Northwestern AD Jim Phillips to be the next ACC commissioner | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern AD Jim Phillips to be the next ACC commissioner

There's a schism?
I think there is more of a schism between the football and basketball schools.

Miami, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Syracuse are not exactly homogenous institutions.

Listened to Jim's interview on Packer and Durham this morning, and had forgot that Kent Syverud was running the search process for the new Commissioner. Seems like a great guy, and a good fit for the SEC. Kent did a great job hiring this guy.

Miami, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Syracuse are not exactly homogenous institutions.
Except VT and FSU are ranked in hoops and having bad year(s) in football and UNC blasted Miami hanging 60+ on them.

So what's a hoops school vs basketball school at this point.

Miami loves BC and SU and has a good relationship with Pitt and VPI.

Miami’s student body population is mostly from the Northeast.

They honestly should be in the same division as Syracuse and Boston College over Florida State.

They want games in the Northeast games.

The problem with there is any with the ACC is the conference becoming less influenced by the University of North Carolina.

UNC keeps State on leash via the UNC educational system.
They respect Duke and Wake and the conference has protected them.
Philips has to mend their ego while catering to Clemson and Florida State football.

Clemson resents the perceived bias the ACC office has had towards UNC.
The conference office didn’t exactly listen to FSU/Clemson until they finally used the Big XII threat as leverage to get Louisville over UConn in 2011. To be honest the conference should be thankful FSU/Clemson did that and didn’t allow Louisville to get scooped up by the Big XII.

That is schism.
It’s UNC and NC mafia against Clemson/Florida State.

Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville aren’t the issues.

Clemson is a superpower FB program now and carrying the ACC banner so they deserve to use their leverage while they have it.

Obviously, the most important issues facing Phillips are about media contracts, sponsorships, navigating the fragile NCAA/P5 relationship, etc.

Further down the list, but something I'm hopeful he can solve, is the inane football division and scheduling set up. Get the ACC to adopt a one division, 3-5-5 model, and he'll have my unwavering support for all time.

Obviously, the most important issues facing Phillips are about media contracts, sponsorships, navigating the fragile NCAA/P5 relationship, etc.

Further down the list, but something I'm hopeful he can solve, is the inane football division and scheduling set up. Get the ACC to adopt a one division, 3-5-5 model, and he'll have my unwavering support for all time.
The 3-5-5 schedule can't be adopted until the SEC and B1G agree to change the championship game rule to allow it to happen. No divisions, no championship game, unless you're the Big XII and everyone gives you an exemption. It's to the B1G's and SEC's advantage, too, to change it, but they won't because they're still waiting for the ACC to implode so they can pick over the remnants.

The 3-5-5 schedule can't be adopted until the SEC and B1G agree to change the championship game rule to allow it to happen. No divisions, no championship game, unless you're the Big XII and everyone gives you an exemption. It's to the B1G's and SEC's advantage, too, to change it, but they won't because they're still waiting for the ACC to implode so they can pick over the remnants.
If I were the ACC, I'd make the change and dare the SEC and B1G to follow through on blocking it. Hell, I'd even litigate it. The rule is arbitrary, and I suspect a good legal team could make a case that it is actively harming the ACC's member institutions. Plus, the precedent for waiving it is already present.

Or, just make new "divisions" every year that allow for the 3-5-5. There's always a way to circumvent this nonsense rule.

Conference scheduling format is on the agenda next year, the pods system would obviously work the best just purely thinking from a student's perspective.

If I were the ACC, I'd make the change and dare the SEC and B1G to follow through on blocking it. Hell, I'd even litigate it. The rule is arbitrary, and I suspect a good legal team could make a case that it is actively harming the ACC's member institutions. Plus, the precedent for waiving it is already present.

Or, just make new "divisions" every year that allow for the 3-5-5. There's always a way to circumvent this nonsense rule.
It's not the SEC and B1G they'd have to worry about, it's the NCAA because the two teams in the championship game would be playing too many games and then would be zapped by Indianapolis. The rule is the NCAA's rule on who can have a championship game as modified by the P5. I can assure you if it was some sort of arbitrary thing set up by the B1G and SEC, the ACC would have no qualms whatsoever in ignoring it.

Constant shuffling of the divisions to get the same results as 3-5-5 would be tough, if not impossible, to do.

It's not the SEC and B1G they'd have to worry about, it's the NCAA because the two teams in the championship game would be playing too many games and then would be zapped by Indianapolis. The rule is the NCAA's rule on who can have a championship game as modified by the P5. I can assure you if it was some sort of arbitrary thing set up by the B1G and SEC, the ACC would have no qualms whatsoever in ignoring it.

Constant shuffling of the divisions to get the same results as 3-5-5 would be tough, if not impossible, to do.
You would think the SEC and B1G would want the best 2 ACC teams playing so they could knock out the higher team out of the playoffs with a loss.

It’s stupid logic.

Miami loves BC and SU and has a good relationship with Pitt and VPI.

Miami’s student body population is mostly from the Northeast.

They honestly should be in the same division as Syracuse and Boston College over Florida State.

They want games in the Northeast games.

The problem with there is any with the ACC is the conference becoming less influenced by the University of North Carolina.

UNC keeps State on leash via the UNC educational system.
They respect Duke and Wake and the conference has protected them.
Philips has to mend their ego while catering to Clemson and Florida State football.

Clemson resents the perceived bias the ACC office has had towards UNC.
The conference office didn’t exactly listen to FSU/Clemson until they finally used the Big XII threat as leverage to get Louisville over UConn in 2011. To be honest the conference should be thankful FSU/Clemson did that and didn’t allow Louisville to get scooped up by the Big XII.

That is schism.
It’s UNC and NC mafia against Clemson/Florida State.

Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville aren’t the issues.

Clemson is a superpower FB program now and carrying the ACC banner so they deserve to use their leverage while they have it.
Both Clemson and FSU wanted WVU but the typical Tobacco Road elitist thumbed their collective nose at them. Thankfully UConn was kept out...

You would think the SEC and B1G would want the best 2 ACC teams playing so they could knock out the higher team out of the playoffs with a loss.

It’s stupid logic.
You would also think that nearly every SEC West team would want 3-5-5 as well so they could limit how many times they'd have to play Bama, Auburn and LSU in the same year. Most of them would probably have Bama and Auburn in separate 5-team slates. Georgia and Tennessee would end up having to play Auburn and Bama in the same year, though, since Georgia would definitely take Auburn as one of its 3 and the Vols would probably get Bama.

I bet he will move the HG from Greensboro to Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta or even DC. Stay tuned.
I hope he's more careful than to move the ACC HQ into a very strong SEC city like Atlanta. Charlotte would be good, but Greensboro is just 1.5 hours from Charlotte as it is. The ACC can hold most any events in Charlotte now as it is. DC is just not into college sports. I think that the ACC would get lost in DC.

I hope he's more careful than to move the ACC HQ into a very strong SEC city like Atlanta. Charlotte would be good, but Greensboro is just 1.5 hours from Charlotte as it is. The ACC can hold most any events in Charlotte now as it is. DC is just not into college sports. I think that the ACC would get lost in DC.

Huh? DC has more college grads as a percentage of its population than any other city in America. Plenty of college sports fans here.

Huh? DC has more college grads as a percentage of its population than any other city in America. Plenty of college sports fans here.
That may be the case, but if the ACC goes to DC, they'd have media attention somewhere behind the Redskins, Nationals, Wizards, Capitals, Ravens, Orioles, and DC United. ACC would be talked about after those. Maryland and Georgetown are lost in DC. They get a blip here and there, but only if they are in contention for a championship. Watch NBC Sports Net Washington or MASN. They tell the story. The ACC gets stronger coverage where they are. To be in a market like DC, the ACC would need a team, and that team would need to be a winner in contention to get attention like GT has to do in Atlanta. I don't see how the ACC would get the DC media to care at all about what the conference office is doing. BTW, I know the Redskins don't use their name anymore, but until they come up with another one it will do.

That may be the case, but if the ACC goes to DC, they'd have media attention somewhere behind the Redskins, Nationals, Wizards, Capitals, Ravens, Orioles, and DC United. ACC would be talked about after those. Maryland and Georgetown are lost in DC. They get a blip here and there, but only if they are in contention for a championship. Watch NBC Sports Net Washington or MASN. They tell the story. The ACC gets stronger coverage where they are. To be in a market like DC, the ACC would need a team, and that team would need to be a winner in contention to get attention like GT has to do in Atlanta. I don't see how the ACC would get the DC media to care at all about what the conference office is doing. BTW, I know the Redskins don't use their name anymore, but until they come up with another one it will do.
"it will do"
Not for everybody.

I don't understand how the location of the headquarters impacts where championships are held and media coverage

I don't understand how the location of the headquarters impacts where championships are held and media coverage
The business of the conference office gets significant media coverage where it is by the media across North Carolina and Virginia. Joe Ovies, David Teel, etc. cover it. The national media like ESPN pick up on some of it, but not all. If the office moved to a new market that doesn't care about what it is doing and thinking, then it loses that. Going to Atlanta and getting Tony Barnhart to cover the ACC would be a difficult expectation. He'd cover it about like he does now. It's possible to get a newfound interest in those markets, but the ACC HQ owns the one it's already in. That's my only point. There is no competition in college sports there to speak of. I'm looking at this relating to getting your message out. The ACC can have tournaments anywhere in the footprint it wants. That's unrelated as you say. The league just tries to cut down on collective travel expenses.

The ACC might be able to work in South Florida, but in that case the HQ would be so far away from the members to make that work.

Both Clemson and FSU wanted WVU but the typical Tobacco Road elitist thumbed their collective nose at them. Thankfully UConn was kept out...
WVU academics killed them.
Which is funny because of the UNC academics scandal.

If the WVU didn’t have the internet feud with the ACC they likely would have been a candidate as well.

WVU fans really hurt their school with that Dude of WVU stuff.

WVU vs. Pitt would have been the spot for the ACC pick to WVU.
Syracuse was respected by the ACC for why they took their loss to Virginia Tech with grace and didn’t sue like the other Big East schools.

I like Louisville more than WVU for the ACC.
As long as this new commissioner gives keeps catering to the football schools that produce then the conference will continue to grow.

I imagine an important part of HQ location is being able to attract premiere talent to work at the conference. I'm going to guess that the ACC has missed out on no small amount of talented sports business executives because they didn't want to move to Greensboro. Charlotte might help with that, and D.C. certainly would help with that.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Big East suffered from this challenge for years because they inexplicably kept HQ in Providence instead of moving it to NYC.

I imagine an important part of HQ location is being able to attract premiere talent to work at the conference. I'm going to guess that the ACC has missed out on no small amount of talented sports business executives because they didn't want to move to Greensboro. Charlotte might help with that, and D.C. certainly would help with that.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Big East suffered from this challenge for years because they inexplicably kept HQ in Providence instead of moving it to NYC.
That would be a reason to justify being in a bigger metropolitan area. The ACC would need to assess if this is an issue for them as well as what they need. Greensboro to Charlotte is just 90 miles, so they could perhaps easily set up a satellite and commute between them, or move completely. That would be easy. NYC would be the biggest metropolitan market. It's shut down now for COVID, but hopefully that comes to an end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom