Not to be negative but I don't see | Syracusefan.com

Not to be negative but I don't see

dasher

Living Legend
Ryan Blackwell when I see Matt Moyer. Ryan was really good. I was in Hawaii when he played for Ill against us. I said that night I was really impressed with him. Matt has a ways to go to be in that league. Just my opinion.

Ryan Blackwell when I see Matt Moyer. Ryan was really good. I was in Hawaii when he played for Ill against us. I said that night I was really impressed with him. Matt has a ways to go to be in that league. Just my opinion.

Ryan was a borderline top 25 recruit if I recall, wasn’t he? I remember lots of John Wallace comparisons coming out of high school.

I haven't compared them in terms of ability, but I see the size and athleticism where you could compare the two.

Moyer has a very very very long way to go to get to Blackwell's level if he ever gets there. Ryan was a very underrated player for us.

I think we have two good 4 year program guys in Moyer and Washington. Matt may have had an off night with the jumper. Not saying he's going to be a great shooter this year but he may have missed a couple that he will make. I was happy with his rebounding and hustle. Sprinkle in some points, assists, blocks, steals and you've got a solid contributor this year. I do agree that Blackwell could do a lot more with the ball than I've seen from Matt and he had a functionable jump shot even early at Illinois

I think we have two good 4 year program guys in Moyer and Washington. Matt may have had an off night with the jumper. Not saying he's going to be a great shooter this year but he may have missed a couple that he will make. I was happy with his rebounding and hustle. Sprinkle in some points, assists, blocks, steals and you've got a solid contributor this year. I do agree that Blackwell could do a lot more with the ball than I've seen from Matt and he had a functionable jump shot even early at Illinois

I think Marek, Sidibe, Moyer and Washington will be here 4 years (could see Moyer or Marek transfer due to playing time when 1 of them gets buried on the bench). If we have 3 of these guys in 2020 along with Carey, Buddy, and Hughes we could be looking at one of our best teams in our history. That doesn't even include some top 10-25 guy we bring in that year.

Yeah, Moyer is going to frustrate but will need to get some minutes beacuse he will do some dirty work and be a garbage guy. He sort of walks like a grandma out there. Roe noticed that too and said something funny. He doesn’t seem to be very skilled offensively.

Washington can give us a few good minutes here/there I think this year. He is solid with the ball and looks to be a terrific shooter. His defense MUST improve though. He lets guys blow by him routinely.

Last edited:
I think Marek, Sidibe, Moyer and Washington will be here 4 years (could see Moyer or Marek transfer due to playing time when 1 of them gets buried on the bench). If we have 3 of these guys in 2020 along with Carey, Buddy, and Hughes we could be looking at one of our best teams in our history. That doesn't even include some top 10-25 guy we bring in that year.
Without bazley that seems like a bold statement coming from you.

Haven’t seen the game yet but think you are being too hard on Moyer. This is his first competitive game in years. I think he will be a 4 year player that will help us a lot over the course of his career, getting better every year

RSCI- 60
2for7 comp- 66
rovals- 40
espn- 74
--avg of 60

He wasn't an elite level recruit but was better than "barely top 100"

He also won Gatorade player of the year for Connecticut his senior year at South Kent.

What I saw from him last night, he can/should fill in and do what Roberson should have done last year(rebound and hustle on defense) except he will score 6-8 points more a game than Robey was, only due to the fact he is a tad better offensively than Roberson was last year. I'm not expecting much more than that right now. Over the next four years, I expect that we'll see tons of improvement in his overall game. He's a "gamer" though, and you can never have too many of those guys on your roster! Of course you need the skilled guys mixed in as well...but you know what I mean.

Could not agree more. People want him to be great because he is a great kid... but he is our 3rd best forward and our 7th/8th best player. He is going to be on the pine alot come crunch time IMO. Very robotic and limited.

Without bazley that seems like a bold statement coming from you.
He is a hot take artist. Little substance. Marek will not be here on two years let alone four. He will be getting paid, whether in the NBA or europe.

Someone needs to explain to me how Marek is going to score in the half court. I’ve seen him twice now and I don’t see it.

I agree, it was pretty much what I expected from Matt. I think he'll be one of those guys who does the dirty work - rebounding and hustle, like you mention. And that's still a nice contribution. Seems like there have been a lot of those guys who have killed us over the years. Then, hopefully his overall game will become more refined as he develops.

Not comparing him to Jerami Grant but I see more of that in Moyer than Blackwell. A lot of Matt's success will have to come from him being more athletic than everybody else.

He had like 8 rebounds, played good D, played with hustle and energy, had a block, and an assist.
He also had several "hockey assists" where his initial pass led to another one which led to a bucket.
I totally see a Frosh CJ sorta season for him - and there's exactly nothing wrong with that. :cool:

FWIW, he played the most minutes of anyone last night, so apparently JB wasn't displeased with his play.
I'll go with JB's opinion over yours. ;)

The funny part about this thread is the dependence of some on a rating system based on almost nothing.

One wonders how anyone could objectively, credibly judge the difference between the 50th and 60th best high school players in the US. What, pray tell, is the basis for that?

We'll find out who the best players are ... in two, three or four years.

I think Moyer can be a Blackwell type player when he reaches his potential. Either that or he works hard on his foot work to develop a post game. Personally I think this would better suit him given his frame and tenacity on the boards. He can add a spot up jumper to go with his ability to handle it and then it gives him more utility than as a glue guy wing who struggles to shoot.

The thing with Moyer is he can already dribble. Roberson was here for 4 years and couldn’t even do that.
Oh...I wished everytime I saw TR with the ball that this wasn't a million percent true!

Blackwell had an offensive game with some mid range skills. Moyer doesn't seem to have any of that. He looks more like what we usually have at center in terms of offensive ability, but about 3-4 inches shorter. He's going to have to be a garbage man and work his tail off to get production, so I think it's a bit of a concern.

Not judging anyone's game off that scrimmage but by the eye test Moyer needs to get in better shape. Fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom