Not sure how to feel about this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not sure how to feel about this

Will never understand this line of thinking.

I legitimately feel better & more excited/optimistic about our team/staff/program/future than I did yesterday morning. To each their own, I guess.

RIGHT !! some are so used to losing ... I see this as a win More for recruiting than anything else . Real winning will come and and people will come to the Dome again .

This team is just not good enough to overcome the killer mistakes we seem to see week in and week out. I don't see this changing this year
I feel like the lack of running game spots the other team 7-10 points every game.
Too many dropped passes. Fixable but not hopeful this season.
D is giving up too many big plays. Fixable but not hopeful this season.
We are a flawed work with a margin for error that is too small to overcome versus the big boys. Roller coaster ride continues until we see if Dino can recruit his way out of the hole.

I don't read too much into this. LSU is not good. Our defense is better but the offense isn't.

The only thing I get on babers about is Strickland. Get someone else ready. No more carries for him. They should've thrown every down. Leach would've. Hey, how is WSU doing?

If you're going to run off your only good back, you better either replace him with someone competent or stop running the ball

This team is just not good enough to overcome the killer mistakes we seem to see week in and week out. I don't see this changing this year
I feel like the lack of running game spots the other team 7-10 points every game.
Too many dropped passes. Fixable but not hopeful this season.
D is giving up too many big plays. Fixable but not hopeful this season.
We are a flawed work with a margin for error that is too small to overcome versus the big boys. Roller coaster ride continues until we see if Dino can recruit his way out of the hole.

Context is important. We are better than we were last year, on both sides of the ball. The D last year couldn’t stop explosive plays, regular plays, or create TO’s. They keep on the current trajectory and we can pick off a team or two. Really surprising growth. We had more sacks than LSU and a freaking safety. I expected to not be very good on D. Ward is a keeper, IMO.

I’m beginning to think the focus on the inside running game is overrated a bit. Those outside screens were gaining 5-7 yds a pop - they are running plays. I want to have a back who can run up the middle with vision - and we will.

You’re right in that the margin is smaller than it will be. But I’m amped for the rest of the season - and very hopeful for the next couple.

I don't read too much into this. LSU is not good. Our defense is better but the offense isn't.

The only thing I get on babers about is Strickland. Get someone else ready. No more carries for him. They should've thrown every down. Leach would've. Hey, how is WSU doing?

If you're going to run off your only good back, you better either replace him with someone competent or stop running the ball

Strickland had 7 carries for 27 yards. We did move away from running him really.

Also - if you’d told me he’d have more rushing yds in this game than Guice at the beginning of the season, I’d have pooped myself.

Strickland had 7 carries for 27 yards. We did move away from running him really.

Also - if you’d told me he’d have more rushing yds in this game than Guice at the beginning of the season, I’d have pooped myself.

How is that relevant? Guice barely played.

over half of those yards came on one rush where he fumbled.

how is it still neal and strickland? we all saw this issue a year ago

over half of those yards came on one rush where he fumbled.

how is it still neal and strickland? we all saw this issue a year ago

Hat on ball it happens

I’m not sure they trust the freshman since he fumbled too. Moe did ok.

I largely agree - I just think you need to attack that part of the field in some way

At least we haven't read that receivers can't beat press coverage yet, when will that come up? I agree we need a new RB

I think we're pretty close to throwing every down.

If Syracuse had a home run threat, they'd throw it every down.

With that said I think it was meant to be one of them kicks that go like 30 yards and hope to bounce in between players.
I could not agree with this more. The way Dino was talking to Coach Lustig (ST Coordinator), it was like, "well, Justin, that was not what I asked for, but I still love you even when I am pissed."

I don't think it was an onside kick, but rather one of those high balls that maybe someone might botch at about the 25-yard line.

I don’t blame him for dropped passes.

But that onside kick was really dumb.

I’m glad we fought hard and showed up in a place like that but I can’t help but be a little (ok extremely) frustrated.
The execution on the onside kick was piss poor. It looked like they practiced it once or twice in practice. If anyone saw Oklahoma and Baylor, the Bears ran a perfect onside kick and recovered it.

I played football in high school and don't claim to be an ESPN football analyst, but we did not look prepared for that kick. I also realize that onside kicks are percentage wise a risk. I just wish they prepared more in practice for it so we would have had a better chance of recovery.

Let's hope.

2 years ago we scored 21, gained 281 yards on 60 plays (4.68 YPP) with Mahoney at QB. Tonight we scored 26, gained 384 yards on 82 plays (4.68 YPP).

I want Dino to be given years to get the O right, because I truly think he's our last best shot. But I'll admit to being frustrated. I wasn't expecting it to be a machine at this point but I expected more.
He is playing with someone else's players. He has made so many changes I think it shows the player's he had didn't fit his system. I think your frustration is a year premature.

Let's hope that is the case.

He is playing with someone else's players. He has made so many changes I think it shows the player's he had didn't fit his system. I think your frustration is a year premature.

Let's hope that is the case.

All of that is fair. I'm very much on record saying that it's year 3 that matters in evaluating a new coach. I agree that several of even the more talented players on the team, including the QB, aren't great fits for this offense.

Yeah, I didn't like the onside. It was inconsistent.

The other call I really dislikes was taking the pressure off right before halftime. We let their QB get comfortable. That was a bad decision.
I wonder if Coleman being out had anything to do with that. Didn't he go down at the end of the first half?

Fredericks ran himself off. This narrative drives me absolutely insane.

I could not agree with this more. The way Dino was talking to Coach Lustig (ST Coordinator), it was like, "well, Justin, that was not what I asked for, but I still love you even when I am pissed."

I don't think it was an onside kick, but rather one of those high balls that maybe someone might botch at about the 25-yard line.
I didnt get to see the onside kick, but my co worker told me in the morning that after the onside you could see babers frantically grab him (or someone) and scream his lungs into them.

I'm not holding my breath. Btw can we get Ravian involved and never throw to people named nykeim, devin, riley, Avant ever again?
yeah bring back Tim lane and Moss

whatever. he knows how to play the position. the guys he sat behind don't. they had a year to other guys
No, he didn't know how to play the position because he didn't know how to call the blocking assignments and he either couldn't learn them or chose not to learn them. That's a big part of this offense. Also, he showed up out of shape. So no, he didn't know how to play the position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom