Not a talent issue, I've been told... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not a talent issue, I've been told...

Tonight was horrible, but if you're going to rewatch losses (I personally never have but some shockingly do), watch Kadary dribbling. The scouting report is to lay off of him. And he still gets by his defender. He is crossing over people, between the legs...two dribbles in a row, off a hesitation... in the paint. He can get to his left or his right. He spun tonight, then head-faked for an up and under for a finger roll inside with the bigs that the idiot ref did not call a foul on.

He needs to get a bit better at finishing when he gets there and he will once he cuts a little bit of the gymnastics down, and also continues developing that floater.

He already has the potential to be an ALL ACC defender. We've seen it. Not sure what else people need to see on defense. Matisse Thybulle at Washington was one of the best defenders in the entire country (3.5s, 2.3b his senior year, ridiculous), playing for Hop and the zone. He's in the league right now because of it. He was always so so on offense.

Kadary has the ability to impact games in that way. His inability to shoot, imo, is overblown with a very small sample size. Even if he never becomes great at it, whatever.
Love Kadary. I love his defense and his handle and his ability to attack the paint off the bounce. It’s exactly what we needed this season. But I’d say his biggest issue right now besides outside shooting (we all know that) is that he’s still learning how to play PG here, how to make the right decisions and find the open man. He’s a great passer but he’s still learning how to pick his spots and create for others. His assist numbers aren’t great, but I think they’ll be much better next season. I think Boeheim described it perfectly in his post-game comments.

They nearly lost to BC and lost to Miami. The board is overrating them.
I disagree. Let’s see where they are in two weeks. I think they win their remaining regular season games. “Nearly lost” doesn’t count. Though that Miami loss was a bad one.

Love Kadary. I love his defense and his handle and his ability to attack the paint off the bounce. It’s exactly what we needed this season. But I’d say his biggest issue right now besides outside shooting (we all know that) is that he’s still learning how to play PG here, how to make the right decisions and find the open man. He’s a great passer but he’s still learning how to pick his spots and create for others. His assist numbers aren’t great, but I think they’ll be much better next season. I think Boeheim described it perfectly in his post-game comments.

He hit the open man plenty during the game, people just missed shots. I keep hearing this then watching him get looks for people who miss shots.

His biggest issue is finishing at an elite level. He can get close to the rack almost at will and just needs to put it home each time.

Shooting will come, either while he's here or at the next level. But it seems he can shoot ok, just needs the green light so if he misses he doesn't immediately get pulled.

They nearly lost to BC and lost to Miami. The board is overrating them.
I disagree. Let’s see where they are in two weeks. I think they win their remaining regular season games. “Nearly lost” doesn’t count. Though that Miami loss was a bad one.

Are they playing better? Yes. Did we make them look better than they are? Yes. They hadn't shot the ball that well all year. They only had 2 games where they scored more points than last night!!!

He hit the open man plenty during the game, people just missed shots. I keep hearing this then watching him get looks for people who miss shots.

His biggest issue is finishing at an elite level. He can get close to the rack almost at will and just needs to put it home each time.

Shooting will come, either while he's here or at the next level. But it seems he can shoot ok, just needs the green light so if he misses he doesn't immediately get pulled.

Richmond was 6/11 overall, 1/1 on 3's (and it looked great, and went in)
5/10 from the field on 2's is pretty damn good, especially with a shot blocker in the paint like Duke had.

I agree that he did a fine job setting guys up for shots - they just missed them.
Like Giselle once infamously moaned about TB12's receivers,
"he can only throw it to them, he can't catch it for them too."

Kadary had 3 assists and only 1 TO in his 30 minutes.
Could have easily had double that #, if guys made their shots.

3 of our starters were objectively AWFUL on O, and Bras was bricking it up too.
There's only so much a PG can do.

Richmond was 6/11 overall, 1/1 on 3's (and it looked great, and went in)
5/10 from the field on 2's is pretty damn good, especially with a shot blocker in the paint like Duke had.

I agree that he did a fine job setting guys up for shots - they just missed them.
Like Giselle once infamously moaned about TB12's receivers,
"he can only throw it to them, he can't catch it for them too."

Kadary had 3 assists and only 1 TO in his 30 minutes.
Could have easily had double that #, if guys made their shots.

3 of our starters were objectively AWFUL on O, and Bras was bricking it up too.
There's only so much a PG can do.

Legitimately, the seal Kadary got on his guy on the block was the best seal I've seen any of our players do all year.

As much as it's easy to sit here and blame talent, the effort is the bigger issue. Hard work makes up for talent when talent doesn't work hard enough.

As much as it's easy to sit here and blame talent, the effort is the bigger issue. Hard work makes up for talent when talent doesn't work hard enough.
That's a cool saying, but in practicality and in sports it simply isn't true.

I can work as hard as I want to, but LeBron James is going to kick my butt 100 times out of 100.

Joe Girard can work as hard as he wants to, but he's still not going to effectively alter a perimeter jump shooter that is 6'4" due to his 5'10" frame.

Marek Dolezaj can work as hard as he wants to, but he's never going to outrebound a guy that is 7'0", 250 lbs.

That's the reality.

Go big or stay home. Were not the cub scouts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom