Not a well coached team | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Not a well coached team

I can’t wait till we don’t make a bowl the next two years and people will still call for dino to get at least a two year extension to build stability
That's an "interesting" thing to hope for and to what end? To make a point to the people who don't think he should be let go now?

We don't have the money. After his 10 win season, he pay and his buy-out were jacked sky high. He has 3 years left on his deal, meaning that his buy out is close to $15M, and maybe $20M total for the assistants, if some of them like the coordinators have buy outs, too.

There was a long thread about this a month or so ago.
I'm sure I'll regret jumping in here...but buyouts are typically de-escalating, meaning they decrease substantially year over year over the term of the contract. SU does not make those details public, so even if the $15M figure you quote was factual (I don't think it is anywhere close to that), it would be lower now in year 3 than it was in year 1. I don't think assistants have buy outs at any program not named Bama or Clemson (and maybe not even there). The fate of the assistants is tied to the HC and SU will certainly not be on the hook for the $5M buyouts to the assistants you are suggesting.

Eh, I have a lot of issues with this staff, but this isn’t one of them. I’m sure they are coaching the QBs on how they should elude pressure. I suspect the bigger problem is that our QBs aren’t all that good.

I mean, if I trained for a year with the greatest boxing coach of all time, I’d still get my clock cleaned by 54 year old Mike Tyson. Even if I was told to duck.

This is so incredibly true. I posted this earlier (possibly a different thread) but the history of sports is littered with some of the greatest figures in sports at the highest levels making mind numbing gaffes.

Brady failed to remember it was 4th down a few weeks ago. Webber called a Timeout when he didn't have one. Todd Gurley ran into the endzone when scoring was the only way his team might lose the game. Pete Carroll threw a pass instead of handing off to Lynch on the final play of a super bowl.

We fall in love with athletes who display the "clutch gene" which is essentially defined by staying calm and cool under pressure, able to remain focused and not let the pressure of a play or a situation affect their decision making, mechanics and play style. Well the reason those players are so revered is partly because they are (generally) absurdly talented, but also because most of the rest of the world CANNOT perform at that level under those circumstances. But even those guys/girls who are the best of the best and as clutch as you can get, will get sped up, panic just a touch and make a mistake from time to time (See Brady's forgetting of the down a few weeks ago). No one would ever suggest Brady doesn't know situational football, or that the Buccaneers and Patriots didn't teach him to count. Sometimes you just F things up. The lesser player you are, and the first few times you are in a critical situation, the more likely it is for just that to happen.

It will take an epic meltdown for him to be fired before his contract ends. I mean we need to go 1-10 again. Anything more and it will be used as a way to claim that we are turning the corner. And the main reason he is safe is money. Wildhack does not have the pay off money...

Wildhack doesn’t need to have the money but he has to be the one to find it. Fan base is already dead. I have a group of about 7/8 fellow alums that don’t even watch the games anymore. I can’t blame them.
So we can count on you for $5M to buy the staff out a year earlier?
Next year doesn't matter - again.
Next year, Wildhack would say, "Last year, with the virus, everything went crazy. This year we expect to stabilize, then in 2022 he needs to make a bowl."
He's getting 2 years, whether you like it or not.
Try to keep up, will you? We don't have the money to fire him.

No, that’s not my job - that’s Wildhack’s job. This whole “we don’t have the money” argument is a very 1990s way of thinking. We make 25-35 a year from the ACC alone. Time for the AD to get creative with regards to the buyout via future funds and cultivating donors to help rectify what has become a national embarrassment.

I refuse to accept that we are supposed to sit around for two more years for the coach who has received more institutional support than any coach in this program’s history to figure it out.

Wildhack doesn’t need to have the money but he has to be the one to find it. Fan base is already dead. I have a group of about 7/8 fellow alums that don’t even watch the games anymore. I can’t blame them.

No, that’s not my job - that’s Wildhack’s job. This whole “we don’t have the money” argument is a very 1990s way of thinking. We make 25-35 a year from the ACC alone. Time for the AD to get creative with regards to the buyout via future funds and cultivating donors to help rectify what has become a national embarrassment.

I refuse to accept that we are supposed to sit around for two more years for the coach who has received more institutional support than any coach in this program’s history to figure it out.

With respect...Then put your money where your mouth is. Start a fundraising effort. Because, the AD won’t start such a thing nor will the Orange Club. It’s not going to happen!

With respect...Then put your money where your mouth is. Start a fundraising effort. Because, the AD won’t start such a thing nor will the Orange Club. It’s not going to happen!

Again, that’s not my job. I am not held accountable for the losses that continue to mount.

How do you know it’s not already happening? That’s about as smart an assumption as those who believe the buy out is 15 million.

Again, that’s not my job. I am not held accountable for the losses that continue to mount.

How do you know it’s not already happening? That’s about as smart an assumption as those who believe the buy out is 15 million.

I don’t know...maybe you do...I just have strong suspicions...

tenor.gif

I wondered if you were going to come out of the woodwork to bang your weird triple option drum.
I’m coming around to Leipold or Morehead. I just want a competent team that isn’t a national embarrassment

But it's the donors at the other schools that pony up for the buyout. That's where the ADs at other schools get the money. So if you are that adamant then send in a check and a note stating for Dinos buyout.

You said it happens to every QB that plays. Which is not true. The 3 previous QB’s didn’t do that. Its such a basic thing. No coach tells a kid to run out of bounds and lose yards. You practice situations all the time. It’s up to the player to apply it in the games. Every player has a different mental process.

I have seen all three of the QB's that have played do the exact same thing RE: walk out of bounds while not throwing the ball away, losing yardage on the sideline. That is true.

I think he justs needs to get the team playing hard and there will be no way he will be fired. 5 wins is more than enough, 4 will probably do the trick. Then he gets one more year and has to win 6. If he doesn't win 6 that year, Syracuse will have had 8 out of the last 9 as losing seasons and the fan base will be dead.
If Dino gets that long and we’re ok with 4 wins in year 7 then we belong at the bottom of P5. We’d be just like Vandy, Duke, WF satisfied being a bottom feeder cashing our P5 check.
I know it’s a bad example but look at Texas. Their fan base wants to fire their coach in year 4 because they lost at home to a top 15 Iowa State.

If Dino gets that long and we’re ok with 4 wins in year 7 then we belong at the bottom of P5. We’d be just like Vandy, Duke, WF satisfied being a bottom feeder cashing our P5 check.
I know it’s a bad example but look at Texas. Their fan base wants to fire their coach in year 4 because they lost at home to a top 15 Iowa State.
Do you expect a winning season next year?

I have seen all three of the QB's that have played do the exact same thing RE: walk out of bounds while not throwing the ball away, losing yardage on the sideline. That is true.
You can watch a lot of teams that have players that make repetitive bone head plays. Does that mean the coach teaches it? At some point you have to realize there is a human element also. We can’t control players like video games. I can tell a hundred stories about kids doing the opposite of what we teach. From both championship teams and bad teams. I wish we can predict the reactions of every player. Would make coaching a lot easier.

Last edited:
I agree. I blame him for a lot of things but not for Rex running back and forth and not throwing the ball. Hes been around for 5 years and it always look like he doesn’t know what to do. Why didn’t Welch, Mahoney ED not have that same look? Rex has been give those situations over and over again in team sessions. Last practice before every game each coach has a check list of situations in the game and the whole teams goes through it.
That is the thing I didn’t know. Whether they go over it often. So maybe it is more Rex than coaching.

Eh, I have a lot of issues with this staff, but this isn’t one of them. I’m sure they are coaching the QBs on how they should elude pressure. I suspect the bigger problem is that our QBs aren’t all that good.

I mean, if I trained for a year with the greatest boxing coach of all time, I’d still get my clock cleaned by 54 year old Mike Tyson. Even if I was told to duck.
That’s a great explanation.

You can watch a lot of teams that have players that make repetitive bone head plays. Does that mean the coach teaches it? At some point you have to realize there is a human element also. We can’t control players like video games. I can tell a hundred stories about kids doing the opposite of what we teach. From both championship teams and bad teams. I wish we can predict the reactions of every player. Would make coaching a lot easier.
I know a jacket and some gift cards from the parents made it worth it for me to coach year after year...lol.
Not to be a wisea## but...how many million were u paid for coaching?? Somebody is being paid millions to deliver wins regardless of how he gets to the endpoint----victories. Somebody should be teaching the 2 minute drill in practice OVER aNd OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. We looked clueless on each down in the final drive . Not just the QB either.

Not to be a wisea## but...how many million were u paid for coaching?? Somebody is being paid millions to deliver wins regardless of how he gets to the endpoint----victories. Somebody should be teaching the 2 minute drill in practice OVER aNd OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. We looked clueless on each down in the final drive . Not just the QB either.
Practicing it and executing it is too different things. Im not saying they ran it good in the game ( it looked like a hot mess) but they practice it. They should do it more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom