Not a good sign that JB cuts the bench in game two | Syracusefan.com

Not a good sign that JB cuts the bench in game two

OrangeFoo

All American
I saw five play the majority of the second half - Lydon, Richardson, Cooney, Gbinje, Roberson. In the first half I saw a little bit of Howard and Joseph. Coleman played a few minutes each half. I saw zero Chinoso.

With the pace and space style we are playing this year if this pattern persists we're not going to have any legs by the end of the year. The problem with Joseph and Howard is that they give us nothing on offense. For all everyone says Joseph improved, he dribbles sideways way too much for my liking and he still doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball. Howard looks like your standard lost freshman who really doesn't do much at the moment other than take up minutes.

Anyways not sure what the answer is here but this short of a bench against a no name opponent in game two does no bode well for the rest of the year.

Roberson would have played more if not for foul trouble
Right and Coleman would have played less. I'm not blaming JB but we can't go a whole season playing 5 dudes 35 mins per game. This season is going to be made or ruined based on how well Coleman and Joseph develop and how many minutes they can give us.

Joseph still doesn't know what he's doing out there. Loved the jump in the air-spin around-turnover pass.
Yep... looks better but his brain doesn't seem to have caught up to his body yet.

Eleven minutes left the Bonaventure shot 19-44 with 10 threes made.

we went on a 30-12 run the last eleven minutes to end the game.
I wouldn't think to much into it.

Looked to me like Kaleb came in and tried to play point guard and we already had Gbinije doing that. Its going to be tough for him to get minutes that way. Beginning to look like hes going to need to be exclusively sg this year especially when we are down at any point.

Last edited:
Bench minutes tonight were a function of match ups, foul trouble issues and the fact that they were trailing for a good part of the game. It won't always play out this way, so I wouldn't read too much into it. KJ, Chino and DC2 will get run in a lot of games, but you know JB will ride his experienced upperclassmen for 35+mpg. Anyone expecting otherwise will be disappointed.

Joseph came in and was too passive. He needs to be looking for opportunities to push and attack or work hard to find a good shot. Reminds me a little of what Rak was like before the lights really came on.

Bench minutes tonight were a function of match ups, foul trouble issues and the fact that they were trailing for a good part of the game. It won't always play out this way, so I wouldn't read too much into it. KJ, Chino and DC2 will get run in a lot of games, but you know JB will ride his experienced upperclassmen for 35+mpg. Anyone expecting otherwise will be disappointed.

I honestly don't see Chino getting many minutes at all, even if Lydon looks overpowered and DC2 being ineffective.

There are 351 Divivion 1 basketball teams.

A. Who is ranked #351 in bench minutes?
B. Does it matter?

First off you didn't answer my questions!! :)

And, I think championship runs in March matter.

How many teams that only play 6 all season make championship runs in March? I imagine the list is really really short.

How many teams that only play 6 all season make championship runs in March? I imagine the list is really really short.
I imagine the list is ZERO, but I'm totally making that up.

and Duke too

Like JB, Duke doesn't typically use a big rotation beyond 7 or 8.

But that year, they kicked off a returning starter and I believe had an injury. So they were kind of down to 6 at the end, but didn't start out that way. And three of those six were amongst the top freshman in the country -- all of whom were very high lottery draft picks.

Like JB, Duke doesn't typically use a big rotation beyond 7 or 8.

But that year, they kicked off a returning starter and I believe had an injury. So they were kind of down to 6 at the end, but didn't start out that way. And three of those six were amongst the top freshman in the country -- all of whom were very high lottery draft picks.
Right, just pointing out they certainly made a "championship run" ostensibly using 6 guys

Right, just pointing out they certainly made a "championship run" ostensibly using 6 guys
I just looked it up. You are absolutely correct about their short bench. They ranked 310 out of 351 last year, so bottom 12% in terms of bench minutes. But they really had more like 7 or 8 throughout the grinding season. But point taken about the short bench on the "championship run"

I just looked it up. You are absolutely correct about their short bench. They ranked 310 out of 351 last year, so bottom 12% in terms of bench minutes. But they really had more like 7 or 8 throughout the grinding season. But point taken about the short bench on the "championship run"

I really admire and appreciate your passion and conviction with regard to this topic. I'm not really going to disagree with you. But all I want to say is 6 weeks ago I was hoping and praying they would be able to just get invited to play in the NCAA tournament. Being ranked in the top 20 after just 8 games is like pinch me territory! It's hard for me to argue about depth because I'm still in shock from the last 2 games!

the better your starting 5-6 play the more bench minutes you can play guys who make mistakes. ours play just good enough to stay in every game but never put teams away so they can sit down.

I saw five play the majority of the second half - Lydon, Richardson, Cooney, Gbinje, Roberson. In the first half I saw a little bit of Howard and Joseph. Coleman played a few minutes each half. I saw zero Chinoso.

With the pace and space style we are playing this year if this pattern persists we're not going to have any legs by the end of the year. The problem with Joseph and Howard is that they give us nothing on offense. For all everyone says Joseph improved, he dribbles sideways way too much for my liking and he still doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball. Howard looks like your standard lost freshman who really doesn't do much at the moment other than take up minutes.

Anyways not sure what the answer is here but this short of a bench against a no name opponent in game two does no bode well for the rest of the year.
If you define the bench as the guys on the team, then yes he didn't play the bench much. If you define it as the guys on the team who can help win games, then the bench got a lot of time on the court. Lydon was great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom