NOT: Floyd Mayweather | Syracusefan.com

NOT: Floyd Mayweather

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
Some folks may have thought I was joking when I mentioned this earlier, but I was not. The 2 UConn threads told me my waking premonition was on target.

This thread is about an opponent of ours, so for those not familiar with boxing, this is just the lubricant.

Before I got around to drinking(actually, it was before I got out of bed, which isn't to say the two are necessarily exclusive), I was thinking about how I could help the world in some way today.

Various thoughts popped into my head, and came and went like women from Wilt Chamberlain's bed.

I thought about Cinco de ****, and my friends out here who are out of work. I moved a few days back and thought of Floyd Mayweather after all these years finally being pushed by someone to accept a fight with the peoples' champion, Manny Pacquiao. Manny is a Filipino boxer having won title belts in 8 different divisions, the only person to have ever done so. He is also an elected member to the house of representatives, a singer, actor, basketball player, humanitarian, and heaven knows what else. Having been raised for a short time by Filipinos on Oahu, I have an extra reason to like an already likable human being. Bolas bolas!!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr has won titles in 5 divisions, and has been called by many the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Yet for many years, Mayweather has ducked challenges from Pacquiao, citing various excuses. Now, for whatever reason, Mayweather finally has said he would do it on May 2nd, given his conditions are met.

Some fans(on this board, at least) want the Orange to act like Mayweather, and are happy we are ducking the challenge of the current title belt holders, the UConn Huskies. They assume that being in the ACC somehow approaches the prestige of winning FOUR title belts in 15 years, and that we are punishing the title holders by ducking them. The rest of us, who are more like Pacquiao than Mayweather, understand that you don't punish the champ by ducking them, you punish your own reputation. When was the last time St John's or Nova ever reached the height of rivalry that Georgetown and UConn did? If they ever did, it was before some members of this board's parents even met, let alone fornicated.

Truth be told, I am not necessarily fiending for a matchup with the Huskies, but I think some of the posts mocking them for wanting to play us are silly. I've seen b*tching and moaning for years on here about why we aren't called elite, and some of those same people are the ones wanting us to cower away from the world champions. That's their right, but it's also the right of the rest of us to not want to back down simply because we perceive ourselves as having the upper hand over the “mid major” NCAA title holders. These conference shifts are not completely different than the way the British drew lines on the map after leaving the Middle East, and the problems it caused thereafter. I imagine some of you are very amped up for the battles with VA Tech or Clemson, but count me out of your Mayweather camp of ducking, please.

pcob-6_v1.jpg

Last edited:
St. John's, Villanova and Georgetown were rivals before Yukon even knew what basketball was.

Maybe so, but couldn't we also add St Bonaventure to that list? All 4 of them combined have how many title belts in the last 15 years?

I have yet to hear one really convincing argument as to why we should ever go to Storrs to play UConn. They are unlikely IMO to do a Dome n MSG series. Possibly they would agree to a one off game at MSG or maybe even an annual one. When we go to St.Johns (MSG), to Nova (WellsFargo) or to Gtown (Verizon) we have very large fan bases and will be playing at major venues.

Some folks may have thought I was joking when I mentioned this earlier, but I was not. The 2 UConn threads told me my waking premonition was on target.

This thread is about an opponent of ours, so for those not familiar with boxing, this is just the lubricant.

Before I got around to drinking(actually, it was before I got out of bed, which isn't to say the two are necessarily exclusive), I was thinking about how I could help the world in some way today.

Various thoughts popped into my head, and came and went like women from Wilt Chamberlain's bed.

I thought about Cinco de ****, and my friends out here who are out of work. I moved a few days back and thought of Floyd Mayweather after all these years finally being pushed by someone to accept a fight with the peoples' champion, Manny Pacquiao. Manny is a Filipino boxer having won title belts in 8 different divisions, the only person to have ever done so. He is also an elected member to the house of representatives, a singer, actor, basketball player, humanitarian, and heaven knows what else. Having been raised for a short time by Filipinos on Oahu, I have an extra reason to like an already likable human being. Bolas bolas!!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr has won titles in 5 divisions, and has been called by many the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Yet for many years, Mayweather has ducked challenges from Pacquiao, citing various excuses. Now, for whatever reason, Mayweather finally has said he would do it on May 2nd, given his conditions are met.

Some fans(on this board, at least) want the Orange to act like Mayweather, and are happy we are ducking the challenge of the current title belt holders, the UConn Huskies. They assume that being in the ACC somehow approaches the prestige of winning FOUR title belts in 15 years, and that we are punishing the title holders by ducking them. The rest of us, who are more like Pacquiao than Mayweather, understand that you don't punish the champ by ducking them, you punish your own reputation. When was the last time St John's or Nova ever reached the height of rivalry that Georgetown and UConn did? If they ever did, it was before some members of this board's parents even met, let alone fornicated.

Truth be told, I am not necessarily fiending for a matchup with the Huskies, but I think some of the posts mocking them for wanting to play us are silly. I've seen b*tching and moaning for years on here about why we aren't called elite, and some of those same people are the ones wanting us to cower away from the world champions. That's their right, but it's also the right of the rest of us to not want to back down simply because we perceive ourselves as having the upper hand over the “mid major” NCAA title holders. These conference shifts are not completely different than the way the British drew lines on the map after leaving the Middle East, and the problems it caused thereafter. I imagine some of you are very amped up for the battles with VA Tech or Clemson, but count me out of your Mayweather camp of ducking, please.

pcob-6_v1.jpg

2 Things:

(1) Mocking UConn for being in their current predicament, wishing them ill and not wanting to play them a 'la Nova or GTown, are totally irrelevant to the point(?) you're trying to make here. So...if UConn hadn't won the NC last year, would it be OK at THAT point to not want to play them? They are arguably our 3rd greatest rival after the aforementioned GTown and Nova, and we've resurrected those 2 series. Why? Because they serve our best interests in recruiting, etc., whereas a game w/ UConn does not.
Its for those and similar reasons that UConn has been repeatedly passed over in CR & why playing them again is NOT a priority. Their geography is their biggest drawback, and other than the merits of competition, which has NEVER been a priority in CR, playing them serves little purpose. Its not personal...just business.
Not to mention that kicking them when they're down is just par for the course.

Additionally, here's something to ponder once you sober up...or is it IF you sober up ;): If the situation was reversed, do you think the Boners would be as magnanimous towards us on their forum? If you do, I have some oceanfront property in Idaho you might be interested in.

(2) All due respect, but this OP smacks of "trying waaay too effin' hard", IMO.
No one is "ducking" UConn & if the game can be made, then so be it. But to throw them a lifeline simply because they've won 4>1 over us, is illogical on its face. We've had great games in the past w/ UConn, & they're a great program. But I can give 10 reasons why we don't need/want to play them and none of those involve "ducking" them.

Not wanting to play UConn & wanting to watch them "whither on the vine", versus "ducking" them- which implies fear, are 2 mutually exclusive propositions.
One does NOT have to equal the other, as your rant seems to imply.
JMHO

Last edited:
Now that we have the villainous G-town on the schedule so we can dish out an annual well-deserved drubbing...we can turn our attention to that minor nuisance (although unfortunately very successful) UConn.

I think geography still matters. If we want to be the Beast of the East we have to play the best in the east.
That includes UConn. An annual game at MSG would be a big win for everyone (except for UConn in terms of the final score).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom