Northwestern fires Pat Fitzgerald after hazing inquiry | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern fires Pat Fitzgerald after hazing inquiry

He was getting paid $5.7M/year to coach a team that has won 17 games in the past five years. They apparently have plenty of money to eventually hire a more permanent replacement.

So was Huggy and he's now paying two attorneys apparently. Lawyers will be involved.
Correct, but will they stay when they realize there is no pot of gold at the end of Huggy's Fitzgerald's rainbow?

I get it in the professional world but a group of college athletes not so much, don’t think that matters much at all. Cutting your hair short when your 19 years old when you would rather have it longer doesn’t teach a damn thing. Just dated meathead nonsense
I kinda disagree cause they are in learning mode at that age and need to learn discipline which is doing things u don’t want to do. It’s a huge thing to learn and people that don’t have any usually don’t make it too well usually.

He was getting paid $5.7M/year to coach a team that has won 17 games in the past five years. They apparently have plenty of money to eventually hire a replacement.
They can afford Schiano. Let's start the Schiano to Northwestern rumor. Schiano is a B10 coach. Schiano coached at tOSU. Schiano has a B10 win.

Schiano to NW!

(If nothing else, it will drive all three of Rutgers' fans nuts)

its 2023, are we really telling people what length their hair should be? my god, if you are coaching a team with 100 kids from all different races and backgrounds, I don’t think hair length would be on my list of rules to enforce. Just seems so goofy at this point
Thankfully, military recruits don't agree with you. I hope you don't see recruits as goofy. And they are far ore serious than your average college student, trusted with dangerous weapons, high pressure jobs, etc. Anyway, discipline is a good trait to possess.

its 2023, are we really telling people what length their hair should be? my god, if you are coaching a team with 100 kids from all different races and backgrounds, I don’t think hair length would be on my list of rules to enforce. Just seems so goofy at this point
Disagree.
In any group dynamic what you try to instill is a sense of togetherness, uniformity, and singleminded purpose.
It's not the haircut that's the issue- indeed losing some hair is a very minor part of it. Rather, look at it like establishing fundamentals, like in basketball, for instance. You start off by learning to dribble, chest pass, and take a set shot, before you can go for the crossover, behind the back pass, or 360 dunk. It's all about establishing good habits, and that includes learning a positive group & team mentality as well.
Success lies not just in wearing the same uniform, but rather in having the same focused goal. Especially in a sport like football, where nothing works well if everyone is not doing their job. How many touchdowns have been lost because some prima donna WR fails to throw the key block?
Nothing wrong with being an individual, but especially with younger players, you want to establish the basics- set expectations, and so on. JMHO

Thankfully, military recruits don't agree with you. I hope you don't see recruits as goofy. And they are far ore serious than your average college student, trusted with dangerous weapons, high pressure jobs, etc. Anyway, discipline is a good trait to possess.

I knew this one was coming. Wasn't talking about the military and nor should a college football coach think that's what they are involved in, my whole point. Too often goofy fans and meathead coaches get confused here.

It's just so dumb with regard to athletics and the sport of football in my opinion, really dumb but again I forget who is actually coaching these players. TRUE LEADERS OF MEN!
Disagree.
In any group dynamic what you try to instill is a sense of togetherness, uniformity, and singleminded purpose.
It's not the haircut that's the issue- indeed losing some hair is a very minor part of it. Rather, look at it like establishing fundamentals, like in basketball, for instance. You start off by learning to dribble, chest pass, and take a set shot, before you can go for the crossover, behind the back pass, or 360 dunk. It's all about establishing good habits, and that includes learning a positive group & team mentality as well.
Success lies not just in wearing the same uniform, but rather in having the same focused goal. Especially in a sport like football, where nothing works well if everyone is not doing their job. How many touchdowns have been lost because some prima donna WR fails to throw the key block?
Nothing wrong with being an individual, but especially with younger players, you want to establish the basics- set expectations, and so on. JMHO

Again, just dated nonsense. Take a set shot? stop right there. Having short hair versus long hair has nothing to do with "establishing good habits" or being disciplined. It's nothing more than a personal preference. That's it.

and with these idiot coaches it's nothing more than them trying to establish their dumb culture of conformity by getting a dumb haircut.

Using hair length as a judgement for anything is ridiculous. even more so when it happens to be being discussed with one's role or commitment as a player on a college football team.

Agree. They are having some down years, but it is very hard to win there. In any case, we’ll see where this all goes.
Without looking, they seem like the Vanderbilt of the Big 10, with a much higher bar, as there are no academic slouches in the Big 10, unlike the SEC.

I knew this one was coming. Wasn't talking about the military and nor should a college football coach think that's what they are involved in, my whole point. Too often goofy fans and meathead coaches get confused here.

It's just so dumb with regard to athletics and the sport of football in my opinion, really dumb but again I forget who is actually coaching these players. TRUE LEADERS OF MEN!

Again, just dated nonsense. Take a set shot? stop right there. Having short hair versus long hair has nothing to do with "establishing good habits" or being disciplined. It's nothing more than a personal preference. That's it.

and with these idiot coaches it's nothing more than them trying to establish their dumb culture of conformity by getting a dumb haircut.

Using hair length as a judgement for anything is ridiculous. even more so when it happens to be being discussed with one's role or commitment as a player on a college football team.
The long hair thing often seems to come from folks who would describe themselves as christian (I use the small c intentionally), which is interesting, given the accepted depictions of Christ.

I really don't have a problem with the hair thing either way as long as guys know up front what's going on and it's universally/equally enforced. The problem I have with story above is that white guys didn't have to cut their hair. That's where it becomes racial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom