Not a well coached team | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Not a well coached team

Or has played the game at a high level. Coaches need to take some of the blame here but this is mostly on Rex
Yup. There's not much you can say nice about a coach of a 1-9 team. Everything he does or say is going to be wrong in our minds but saying he coached Rex to do that is just plain short mindedness.

Do you know what the word "What" represents? its respresents What the ****. So how is that defending Rex and saying its ok?

I’m tired of arguing about this. You clearly defended the outcome when you said, “He did great most of the game but it was due at some point. It came at the worse time.”

But I’ll take you at your word that you didn’t mean what you said...Have a great day...

Good stuff. I don't look at it as defending myself. I dont expect anyone that don't coach or work with kids to understand. Im sure some people are tired of the meathead reactions in this forum so I try to give clarity to those people.

I appreciate the efforts. It just blows my mind how these people can think that our coaches are simply incapable of mentioning “don’t take a sack” or “when you throw the ball away hit the upper deck.” When the pressure is on, people panic and make mistakes. That’s part of what separates average athletes from great ones. The ability to remain calm and think straight and rationally and then execute under pressure is what defines the “clutch gene.”

some people have it, some people don’t. Hockman freaked out so bad yesterday he threw an incompletion backwards out of an endzone for a safety. That gaffe is just as bad (and in some ways worse) than Rex’s 3rd down play. But nobody is talking about it, because Hockman got his act together and did enough to win the game after that.

Rex F’ed up. Everyone, including him knows it. But lots of athletes have made similar mind boggling gaffes throughout history and nobody is suggesting they weren’t coached to avoid it.

a couple weeks ago, Brady forgot it was 4th down. The Chris Webber timeout. The Penn State kid who score a td earlier this year and immediately regretted it and same with Todd Gurley the next day for the Falcons. The guy who ran out the back of the endzone for the Lions years ago.

the gaffes are all epic and all from much more higher profile athletes than Rex. Pressure gets to everyone eventually and it got to Rex in the worst way at the worst time yesterday.

I’m tired of arguing about this. You clearly defended the outcome when you said, “He did great most of the game but it was due at some point. It came at the worse time.”

But I’ll take you at your word that you didn’t mean what you said...Have a great day...
His point was Rex has had numerous “What are you doing????” plays each game he’s played. Yesterday he didn’t really have them. Then they all happens in the last 40 seconds of the game. He was saying based on history it was bound to happen eventually in the game. Unfortunately it happened then as opposed to the middle of the 2nd quarter (Like Hockman’s gaffes)

Great and accurate observations. Dino’s teams are unorganized and his recruiting is terrible. Why was Shafer only given 3 years when Dino gets double that.

it’s one reason why I continue to double down on military style, triple option football. Dino is an unorganized Coach who cannot recruit enough skilled offensive players. I would prefer Paul Johnson or Jeff Monken to this constant show. It’s been amateur hour on the sidelines every week this year.
Leipold at UB is a perfect candidate and fit for Syracuse. He already has rebuilt high school football in WNY and recruits well in the midwest. He's right next door, but that makes too much sense for Syracuse to do it.

Last edited:
Disbelief with evidence.

To me, it’s pretty clear that Culpepper does one thing well - he can throw long down the sideline.

He does not throw out passes well - he does not throw short swing passes or crossing pattern passes well.

And, he does not move well.

Plus, he has been playing behind an OL tgat can’t run the ball.

So, as the field condensed yesterday at the end of the game, the coaches had few options.

There simply was not enough room to take advantage of what Rex can do.

The last series underscored the impact of COVID on our lack of quality depth.

Liepold at UB is a perfect candidate and fit for Syracuse. He already has rebuilt high school football in WNY and recruits well in the midwest. He's right next door, but that makes too much sense for Syracuse to do it.
I like Leipold and Morehead too

I give credit and a critque. Thats what a honest person would do. Bashing a kid over and over again. Anyone can do that. You are focused on me finding something positive to say about the kid and totally disregard me saying he makes bad decisions every game.

His point was Rex has had numerous “What are you doing????” plays each game he’s played. Yesterday he didn’t really have them. Then they all happens in the last 40 seconds of the game. He was saying based on history it was bound to happen eventually in the game. Unfortunately it happened then as opposed to the middle of the 2nd quarter (Like Hockman’s gaffes)
He still doesnt get it.

Are you watching any of these games? You think that these guys, minus a bunch of them, are going to a bowl next year? Even if we had the linemen healthy, they happened to be awful the year before, too. Are the WRs going to get that much better? We did sign a bunch of linemen. I hope we can hold most of the class together after what just happened this year.

If you think that’s the case than he should be fired this year no matter what.

this is year 5. This is his team.

all the players are making the same mental mistakes.

When 3 qbs make the same mistakes, when all the wrs don’t run back in a last second situation like yesterday, that’s coaching.

that’s the coaches not teaching situational awareness and letting them do what they want to do.

I know firing Babers will put us back a couple years but keeping him may put us back decades

Are you watching any of these games? You think that these guys, minus a bunch of them, are going to a bowl next year? Even if we had the linemen healthy, they happened to be awful the year before, too. Are the WRs going to get that much better? We did sign a bunch of linemen. I hope we can hold most of the class together after what just happened this year.

No I am anticipating 3/4 wins next year then Dino is gone. His EXPECTATION cannot be 4 wins in year 6. He needs to do everything in his power - grad transfers, juco transfers, coaching changes - to get to 6 wins and a bowl or he’s done. I’m sorry we can’t let a poor year five set the bar so low for year 6. It’s put up or shut up time.

No I am anticipating 3/4 wins next year then Dino is gone. His EXPECTATION cannot be 4 wins in year 6. He needs to do everything in his power - grad transfers, juco transfers, coaching changes - to get to 6 wins and a bowl or he’s done. I’m sorry we can’t let a poor year five set the bar so low for year 6. It’s put up or shut up time.
What about 5 wins and some really hard fought close losses.

also for everyone...

Obviously we don’t think that Dino Babers tells Rex or TD to run out of bounds and not throw it away. Or told Rex to spike it on 4th down.

But it’s obviously apparent he certainly isn’t telling them NOT to do that either. He’s obviously not going over end game situations.

Both qbs look like fish out of water in close end of game situations.

At first I put a lot on TD and said he just isn’t aware but to see Rex do similar things...that’s when you know it’s coaching and not the player. They aren’t being taught what to do.

Again, how many coaches out there get to Year 7 with only 1 bowl game?
I get your point. They won't have the will to terminate him if he gets 5 wins or even 4 and the team looks like it is progressing.

I get your point. They won't have the will to terminate him if he gets 5 wins or even 4 and the team looks like it is progressing.

They will if they are losing insane money on season ticket holders dropping like flies.

I don’t disagree with you which is why we have been in the situation we are now for the better part of two decades and are no longer a national football brand.

They will if they are losing insane money on season ticket holders dropping like flies.

The Dome will be a ghost town next year similar to this year due to COVID. I don’t want to hear squat from Dino about attendance or see his smug glance around the Dome when he comes out of the tunnel. Him and his incompetent staff are to blame for the record low attendance we will have next year. They might as well tarp off the whole upper bowl.

it’s one reason why I continue to double down on military style, triple option football. Dino is an unorganized Coach who cannot recruit enough skilled offensive players. I would prefer Paul Johnson or Jeff Monken to this constant show. It’s been amateur hour on the sidelines every week this year.
tenor.gif

I wondered if you were going to come out of the woodwork to bang your weird triple option drum.

what? I was responding to your question.
I think he justs needs to get the team playing hard and there will be no way he will be fired. 5 wins is more than enough, 4 will probably do the trick. Then he gets one more year and has to win 6. If he doesn't win 6 that year, Syracuse will have had 8 out of the last 9 as losing seasons and the fan base will be dead.

I think he justs needs to get the team playing hard and there will be no way he will be fired. 5 wins is more than enough, 4 will probably do the trick. Then he gets one more year and has to win 6. If he doesn't win 6 that year, Syracuse will have had 8 out of the last 9 as losing seasons and the fan base will be dead.
Gotcha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom