Not sure how to feel about this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not sure how to feel about this

If Syracuse had gotten blown out, I wouldn't feel bad. I feel totally deflated given they could have won this game. Riley's dropped touchdown was inexcusable. Our receivers have to learn to catch. They could have made a stop on 3rd and 2 and forced a field goal, but didn't.

I just don't think they were more talented. Higher rated - sure, as a team and as individual players. But we lost on stupid things, not on who's better.

Their qb play is horrible that's why. Get an athlete in their and its lights out. That's how important that position is.
Eh. The first guy played ok. Then inexplicably got pulled.

One question: did we have more sacks than LSU? I mean a lot of that is on ED’s legs and the O - and Etling is bad when pressured.

Our D is really improving.

That was the third best D we’ll see all year with NFL players all over.

The O isn’t effecient enough to overcome that talent deficiency over a whole game yet. Recruiting will continue to trend up, esp on O.

Let's hope.

2 years ago we scored 21, gained 281 yards on 60 plays (4.68 YPP) with Mahoney at QB. Tonight we scored 26, gained 384 yards on 82 plays (4.68 YPP).

I want Dino to be given years to get the O right, because I truly think he's our last best shot. But I'll admit to being frustrated. I wasn't expecting it to be a machine at this point but I expected more.

We scored 26 points against a top 20 defense and people are frustrated by the offense. My how far we have come.

I get it. But we scored 21 two years ago with Shafer's "offense".

would've rather gotten curb stomped than lose like this.

Let's hope.

2 years ago we scored 21, gained 281 yards on 60 plays (4.68 YPP) with Mahoney at QB. Tonight we scored 26, gained 384 yards on 82 plays (4.68 YPP).

I want Dino to be given years to get the O right, because I truly think he's our last best shot. But I'll admit to being frustrated. I wasn't expecting it to be a machine at this point but I expected more.

This staff is making the best of it with pieces that don’t quite fit. Erv is a converted RB. Strickland is a S or Slot WR. Who is our other WR?

Dungey is very good at freelancing due to WR that can’t get separation on NFL DB’s. But he’s not a great passer. Playmaker? Yep. OL is young.

They are getting their handpicked players in recruiting, while being competitive.

For me, it’s clear - they are building it correctly.

That was the third best D we’ll see all year with NFL players all over.

The O isn’t effecient enough to overcome that talent deficiency over a whole game yet. Recruiting will continue to trend up, esp on O.

I think you've had this post on speed dial since the start of the shafer dynasty.

This staff is making the best of it with pieces that don’t quite fit. Erv is a converted RB. Strickland is a S or Slot WR. Who is our other WR?

Dungey is very good at freelancing due to WR that can’t get separation on NFL DB’s. But he’s not a great passer. Playmaker? Yep. OL is young.

They are getting their handpicked players in recruiting, while being competitive.

For me, it’s clear - they are building it correctly.

Agree completely that the pieces don't fit. For example, like you said, Dungey's a good QB, but he's not a great QB in this system.

I think you've had this post on speed dial since the start of the shafer dynasty.

You disagree?

I mean if you can’t see it, you can’t see it.

Too many mistakes, starting with the first play. Close enough otherwise to feel bad that a strong effort couldn't be rewarded.

D got better because we have 5 seniors (4th years) in the front seven, and Dino went out to land help.

O -- way too dependent on Dungey, Ishmael & Phillips. Not enough contribution from others.

On the one hand, we more than held our own against a much more talented team on the road.

On the other hand, we have zero room for mistakes, and our staff has made some bad decisions. We know the players can't be perfect, so we need the staff to be flawless, and they're not.

I'm all chips in on Dino, but some of the coaching decisions are odd.

I questioned the onsides solely because our D played decent and their QB was shaky. On board with everything else. Guy doesn’t have to be perfect. Catch the ball and we might’ve won.

You disagree?

I mean if you can’t see it, you can’t see it.

I'm happy with the game other than some obvious things. I want to believe things are getting better but I'm going to still wait and see to some degree. But I'm happy going into a SEC game and having a legit chance to win. Would have felt better winning like we did in Missouri with less talent but that's okay.

So, yes I see it.

I'm still pretty sure you've had this same post for every loss against big competition since Shafer's 1st year.

I think we are a RB and some WR seasoning away from winning this game - and maybe having 6-7 W's this season. Thought both lines played well enough to win.

I'm happy with the game other than some obvious things. I want to believe things are getting better but I'm going to still wait and see to some degree. But I'm happy going into a SEC game and having a legit chance to win. Would have felt better winning like we did in Missouri with less talent but that's okay.

So, yes I see it.

I'm still pretty sure you've had this same post for every loss against big competition since Shafer's 1st year.

Okay? Just for you, I’ll be more precise.

I saw improvement against bigger/faster players in how we matched up physically for the first time - this game. Still overmatched - but coaching, plus S&C is closing the gap. The recruits we have lined up right now are better than the ones playing now (if you go by projection - and what else is there?).

I think we are a RB and some WR seasoning away from winning this game - and maybe having 6-7 W's this season. Thought both lines played well enough to win.

Ya. DBs go to the top of the list for me. Their 2nd TD was the worst Safety play I've ever seen.

Pissed with the loss and mistakes.
Happy we looked liked a solid team.

Yeah, I felt this way as well. Just finished watching via DVR. Pretty much agree with all of the posts. Onsides kick at the end was a bad decision for sure. Not a traditional LSU power but still littered with 5/4 stars. Our team looked good. Physical and props to the DLine and LBs for hanging in there. We just can't run the ball. Only so much you can do on offense. That damn drop by The Flea was a killer. Dungey looked good. Threw some nice balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom