC would be a difficult expectation. He'd cover it about like he does now. It's possible to get a newfound interest in those markets, but the ACC HQ owns the one it's already in. That's my only point. There is no competition in college sports there to speak of. I'm looking at this relating to getting your message out. The ACC can have tournaments anywhere in the footprint it wants. That's unrelated as you say. The league just tries to cut down on collective travel expenses.

The ACC might be able to work in South Florida, but in that case the HQ would be so far away from the members to make that work.
Who wants to own Greensboro?

Who wants to own Greensboro?
It goes back to my point UNC does.
Because UNC has had the most influence in the conference.
The ACC is UNC’s conference which is why they weren’t interested in the Big Ten or ACC.

Just like Clemson and Florida State’s needs need attention. UNC’s needs need attention as well.

The day Carolina doesn’t feel the ACC is their conference they will probably eventually be open to a move.
UNC can destroy the conference which is why the HQ is in Greensboro and likely won’t go anywhere except maybe Charlotte.

I imagine an important part of HQ location is being able to attract premiere talent to work at the conference. I'm going to guess that the ACC has missed out on no small amount of talented sports business executives because they didn't want to move to Greensboro. Charlotte might help with that, and D.C. certainly would help with that.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Big East suffered from this challenge for years because they inexplicably kept HQ in Providence instead of moving it to NYC.

Tons of great Italian food in Providence.

Founded by Gavitt and then run by Tranghese, Marinatto, Aresco.

Carolina mafia had nothing on the Providence mafia.

I hope he's more careful than to move the ACC HQ into a very strong SEC city like Atlanta. Charlotte would be good, but Greensboro is just 1.5 hours from Charlotte as it is. The ACC can hold most any events in Charlotte now as it is. DC is just not into college sports. I think that the ACC would get lost in DC.
No problem moving the HQ to Charlotte. Air Travel is much better there. Nonstops to every city. Very driveable to the NC gang and Clemson. Plus no member school is located in the Metro Area.

No problem moving the HQ to Charlotte. Air Travel is much better there. Nonstops to every city. Very driveable to the NC gang and Clemson. Plus no member school is located in the Metro Area.
The closest school now to Greensboro is Wake in Winston-Salem (30 miles). Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point are a triangle about 30 miles apart on each side. UNC and Duke are over 50 miles away and NC State and the old location of Wake in Wake Forest are over 75 miles away from Greensboro. Not that I'm defending having the HQ in Greensboro. Both the tournament stop and ACC HQ should move to Charlotte IMO.

As a point of trivia, they frequently play the ACC golf championships at the country club in Greensboro where the ACC was founded.

I really don't see the reasoning here. Northwestern? Blah. He was mentored by Kevin White of Charlie Weis contract fame at Notre Dame. Double blah

It goes back to my point UNC does.
Because UNC has had the most influence in the conference.
The ACC is UNC’s conference which is why they weren’t interested in the Big Ten or ACC.

Just like Clemson and Florida State’s needs need attention. UNC’s needs need attention as well.

The day Carolina doesn’t feel the ACC is their conference they will probably eventually be open to a move.
UNC can destroy the conference which is why the HQ is in Greensboro and likely won’t go anywhere except maybe Charlotte.
Greensboro is the perfect place for the ACC headquarters. First, to alter your home base when you grow the company is to break long standing bonds and invite trouble.

Atlanta is an SEC and Pro sports town.

DC is a Pro sports town, and with Maryland in the Big Ten there is 0 reason to see DC as right for the ACC headquarters.

NYC is a Pro sports town and even less an ACC town than is DC.

If it aint broke, you are a damned fool to try to fix it.

Greensboro is the perfect place for the ACC headquarters. First, to alter your home base when you grow the company is to break long standing bonds and invite trouble.

DC is a Pro sports town, and with Maryland in the Big Ten there is 0 reason to see DC as right for the ACC headquarters.

I'm partial to DC but Charlotte probably makes more sense.

At some point you have too many kids for your house, and too much money - so buy a bigger house.

Greensboro isn't the perfect place for anything.

Lol you don't even believe this. The answer is Charlotte and hopefully with Swofford finally leaving we can move it there...

Lol you don't even believe this. The answer is Charlotte and hopefully with Swofford finally leaving we can move it there...
The Carolina Mafia does not give up easily. They should be happy that Charlotte is in NC...maybe we "F" with the Gang of 4 and move the HQs 500' over the state line into SC?

Reactions: gbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom