Not owning it bothers me. | Syracusefan.com

Not owning it bothers me.

Crusty

Living Legend
I am a bit bothered by what seems to be a lack of ownership of our problems and mistakes by Lester and Bullough. It seems that they are constantly calling out the players either individually or as a group without ever taking any blame themselves. Maybe it is just me, but Marrone never did that as I recall. Always took all of the blame for not doing a good enough coaching job. He was a real players coach. Boring in pressers to be sure but I liked that about him.

Shafer always does pretty much as Marrone's (I said pretty much) except for in game decisions or events. He doesn't seem to recognize his mistakes for what they are. At times I wonder if he spends enough time reviewing his decisions. Marrone got much better at game management, but I don't see Shafer growing in this regard.

Maybe I am wrong, but those are my impression.

Crusty said:
I am a bit bothered by what seems to be a lack of ownership of our problems and mistakes by Lester and Bullough. It seems that they are constantly calling out the players either individually or as a group without ever taking any blame themselves. Maybe it is just me, but Marrone never did that as I recall. Always took all of the blame for not doing a good enough coaching job. He was a real players coach. Boring in pressers to be sure but I liked that about him. Shafer always does pretty much as Marrone's (I said pretty much) except for in game decisions or events. He doesn't seem to recognize his mistakes for what they are. At times I wonder if he spends enough time reviewing his decisions. Marrone got much better at game management, but I don't see Shafer growing in this regard. Maybe I am wrong, but those are my impression.

Marrone made taking the blame an art. It was annoying, calculating... And effective.

I think they are just being honest. And I appreciate that as well.

I am a bit bothered by what seems to be a lack of ownership of our problems and mistakes by Lester and Bullough. It seems that they are constantly calling out the players either individually or as a group without ever taking any blame themselves. Maybe it is just me, but Marrone never did that as I recall. Always took all of the blame for not doing a good enough coaching job. He was a real players coach. Boring in pressers to be sure but I liked that about him.

Shafer always does pretty much as Marrone's (I said pretty much) except for in game decisions or events. He doesn't seem to recognize his mistakes for what they are. At times I wonder if he spends enough time reviewing his decisions. Marrone got much better at game management, but I don't see Shafer growing in this regard.

Maybe I am wrong, but those are my impression.
Wow he was sooooo not a players coach. No one liked the guy. Shafer is a players coach.

Honesty is one thing, but Bullough saying that he would rather have faced the starting QB, who lit up your defense the year before is baffling. Every week seems to bring about a slew of excuses, which is annoying when this is supposedly a "No Excuses" organization.

I've been annoyed with Lester calling out Dungey in the media all year.

Full_Rebar said:
Honesty is one thing, but Bullough saying that he would rather have faced the starting QB, who lit up your defense the year before is baffling. Every week seems to bring about a slew of excuses, which is annoying when this is supposedly a "No Excuses" organization. I've been annoyed with Lester calling out Dungey in the media all year.

He's not offering that info on Dungey out of the blue.

"What can Eric do better this week?"
"How do you convince Eric to take less hits?"

Honesty is one thing, but Bullough saying that he would rather have faced the starting QB, who lit up your defense the year before is baffling. Every week seems to bring about a slew of excuses, which is annoying when this is supposedly a "No Excuses" organization.

I've been annoyed with Lester calling out Dungey in the media all year.

My impression has been that Lester was explaining why it is so difficult for a true frosh to play at this level.

I thought he was supporting Eric - not throwing him under the bus - that was how I took it at least.

Clearly, he loves the kid.

My impression has been that Lester was explaining why it is so difficult for a true frosh to play at this level.

I thought he was supporting Eric - not throwing him under the bus - that was how I took it at least.

Clearly, he loves the kid.
I have no doubt that is right. However, my point is that Lester never seems to take any responsibility for anything that goes wrong. How do you improve what you are doing if you don't take some responsibility for unacceptable results?

Bullough does the same thing.

As a Pats fan just about everything this staff says blows my mind. But I admit that my perception of what coaches should and shouldn't say is probably warped.
Eric Dungey plays quarterback for our team.

mumbles something else

Wow he was sooooo not a players coach. No one liked the guy. Shafer is a players coach.
after watching "Whiplash" last night, knowing the success of BB, Parcells etc, has me scratching my head to think that having hate for your coach/teacher (or at least fear) might be the best route to coaching success :noidea:

Last edited:
Cuseregular said:
after watching "Whiplash" last night, knowing the success of BB, Parcells etc, has me scratching my head to think that having hate for your coach/teacher might be the best route to coaching success :noidea:
I think it depends on why the coach is hated. The best coaches are hated because they accept nothing less than 100% effort in practice. Most athletes hate to practice and will gladly loaf if given the chance. Coaches like Bellichick and Parcells force them to work harder than most, especially on small details. But, they are respected by their players.
Coaches that are neither liked nor respected are in trouble.

He's not offering that info on Dungey out of the blue.

"What can Eric do better this week?"
"How do you convince Eric to take less hits?"

"Eric missed X reads in the first half at USF" isn't something the media needs to know, or would know. You can speak in general terms while describing why the offense wasn't moving the ball. I mean I find it hard to believe that the offense struggles solely because of Eric Dungey.

As I've said before, Daoust takes a "We" approach when saying the players and coaches need to do better, and I wish the rest of the staff followed his example.

Eric Dungey plays quarterback for our team.

mumbles something else

There sure as hell wouldn't be talk about how bad calls cost us games, or anything about ISIS. ;)

There sure as hell wouldn't be talk about how bad calls cost us games, or anything about ISIS. ;)

would he mumble about being "3-0" a bunch of times?

Full_Rebar said:
"Eric missed X reads in the first half at USF" isn't something the media needs to know, or would know. You can speak in general terms while describing why the offense wasn't moving the ball. I mean I find it hard to believe that the offense struggles solely because of Eric Dungey. As I've said before, Daoust takes a "We" approach when saying the players and coaches need to do better, and I wish the rest of the staff followed his example.

Yeah. That's fine. I agree.

I just don't mind the honesty. I've said this a million times - he's not sharing things with the media that Eric hasn't heard. I don't think the kid cares. He seems like self motivated type.

I've heard Lester take blame for things.

Yeah. That's fine. I agree.

I just don't mind the honesty. I've said this a million times - he's not sharing things with the media that Eric hasn't heard. I don't think the kid cares. He seems like self motivated type.

I've heard Lester take blame for things.
You may be right, but I honestly can't recall one instance.

You may be right, but I honestly can't recall one instance.

As an aside: love your new avatar, Crusty! Coming up for Clempson?

As an aside: love your new avatar, Crusty! Coming up for Clempson?
Either Cempson or BC. Alyce has some minor surgery scheduled and my be in too much discomfort to travel to Clemson.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your lovely lady! Looking forward to a meet and greet at either game! Hope our boys can kick ass at both games ...

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your lovely lady! Looking forward to a meet and greet at either game! Hope our boys can kick ass at both games ...
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom