Not as excited as everyone else | Syracusefan.com

Not as excited as everyone else

Macho Uno

Scout Team
I can't help but think we are taking a step back in recruiting here. I don't mind the Chinoso project so much because you can't teach size but I felt SF was our spot to really score in this class with a big time recruit and I can't help but feel we missed out. Hopefully there is still one star SF/PF type for us to bring in who can really put points on the board.

I can't help but think we are taking a step back in recruiting here. I don't mind the Chinoso project so much because you can't teach size but I felt SF was our spot to really score in this class with a big time recruit and I can't help but feel we missed out. Hopefully there is still one star SF/PF type for us to bring in who can really put points on the board.
Johnson will take some seasoning, but I bet he turns out to be a big contributor in a few years. We are still in it for some of the guys that you would prefer, but Johnson is important because we are not in the one and done business and these program guys are the glue that holds the program together. They are the foundation, adding the superstars takes it to the next level, but those other guys ensure that we never fall far if we don't land the top 20 guys.

I love Ennis and Obokoh because they are the #1 and #2 needs for that class.

I know almost nothing about Johnson other than he is skinney and can really shoot ut but remember we will have Grant, Fair, MikeG(who can play some 3) and probably Christmas to man the forward spots for 2013. Plus we are in the running for some seriously tallented guys in Roberson, Vonleh and Lawrence. The staff must feel like they have a good chance at landing one of these guys but even if we don't we have enough guys at the forward for 2013.

Getting a guy who can backup Ennis at the point to me is more important than one of those three forwards IMO. I'll feel very good about our 2013 class if Jordan committs and if we land one of those forwards it goes from a really good recruiting class to a great one.

I disagree - you should be very excited for the following reasons:

1. We need to own the upstate recruiting base.

2. Probably helps in recruiting Bryant.

3. Great program fit in terms of his position and projected role.

4. I like the 4 year guys. They learn the system, they get develop physically and skillwise over time, and a 3 or 4 star 4 year guy has a chance to be as effective the last two years as a stud "might" be in the one & done year. Not many of the one & dones are legit Melo's that can rally take you all the way to the top.

5. Recruiting strategy wise - I like having enough of the quality 4 year guys on the roster to know that we will be at least a Top 25 team every season, even without landing a kahuna and even if at some point we have a recruiting off year.

6. He could be a potential redshirt - if you can land a 3 or 4 star guy who is willing to take a shirt, you can have a really nice player as a 5th year senior - see Andy or AO.

7. It restore recruiting mojo !!!

I disagree - you should be excited for the following reasons:

4. I like the 4 year guys. They learn the system, they get develop physically and skillwise over time, and a 3 or 4 star 4 year guy has a chance to be as effective the last two years as a stud "might" be in the one & done year. Not many of the one & dones are legit Melo's that can rally take you all the way to the top.

5. Recruiting strategy wise - I like having enough of the quality4 year guys on the roster to know that we will be at least a Top 25 team every season, even without landing a kahuna and even if at some point we have a recruiting off year.

6. He could be a potential redshirt - if you can land a 3 or 4 star guy who is willing to take a shirt, you can have a really nice player as a 5th year senior - see Andy or AO.

Excellent post. I agree with every point.

As far as Johnson goes, I was a little skeptical when I looked him up and saw he appears to be a bit of a project, but that said, he's one of the youngest players in the class and is still growing into his body. We can develop him for a year or two and watch him blow up as, say, a junior and senior and be an All-ACC type talent, potentially.

Excellent post. I agree with every point.

As far as Johnson goes, I was a little skeptical when I looked him up and saw he appears to be a bit of a project, but that said, he's one of the youngest players in the class and is still growing into his body. We can develop him for a year or two and watch him blow up as, say, a junior and senior and be an All-ACC type talent, potentially.
Absolutely agree, I am unfamiliar w Johnson, but I certainly trust the staff's judgment.

I love seeing the staff bringing in kids that won't be one and dones. In order to compete with UK every year for a NC, we will have to battle their pure talent with seasoned players. We aren't going to win the pissing match with them recruiting-wise, but I am confident that JB and Hop can outcoach Pay Pal Cal if given the opportunity.

Don't worry, we'll still land a stud forward.

Don't worry, we'll still land a stud forward.

That's what I want to hear! My gut says Roberson but the only time I've seen Vonleh play he had this visciousness that I LOVE to see in a college basketball player and he tops my wish (besides Wiggins who I don't think we have any shot at).

Just a random thought... the 2007 class was essentially 4 players(I've blacked out the Sean Williams experience). At the time, people were most excited about Donte and Jonny. Understandable since both were McD's and both 5 star players. But the other two were Scoop and Rick. Now, when you look back on it, Rick was a far better get for us than Donte, doesn't mean he was a better actual player, but he gave us 4 really good years and was an all conference type his senior year while often covering the center spot during Fab's freshman year. If AO doesn't get hurt, he could be a National Champion.

Scoop vs. Jonny is more debatable since Jonny stayed 2, but Scoop was a huge emotional leader and played major minutes on the best regular season team we have ever had, in a year with more turmoil than we've ever had. The point is that he was a huge piece for two of the best teams we've ever had, 09-10 and last year. Hell, if Fab doesn't get suspended and AO doesn't get hurt, he could theoretically be a 2 time National Champion.

So, in the end people might be getting excited over the prospect of landing Roberson or Lawrence or Vonleh, and I am too, but a lot of times, it's the 4 year guys who bring the most value to the program. In 5 years, we may be discussing how great Johnson or Obokoh is while the others may be something resembling afterthoughts.

The 2013/14 team would have Fair (senior), Grant (sophomore) and Mike G (sophomore) on the roster. Syracuse coaches have to do one hell of a sell job to get a mcD's type SF right now b/c there's no guarantee that type of kid will step into a starters role and probably won't.

Johnson is nice insurance and could turn out to be a better version of Hakim Warrick. Warrick didn't exactly get anybody excited either and he turned out just fine.

I disagree - you should be very excited for the following reasons:

5. Recruiting strategy wise - I like having enough of the quality 4 year guys on the roster to know that we will be at least a Top 25 team every season, even without landing a kahuna and even if at some point we have a recruiting off year.

I completely agree with this, Hopkins is just stacking up for the next three years. Chinoso will be ready by his second year and he will most likely redshirt freshman year with the depth that we are about to have, hopefully he will also help us land Thomas Bryant. Bj Johnson is going to contribute a lot too, remember he is still really young and has to develop too but from the looks of his highlight reels the kid can ball, plus Rysheed Jordan will probably want to play with him and he also knows the reputation we have with philly kids. I'm just really hoping we do get one of these PF's soon. If you think about it it couldn't get any better for us Ennis, Johnson, Chinoso, Jordan and Vonleh, Roberson or Lawrence would be one of the most complete classes since 2007 with Flynn, Green, Scoop and Rick.

Take a guess then Francis... Who you like?
I feel good about Roberson and it should come down to us and Kansas if Wiggins reclassify. If not then UK will still be in the picture.

I feel good about Roberson and it should come down to us and Kansas if Wiggins reclassify. If not then UK will still be in the picture.

This seems like a huge development. What happened to FSU, and why would UK be out if he does not reclassify?

This seems like a huge development. What happened to FSU, and why would UK be out if he does not reclassify?
I think you misunderstood so let me clarify. Currently it's a 3 team battle for Roberson, SU, KU, UK. The main interest from UK comes from the possibility that Wiggins stays in 2014. If Wiggins joins 2013, then UK will give their full attention to Wiggins and it'll most likely come down to SU and Kansas. Also the word is that Roberson is looking to stay closer to home, so that will also help SU.

I think you misunderstood so let me clarify. Currently it's a 3 team battle for Roberson, SU, KU, UK. The main interest from UK comes from the possibility that Wiggins stays in 2014. If Wiggins joins 2013, then UK will give their full attention to Wiggins and it'll most likely come down to SU and Kansas. Also the word is that Roberson is looking to stay closer to home, so that will also help SU.
UK would have to choose, then, right? Between Jabari Parker and Wiggins? There's no way they can get them BOTH, right?...That'd be absurd.

Everything I have read has said he hasn't broken out against the big time competition thats why hes only 3 star.
From what I found on the net...
BJ was more of a 6'4-6'5 guard back in jan-mar. Not to long ago so that bodes well being a guard who develops into a SF. He has a slow release from outside but knocks down the open ones (way ahead of KJ at this stage). And he hits them all over the floor (Maybe the most underated quality for sf). I don't think Southerland has ever hit a three from the corner this kid has. Hes got to shoot more off the dribble though. Always love the thought of a sf who is confident without hesitation to pull the trigger from outside when open like Johnson is.

The reason he hasn't been rated high is because he hasn't done much against the top competition supposevely, but his fundementals are there he just needs to pick up the speed. He only weights 165 he needs to bulk up atleast 20 pounds.

imo, If he finds his upside and speeds up his game and his jumpshot release he has potential to be sort of like Wes Johnson maybe, with alittle better handle to attack off the dribble more as he becomes a leader or veteran.

Nova offered BJ along with temple, Rutgers, Penn state, St Joes a few months back so he can't be a bad get. There was alot of buzz he wanted ot stay close to home which might have kept some top schools away.

Love how he hits the jumper from all over in this video though. Way ahead of CJ or KJO at this point. thets not forget mcw was only a 3 star people bashed him now hes a high school mcdAA skill competition winner and probably one of the top 4 guards in america as only a sophmore. According to his high school coach he said BJ has terrific work ethic. Kobe Bryant went to lower merion, maybe he can do his good friend Melo a favor and rub some of that luck off on BJ in the offseason. Excited to have

I love Ennis and Obokoh because they are the #1 and #2 needs for that class.

I know almost nothing about Johnson other than he is skinney and can really shoot ut but remember we will have Grant, Fair, MikeG(who can play some 3) and probably Christmas to man the forward spots for 2013. Plus we are in the running for some seriously tallented guys in Roberson, Vonleh and Lawrence. The staff must feel like they have a good chance at landing one of these guys but even if we don't we have enough guys at the forward for 2013.

Getting a guy who can backup Ennis at the point to me is more important than one of those three forwards IMO. I'll feel very good about our 2013 class if Jordan committs and if we land one of those forwards it goes from a really good recruiting class to a great one.

Don't count on Rak staying too long.

Johnson can flat out ball. That is a real smooth jumper, can handle at 6-7 and jump out of the gym. 16 years old, are you kidding me? Sky is the limit for this kid.

I look at it this way. Jim Boeheim is at the peak of his acumen in all areas of College Basketball. Evaluating talent, assembling talent into a cohesive team, teaching, developing schemes for opponents and knowing the landscape of college basketball in general. If he and his coaching staff extend and offer to a player to come to Syracuse, it's been well thought out and done with a sense of purpose that is well beyond the understanding of the typical Basketball enthusiast.

When we get a commitment from a BJ Johnson type of player... that is reason enough for me to be excited because Jimmy knows what he is doing. All one need do and look at the results he has been getting in the past 5 years and there can be no doubt that this kid is going to be a great component to a winning program.

[quote="thets not forget mcw was only a 3 star people bashed him now hes a high school mcdAA skill competition winner and probably one of the top 4 guards in america as only a sophmore.[/media][/quote]

Good point ... MCW really came out of nowhere, I don't think anyone had him on any list. MCW might as well stood for What to the board.

Hi Debbie!

UK would have to choose, then, right? Between Jabari Parker and Wiggins? There's no way they can get them BOTH, right?...That'd be absurd.
Parker chopped his list to 5 a few weeks ago and Kentucky didn't make the cut. Looks like a Michigan St/Duke battle for his services. If or when Wiggins reclassifies, Calipari will sell his soul to land Wiggins. Good luck to Leonard Hamilton on that one lol.

Parker chopped his list to 5 a few weeks ago and Kentucky didn't make the cut. Looks like a Michigan St/Duke battle for his services. If or when Wiggins reclassifies, Calipari will sell his soul to land Wiggins. Good luck to Leonard Hamilton on that one lol.
Hey Ashley! No new Jay pics unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom